SWFC Loan Watch Returns! (part one)

Having another four players out on domestic loans kinda justifies a new batch of weekly updates IMO  :biggrin:

I'll miss the regular visits to exotic foreign locations, like we had the second half of last season, but since none of those players technically came back anyway ...

Just have to wait 'n see what happens when January rolls around

So, the four we have to be going on with then ...

Jack Stobbs made his Port Vale debut last weekend at home to Crewe

He was subbed off at half time with his side down to 10 men and losing 1-0

tbh I haven't much time for Michael Brown (their new manager) and I'm sure this was a tactical switch anyway, but I think a loan out for senior experience is long overdue as far as Jack's concerned and I'm hoping he'll be given plenty of opportunities to shine over the length of a full season there

Incidentally, Port Vale played again midweek - Oldham away in the Chickenfeed Trophy - finished 0-0 with Vale winning on pens, Jack watched all the excitement from the bench

Jordan Thorniley has followed in Sean Clare's footsteps by joining Accrington for half a season

20yr old and signed from Everton last summer, he was a regular fixture in our championship winning U23s and one of a number from that side who'll be looking to kick on from last season

So good luck to him, although he could face stiff competition - Accy signed another three loanees this week

Sean Clare latest loan out sees him progress from League2 Accy to League1 Gillingham

It's fair to say he was doing really well before injury brought an early end to last season, but he's started this one like he means business - following a strong pre-season by featuring regularly for our U23s and bagging a couple of goals in the process

He has a big opportunity between now and January - I hope his luck holds this time around

Sam Winnall will surely be the one to catch the eye though

Can't say I'm ever thrilled to see our players loaned out to rivals and if he does well for a side sitting above us in the table then some of the blame is sure to land at Carlos' feet

Personally though - and as much as I can appreciate the qualities Sam brings to our team - he is currently our 4th choice striker at best, and although he clearly has an eye for goal it seems to desert him more often than not

Maybe, like Jordan Rhodes, he's just been trying too hard

Maybe it's a confidence thing

I won't be sorry to see him do well for those sheep worriers, as long as it doesn't have a bad effect on our own season

If he's a roaring success it's bound to increase his value and it is just a loan after all, he'll return a better player (in theory)

Either way, it's one I'm certain we'll all follow with interest

As for those who we thought might have gone out on loan but didn't?

Well, it means they remain Wednesday players - and what bigger incentive do they need to excel?  :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

Great post Ethel, will it be continuously updated? pinned? Love to keep track on everyone especially Clare, just got a feeling he's the one to watch.

Yep, I'll keep it going  :biggrin:

Agree re: Sean Clare - unfortunate with injury just as he seemed to be taking League2 football in his stride, let's hope he can make up for it

I'm also hoping Jack Stobbs gets 30+ games to show what he can do - feels like ages since Stu gave him a run out, forget he's still only 20 - needs to progress all the same

Ideally, I'd have preferred either Joe Wildsmith or Cam Dawson out on loan somewhere and playing regularly until January, perhaps with a recall option, especially as neither get much involvement with the U23s these days

George Hirst too, although I had a hunch he'd be staying put after this window closed

Can't help but feel his 'advisors' are too eager to chase fortune before fame has been achieved, I really hope common sense prevails

That comment from Notts County is an indicator, suggesting an 18yr old with no senior experience to speak of would be their highest earner

It's ridiculous

Bottom line (for me) is: You can't bank on potential

I really don't think he'd damage his long term prospects by signing an extension and continuing his development with us

But for some it's all about money - sad but true

41 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Yep, I'll keep it going  :biggrin:

Agree re: Sean Clare - unfortunate with injury just as he seemed to be taking League2 football in his stride, let's hope he can make up for it

I'm also hoping Jack Stobbs gets 30+ games to show what he can do - feels like ages since Stu gave him a run out, forget he's still only 20 - needs to progress all the same

Ideally, I'd have preferred either Joe Wildsmith or Cam Dawson out on loan somewhere and playing regularly until January, perhaps with a recall option, especially as neither get much involvement with the U23s these days

George Hirst too, although I had a hunch he'd be staying put after this window closed

Can't help but feel his 'advisors' are too eager to chase fortune before fame has been achieved, I really hope common sense prevails

That comment from Notts County is an indicator, suggesting an 18yr old with no senior experience to speak of would be their highest earner

It's ridiculous

Bottom line (for me) is: You can't bank on potential

I really don't think he'd damage his long term prospects by signing an extension and continuing his development with us

But for some it's all about money - sad but true

Joe Wildsmith is going nowhere he is our No.2 goalkeeper

11 minutes ago, jerseyowl said:

Joe Wildsmith is going nowhere he is our No.2 goalkeeper

He still needs games though, jerseyowl

Same with Dawson

Potentially (that word again) two outstanding young keepers

But look at Jordan Pickford as an example ...

He's spent virtually his entire career out on loan - 29 apps non-league at Darlington & Alfreton

30 apps League2 at Burton & Carlisle

33 apps League1 at Bradford

24 apps Championship at Preston

31 apps in the PL for Sunderland (basically one season)

... and now at age 23 he's with the England squad after Everton broke the transfer record for a keeper

You think he'd be where he is now if he'd stayed on Sunderland's bench as their No.2?

By comparison, Joe is now 21yr old, he's managed 11 apps in the Championship for us, 2 apps for Barnsley and 2 apps non-league for Alfreton

Cameron is 22 and he's managed 4 apps for us, 1 app in League2 for Wycombe and 17 non-league for Alfreton

They need to get out more !!  Both of 'em !!

Gillingham  1-2  Shrewsbury

I'd normally put the attendance figure up too, to give us an idea of atmosphere etc - but the folks down at Gillingham aren't for telling

Anyhow, Sean Clare made his Gills debut as a 65min sub, coming on with his side already trailing from two first half goals

They managed to pull one back but the result leaves them winless and 3rd from bottom in League1, whereas Shrewsbury are 2nd on goal difference and doing great!

Morecambe  1-2  Accrington           (att:  2,059)

Jordan Thorniley plays the whole game and starts his Accy career with a win that moves his side up to 3rd in League2

The result made easier by ex-Owl academy player Vadaine Oliver getting sent off after about an hour

Port Vale  0-1  Notts County        (att: 4,656)

Jack Stobbs also coming off the bench (77mins) with his side trailing

That's two home apps for him and two defeats - leaving his side second bottom of League2

oo-er

Edited by Ethel The Tree

Just have enough time to squeeze these in ...

Derby  5-0  Hull           (att: 25,107)

Last night's tv game (which I didn't watch, cos I don't have Sky) saw Sam Winnall make his Derby debut as a 73rd minute sub

As his new side were already five up it suggests he's swapped one tough-looking pecking order for another

It's still one I'll watch with a casual interest

As for the result, perhaps that says more about Hull - I dunno really

Accrington  3-0  Carlisle         (att: 2,120)

Jordan Thorniley on the other hand marks his second full game with a second win, that helps move his side up to 2nd in League2

I see he was up against Hallam Hope in Carlisle's side - remember him? No, me neither

Oxford  3-0  Gillingham        (att: 6,730)

Sean Clare was an unused sub for this one

Three 2nd half goals in about 8mins means a second consecutive defeat dumps Gillingham 2nd bottom of League1

Port Vale can go one better than that

A third consecutive 1-0 defeat (this time away to Coventry) means they prop up the entire EFL - bottom of League2

Fortunately (or not, depending) Jack Stobbs wasn't part of their matchday squad

Just out of curiosity, I've spent some time this morning sifting through various Port Vale sites trying to find any explanation why Jack Stobbs didn't make their squad on Saturday

Hardly surprising to read concerns over their poor start, especially as they've failed to score in their last five games

Similar to Chesterfield I suppose, freshly relegated, their fans would be hoping for a strong start as opposed to be being down there propping up the league after six games

Michael Brown is understandably feeling the heat and is critical of his side's lack of creativity

Which makes Jack's absence all the more puzzling

There's no suggestion of injury or anything (that's good), but although he's only had bit-parts in their first team so far ...

96min sub v Chesterfield (a) 0-2  

Replaced at half time v Crewe (h) 0-1

77min sub v Notts Co (h) 0-1

... he did play the full 90mins in their reserves 3-0 win away at Walsall in midweek - scoring the first himself, and claiming assists for the other two

hmm ...

First up ...

Wimbledon  1-1  Gillingham      (att: 3,819)

http://www.skysports.com/football/afc-wdon-vs-gillingham/375243

Big night for Sean Clare - capping his first start with the equalizer in 1st half injury time, moments after his side were reduced to 10 men

Ignore the description in the Sky report, I'm sure you'll agree it was a reyt strike!

Gills' manager was full of praise for the effort and workrate 2nd half that ensured a share of the spoils, although the point leaves them rooted to the foot of League1

7 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

First up ...

Wimbledon  1-1  Gillingham      (att: 3,819)

http://www.skysports.com/football/afc-wdon-vs-gillingham/375243

Big night for Sean Clare - capping his first start with the equalizer in 1st half injury time, moments after his side were reduced to 10 men

Ignore the description in the Sky report, I'm sure you'll agree it was a reyt strike!

Gills' manager was full of praise for the effort and workrate 2nd half that ensured a share of the spoils, although the point leaves them rooted to the foot of League1

gills are sh*te this year, scallys given up totally with putting any cash into the club, and he wasn't exactly free spending to start with