Just me happy with Butterfield?

With only Bannan and Jones fit surely anybody with championship experience coming in is useful? 

We'd never be spending a fortune on a midfielder with the likes of Abdi, Lee, Hutch on the way back so a short term cover with local lad that appears to have a point to prove looks sensible to say the least. 

Fair swap for Winnall, at least we've heard of him. Like Winnall too and would have kept him but things like this work both ways, perhaps Derby wanted him more. Maybe he'll come back to us a an even better player. Would still go with Fletcher and Rhose up front with Hooper in the hole, put FF in Lee's role

with boyd & Wallace vying for the right side ,reach & FF on the left . bannan a shoo in for  the centre it's going to be a hell of a battle for the other spot between abdi, butterfield ,lee,hutch,& jones  if carlos persists with playing his preferred  4-4-2..........as for the deal it makes sense to ship winnall out if he isn't going to play him .cant say I've ever noticed butterfield but he seems to have a decent record at this level and will hopefully be a good addition to the squad .

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

With only Bannan and Jones fit surely anybody with championship experience coming in is useful? 

We'd never be spending a fortune on a midfielder with the likes of Abdi, Lee, Hutch on the way back so a short term cover with local lad that appears to have a point to prove looks sensible to say the least. 

Abdi and Hutch can both go for me. We wont utilise Abdi properly and Hutch cant last a full season either through injury or red cards. He doesnt suit a 442 in mdfield either what CC plays. If we played a 352 it might be different.

Imaginative deal that rebalances squad a bit. Jones needs competition or upgrading if butterfield finds form, hutch struggles to be fit and we have too many strikers.

Winnall a good pro but a step down from fletch/rhodes, hope he does ok there or could be back, especially if they dont have player like hourihane to put it on a plate for him.

With no attacking wingers we needed a pacy winger but without one we are crying out for ff behind hooper n rhodes in a 3412.

He just seems a player we didn't really need at this time or should I say the type of player we don't need. We are crying out for a midfielder either with pace or a powerful no nonsense midfielder. We seem to have so many similar players in midfield already did we really need to add Butterfield to that. At best I can only see him as a bench warmer, can't see CC dropping Bannan or Jones, we then would have Lee or Hutch to come in and even Abdi. 

Hopefully he adds quality and something different to our midfield plus importantly creativity and goals. I hope it works out and he proves to be a smart signing that strengthens our midfield. But I can't help feeling like we still lack pace, power and dynamism in the side. I agree though, that we've got quite a few players with similar attributes and a distinct lack of pace and power.

10 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

He just seems a player we didn't really need at this time or should I say the type of player we don't need. We are crying out for a midfielder either with pace or a powerful no nonsense midfielder. We seem to have so many similar players in midfield already did we really need to add Butterfield to that. At best I can only see him as a bench warmer, can't see CC dropping Bannan or Jones, we then would have Lee or Hutch to come in and even Abdi. 

• Like 1

15/16 Played 42 out of 48 Championship matches. Scored 8.

16/17 Played 40 out of 46. Scored 1.

Tells us he is a fit lad. Great injury record. Clearly can score around the same number as Lee, but not as consistently. Six of his eight goals came in the space of 19 games. Perhaps he is a confidence player in terms of his attacking threat?

Can't argue that he doesn't significantly strengthen us. Last year for quite a spell we had two fit CMs. 

We will soon have to pick two from Bannan, Jones, Lee, Hutch, Butterfield and Abdi. Great position to be in, but not without dilemma.

For me....

Cant/shouldn't split Jones and Bannan. Unbeaten in 9. End of imo.

Lee to come back in if Bannan and Jones struggle.

Then Butterfield.

Hutch should be back-up in CM. That's all.

Abdi - beginning to despair. Doesn't warrant a place unfortunately.

not bothered about winnall going and butterfield is decent but.....

not as dynamic as I would have liked and gets injured alot

ive just seen the stats above and if right my injury comment is flawed

I can remember him being out for about a season

Edited by waynecoyne14

8 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

If you think Butterfield is a defensive midfielder. U need to quit watching football mate. 

I should wait until you see him. Never know the tactics with CC in charge. Anything could happen.

8 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Decent attacking midfielder in with a point to prove, I think he'll do well here. 

I'm predicting a Tom Lees version 2, going to have a reyt season after coming here during a bad time at a dodgy side. 

I'm happy with the signing. Too many strikers were in the club and we had to get one out although there were others I would have got rid of before Winnall. Butterfield will be a good signing if he is allowed to earn a first team place on merit. My Huddersfield colleague thinks he will do well.