How do you rate the squad now?

I think we're going to come unstuck this season.

Things already seem stale. We had a chance to freshen things up, either by bringing in some pace on loan or by wheeling and dealing. But we've wasted another window, and a good chance to address our weaknesses. I'm baffled by our recruitment. On paper they're quality but we're top heavy in some areas and light in others. It's crazy how we've ignored our obvious need for some pace and power.

The thing is the squad as got a lot of quality within in it but we're hindered by the tactics plus a lot of our players are too similar to one another. I don't think you can stand still in this division. I think plenty of other teams have been smarter and we're going to struggle to remain a top 6 side this season. Realistically, even despite the last two seasons and our quality keeper and attack, I just don't think we've got enough this season to make it. We needed freshening up and we simply haven't freshened things up nowhere near enough. Instead of pushing on with a double play off achieving top 6 squad, I feel like we've stood still and multiple others have caught up or overtaken us. This season it will tell, sadly I can't honestly see this squad this season achieving top 6, unless we freshen things up in January.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

It's a very good squad now and I just wish we'd lined up our business before the season started so they'd have hit the ground running.

But whatever has happened we need to support the 11 fellas that are out there 100% of the time or we won't get anywhere.

The players feed off us to a degree...we are their fuel on the pitch.

CC is our manager and DC will sort out any issues. 6th then 4th is very good for a coach that didn't know English football but meaningless in the grand scheme of things...2nd or 1st is our goal.

DC/CC team is the reason we have gone from relegation avoiders to Championship contenders in 2 seasons. It's a testimony to them that we have so much negativity on these threads now...they've raised expectations to a very high level.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, House Stark said:

Depends which manager is picking the team and tactics.

Carlos - 4/10

Anyone Else - 8/10

You're losing your grip on logic and rational thinking in your mad dash to criticise our head coach.

Do you really think every other manager would have got us higher than 6th and 4th in the last two seasons?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Strengths

Excellent first choice keeper

A strong set of central midfielders when fit

3 very good champ standard strikers

2 potentially good young central defenders signed ( have to see them first of course)

Weaknesses

Glaring lack of pace throughout the squad

1 bad injury (Westwood) away from looking dreadfully inexperienced and exposed between the sticks

A collection of very samey , one dimensional wide men (only one who offers something different is Mattias who, now we have him fit is being ignored)

Average first choice full backs..............poor second choice full backs.

A chance of top six with the right formation / tactical approach / intent but not at all confident that will happen under present regime.

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

Strengths

Excellent first choice keeper

A strong set of central midfielders when fit

3 very good champ standard strikers

2 potentially good young central defenders signed ( have to see them first of course)

Weaknesses

Glaring lack of pace throughout the squad

1 bad injury (Westwood) away from looking dreadfully inexperienced and exposed between the sticks

A collection of very samey , one dimensional wide men (only one who offers something different is Mattias who, now we have him fit is being ignored)

Average first choice full backs..............poor second choice full backs.

A chance of top six with the right formation / tactical approach / intent but not at all confident that will happen under present regime.

Well said and agree, although we've still got a chance for top 6 with this unbalanced and experienced squad at the same time we're weakest in danger of standing still and being left behind. Due to a combination of poor recruitment and negative tactics, with a distinct lack of pace and power. 

For me we haven't clearly improved the first XI and that's a problem for a team that's fallen short  two seasons on the bounce. 

Especially when loads of teams around  us clearly have. Look at the signings brum have made for example.

Poor window imho.

Love to know how recruitment works at s6. Seems pretty haphazard to me.

46 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

No pace 

Beckham, Tommy Craig, John Sheridan etc didn't have pace and look how poorly they did. I think we definately need pace!!

59 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You're losing your grip on logic and rational thinking in your mad dash to criticise our head coach.

Do you really think every other manager would have got us higher than 6th and 4th in the last two seasons?

Not necessarily but I think a different manager would have made a success of one of our playoff chances

With all this negative crap on Owlstalk the teams got no bloody chance.

We've got what  we've got. Start bloody supporting. Although it seems like suicide's an option for some.

My 41st year at Hillsborough and I'm going to enjoy it.

10 minutes ago, poite said:

Not necessarily but I think a different manager would have made a success of one of our playoff chances

I'm sure some managers would, and some managers wouldn't. Equally, I'm sure some managers would have guided us into the playoff places as Carlos did, and some managers wouldn't.

It's all hypothetical of course, but to suggest that every other manager would be doing a better job than Carlos is pessimistic beyond belief, and just isn't borne out by the fact that whereas Carlos has probably overachieved and then achieved par for the course in his first two seasons in English football, there are countless managers who have underachieved and paid the price for it up and down the country.