On this day 1975

The Owls were on the Road to Hereford having a taste of Third division football for the very first time.

I was sat in Hair By Paul on Walkley Lane having my golden shoulder length lox removed to be replaced by a girlie blow wave.

I had an appointment to keep at St Timothy s Church Slinn Street Crookes...It was my wedding day.

The summer had been a real scorcher but the weather Gods chose this day for the skies to open.

The Wedding had some very tall Bridesmaids amongst my future sister in laws as the platform shoes were in vogue.

We were less than a year away from the 'Save Our Wednesday' campaign and me becoming a minor shareholder.

The reception went well, but I had trouble preventing my mind wandering off to Hereford.

An aviation fuel tax levi had scuppered our Parisian honeymoon plans, so it was Blackpool for us.

Darlington away in a league cup replay to be missed.

Some one in the door beckoning me ...A downward thumb 3 fingers on the left hand and one on the right. Down 3-1 at Hereford.

Well 42 years later Diane is still around as are our 4 kids and 8 Grandchildren all confirmed Owls, and Wednesday are still around and in a healthier position than they have ever been. I wish the same could be said for me !

Happy Anniversary to Diane a true saint.            

• Like 2

Some great memories. Must have been a few years later that I went down to Hereford - still at school maybe 13 or 14. We won 1.0, which made up for a very long coach trip. One of those days when the home supporters weren't too happy with some cheeky lads from Sheffield and remember having to explain to my dad how my black eye was just an accidental fall!  

I was also there watching yet another depressing performance by Wednesday (most were not fit to wear the shirts!).  If my memory serves me right two of our top boys got arrested, charged & incarcerated after a confrontation with the old bill in Worcester that evening. RIP : Colin W.

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The Owls were on the Road to Hereford having a taste of Third division football for the very first time.

I was sat in Hair By Paul on Walkley Lane having my golden shoulder length lox removed to be replaced by a girlie blow wave.

I had an appointment to keep at St Timothy s Church Slinn Street Crookes...It was my wedding day.

The summer had been a real scorcher but the weather Gods chose this day for the skies to open.

The Wedding had some very tall Bridesmaids amongst my future sister in laws as the platform shoes were in vogue.

We were less than a year away from the 'Save Our Wednesday' campaign and me becoming a minor shareholder.

The reception went well, but I had trouble preventing my mind wandering off to Hereford.

An aviation fuel tax levi had scuppered our Parisian honeymoon plans, so it was Blackpool for us.

Darlington away in a league cup replay to be missed.

Some one in the door beckoning me ...A downward thumb 3 fingers on the left hand and one on the right. Down 3-1 at Hereford.

Well 42 years later Diane is still around as are our 4 kids and 8 Grandchildren all confirmed Owls, and Wednesday are still around and in a healthier position than they have ever been. I wish the same could be said for me !

Happy Anniversary to Diane a true saint.            

A Happy Anniversary to you both. However, I take issue with you about the club being in a healthier position than they have ever been. We were in a better position in the early and mid 1960s, we were in a better position in the mid 1980s and we were in a better position during most of the 1990s. We remain in "Division 2" and having got close to promotion for 2 years running, have made a poor start to the 2017/18 season. It feels much more like 1983 when big Jack resigned declaring that he just couldn't get us over the promotion line; Howard Wilkinson came in and did it in his first season.

53 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Just looked at the team that day:

Ramsbottom, Cameron, Quinn, Mullen, Dowd, McIver, Potts, Harvey, Herbert, Prendo, Henson....sub Knighton.

And Burtenshaw in charge.

Bloody hell....the stuff of nightmares. 

nothing wrong with Eric Potts  Prendo Colin Harvey or Ken Knighton but..........

it also got better than that though with the new blood......Proudlove,Feely,Hull,Watling  ,Derek Bell  (wink wink)  am sure there were others.

Got to say poor planning with the wedding day mate. I got married the same year but arranged it for Semi Final day as we had a home game with Villa that was odds on to be postponed.  Sure enough it was so a footie free wedding for me, only problem was in the rearranged game Villa thumped us 4-0. lol

• Haha 1