How do you rate the squad now?

8 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

We're a top 5 squad, no doubt; and I can see us breaking top 2.

Best keeper in the Championship, the best attackers in the Championship, a very strong midfield and a much improved defence.

If we had a better fullbacks I'd say we had one of the outright strongest teams in the league.

I'm really looking forward to the next run of games.

This if we play the right way and be positive! But Carlos won't !

If you can't get that squad in the top 6 you may as well walk away from football.

Better full backs and pace is what is lacking from that squad. Shame we could not get the Montero deal over the line.

If Carlos does not drastically improve things, a potential new manager has the tools there and can bring the 2/3 additions in January.

Not read the whole thread so apologies etc.

this mythical proven championship defender, presumably refers to the likes of handley et al?

are they any better than Lees and loovens at getting the game moving? I'm not convinced they are. Good defenders admittedly but are they still going to pass square and hoof it, which has been one of our main problems.

dont honestly know anything about the two new centre backs but they both have reputations as being very comfy on the ball.

8 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

You think our full backs are good enough? we dont have an obvious gap in midfield? we have enough pace in attack? or that we don't face to i many strikers that will get 12/13 instead f 20+?

have you seen anything other than highlights of these defenders or are you saying that in theory their increased ability should enable us to get the ball through the lines quicker? I feel just in theory then I ask you why we didn't go get a proven champ player in dean for half the money of the Dutch guy.

Because Dean is the same kind of player as Lees we needed a ball playing centre back and Jooost fits the bill...young, big lad and comfortable on the ball

4 players too many for me. New manager needed to freshen up ideas and attitudes. Someone with a bit of football nous to help Chansiri, I'm grateful for his money and how he has moved us forward but now without the right direction we are moving backwards under him.

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

4 players too many for me. New manager needed to freshen up ideas and attitudes. Someone with a bit of football nous to help Chansiri, I'm grateful for his money and how he has moved us forward but now without the right direction we are moving backwards under him.

Backwards would be not challenging for promotion for another season...come back in March...what we need is to get over the line after being in situ at the business end of the season which I've no doubt which is where we will be

Edited by daveyboy66

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

We aren't progressing . We have some very good players but also a fair few crocks that really aren't up to it anymore . 

The manager has one tactic which constantly fails against teams like burton . We are far from poor, but will come up short again. I think we will be arund 10th this year .

And yet you wouldn't put your money where your mouth is like Blue and White...at least he has some cojones...were all eunuchs aren't we lol 

I'm happy that the squad has stability ability and experience and is beginning to tick. Against two very different teams away from home they gradually wrested control of the game, won one and (I think with a normal referee) should have won the other. I do think it is a tough division but we can live with anyone and I can see why Carlos is opting for experienced  players/ a team designed to control games. 

TBH I think the problems will be at home - having enough flair to break down well set defences, the necessary speed over five yards to get behInd teams that are already sat deep and last but not least, physical presence in the middle that was so cruelly exposed by Hull in May 2015. Unless we are more urgent from the start of games I can see more fan frustration, heroic draws instead of comfortable victories.

Strangely, I can't  help but feel this team is now even more reliant on FF and though I rate him highly, I would have swapped him for Jota - a goal scoring midfielder who is actually happy to play there. 

6.5/10 - would bite your hand off for a play off place. 

We have an alright squad. For me we have too many of the same player in same positions rather than players with different qualities. 

We need to find how to create chances. I worry that who ever with play with Carlos will always shackle them up.

What I find interesting is that we have 2 of every animal so to speak.

Lees and Loovens are both stoppers, out and out defenders.  The two new guys are ball playing CBs who can start things moving.

Hutch and Jones are both defensive minded midfielders who break up play. Butterfield and Bannan are playmakers and Lee and Abdi are the forward running late charge midfielders to support the attack.  

Boyd and Wallace both like to cut in but can get a decent cross in. Reach and Matias are more direct on the left.

Fletcher and Rhodes like to attack balls into the box while Hooper and FF drop off, connect the play and then try to poach.

The key now is trying to work out what the best XI is and making the most of the talents of these players. The one thing we know for certain is that we have good depth in the event of an injury and the ability to change up the style of play if things don't work with plan A.

Regardless, I think most teams in the division would like this squad and we need to give them our support to gel rather than use it as a stick to beat the manager at the first sign of a mistake.

11 minutes ago, StarmanNWC said:

What I find interesting is that we have 2 of every animal so to speak.

Lees and Loovens are both stoppers, out and out defenders.  The two new guys are ball playing CBs who can start things moving.

Hutch and Jones are both defensive minded midfielders who break up play. Butterfield and Bannan are playmakers and Lee and Abdi are the forward running late charge midfielders to support the attack.  

Boyd and Wallace both like to cut in but can get a decent cross in. Reach and Matias are more direct on the left.

Fletcher and Rhodes like to attack balls into the box while Hooper and FF drop off, connect the play and then try to poach.

The key now is trying to work out what the best XI is and making the most of the talents of these players. The one thing we know for certain is that we have good depth in the event of an injury and the ability to change up the style of play if things don't work with plan A.

Regardless, I think most teams in the division would like this squad and we need to give them our support to gel rather than use it as a stick to beat the manager at the first sign of a mistake.

Thanks mate. You've cheered me up - there could be a strategy after all!!

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Mcmanaman to Sunderland. It will be interesting to see whether Grayson can use him effectively and get the best out of him as he has done with McGeady. If he does it will  vindicate the criticism Carlos has been getting re his man-management skills (or lack of them). The same can be said of McGugan who TBF has had problems wherever he's been other than when being on loan for us in the first instance when SG was in charge. 

Sunderland could be a very dangerous side with those two out wide ! Given they have kept Kone and have Cattermole in CM they look solid. 

34 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Backwards would be not challenging for promotion for another season...come back in March...what we need is to get over the line after being in situ at the business end of the season which I've no doubt which is where we will be

Trouble is I don't think we will be challenging again this season. We were lucky to get to that position again last season and the fans were bored to tears. The way we've started this season shows that nothing has changed.

All we can do is work with the squad we've got now. Which everyone is in agreement that it is a quality side. The last 13 months have suggested to me that it is the management that is causing the problem.

3 hours ago, Blisnot said:

With all this negative crap on Owlstalk the teams got no bloody chance.

We've got what  we've got. Start bloody supporting. Although it seems like suicide's an option for some.

My 41st year at Hillsborough and I'm going to enjoy it.

:duntmatter: