TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY NEWS THREAD

Mr C will stick with Carlos

New players will be introduced to shake things up, rather than change the manager

Central defender recruitments to be followed by midfield recruitments

Players to leave. Not because of FFP but simply to freshen things up / shake the squad up a bit

The money has always been there. Talk of FFP has been to eliminate ridiculous asking prices for players when Wednesday have enquired for them

Carlos now having a bigger say on who is recruited. Some lessons have been learned

Collecting players for the sake of it a thing of the past

New recruits will have a specific purpose as Carlos wants to play positive passing football.

Likelihood George Hirst wiil be secured on a long term contract within the next couple of weeks.

All good. I'm sure someone mentioned all this stuff over the last week or so, but worth reiterating :0)

Oh, and here's Uncle Biggsy's latest column.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/alan-biggs-sheffield-wednesday-need-signings-to-get-players-out-of-their-comfort-zone-1-8729505

Edited by theowlsman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Arnold
27 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Van Aken said in his interview that there had been interest from the Owls a month ago, but it was a case of waiting. Waiting until Wednesday received an acceptable bid for one of their players to fund the move?

Or waiting to see if the Djourou deal worked out. 

27 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Van Aken said in his interview that there had been interest from the Owls a month ago, but it was a case of waiting. Waiting until Wednesday received an acceptable bid for one of their players to fund the move?

My interpretation of that was that it summed up the reality of the transfer window for us. We were in early, the player is wanting to fully explore his options as there was some talk of Lazio being interesred, so understandable. We had to be patient and hope things settled and we'd eventually get our man. My take anyway.

Not expecting owt to happen today. Could be exciting if it did though. What do we need now? Pace out wide? Who moves aside to make room? A strong holding midfielder? Again we're pretty full in that department. I guess if it's a step up on current personnel it's worth considering but I'm not expecting any more in. 

10 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

New players will be introduced to shake things up, rather than change the manager

Players to leave. Not because of FFP but simply to freshen things up / shake the squad up a bit

The money has always been there. Talk of FFP has been to eliminate ridiculous asking prices for players when Wednesday have enquired for them

Carlos now having a bigger say on who is recruited. Some lessons have been learned

New recruits will have a specific purpose as Carlos wants to play positive passing football.

Likelihood George Hirst wiil be secured on a long term contract within the next couple of weeks.

All good. I'm sure someone mentioned all this stuff over the last week or so, but worth reiterating :0)

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/alan-biggs-sheffield-wednesday-need-signings-to-get-players-out-of-their-comfort-zone-1-8729505

Bravo!! This.

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

My interpretation of that was that it summed up the reality of the transfer window for us. We were in early, the player is wanting to fully explore his options as there was some talk of Lazio being interesred, so understandable. We had to be patient and hope things settled and we'd eventually get our man. My take anyway.

May very well be true. That's what I hope. I want us to keep FF and Rhodesia because now he's got his CBs he might change the system and use them more effectively.

12 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Good points. The squad certainly needs a shake up. No problem with that at all

Uncle Biggsy raises a valid point in that some of the players seem to have become complacent.

Someone had to say it, some of them don't appear to have been giving their all recently. And hinted at by Barry Bannan who in my eyes definitely does give his best everytime he puts the shirt on (even though he sometimes looks below par).

Recently had a little dig at team mates by saying more effort was required. I'd imagine anyone leaving might fall into the category of not committing fully to the cause recently.