George Hirst Off!!

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I don't think he should be anywhere near the bench until he has proven he can do it at some level of professional football. Until then I'd stick with the ones who definitely have proven themselves at our level. If he doesn't want to (sign a contract and...) go out on loan then what can we do. His choice and both parties take their chances.

Same old golf conundrum - " you can only join the club if you have a golf handicap but wait a minute you need to play and submit cards to get a handicap" 

Give the lad his chance or do not complain if he successfully plies his trade elsewhere. 

Everyone on here is so sure he is not ready but I would hazard a guess very few have ever seen him play. Everton and Liverpool to name just two promote their young and proactively go shopping for younger players. How many of the proven championship strikers to which refer were regulars at international level in their early years ? Besides we are not currently slamming them in right now are we ?

i would love to sing "he's one of our own" with him a Wednesday 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

The club have seemingly set out a fair plan u23 last season, loan this season, likely first team next season should he do well on loan.

That is a clear pathway. This can't be about opportunities as any other club would only do the same. 

I believe you're right, in a earlier post you speculated that there was still an offer with favourable sell on clauses attached, this would make sense as to why he's not playing at all at the moment or going out on loan if only to avoid an injury.

If he doesn't sign a contract I believe the club will take the option to sell.

As a rider to this (I'm paraphrasing now)

I have heard Hirst senior on more than one occasion rue his decision not to join MU and reflect that footballers are more like cattle that are bought and sold and it's the players responsibility to hold out for the best deal. 

13 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

A) You have no idea what any player is on

B) Prem teams could offer much more than £20k

If you took time to read my response it was in answer to the poster quoted

Edited by Bluey9

2 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

Same old golf conundrum - " you can only join the club if you have a golf handicap but wait a minute you need to play and submit cards to get a handicap" 

Give the lad his chance or do not complain if he successfully plies his trade elsewhere. 

Everyone on here is so sure he is not ready but I would hazard a guess very few have ever seen him play. Everton and Liverpool to name just two promote their young and proactively go shopping for younger players. How many of the proven championship strikers to which refer were regulars at international level in their early years ? Besides we are not currently slamming them in right now are we ?

Can you really see a manager who people are wanting sacked after 5 games risking throwing a totally untried player in.

If we let him go for say a sum of £5m then i would still feel slightly robbed. A youg lad who has the history and Wednesday close to his heart. We have nurtured the brightest talent we have had since forever and to let him go without seeing what he can do would be really disappointing. I think it is safe to say he will never be worth a measley amount like £5m in his whole career after leaving us. 

Sign up George and show us what you can do. There won't be better fans anywhere cheering him on thats for sure. 

Edited by Brad_owl

41 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Its not quite hard. We could offer the same terms we just wont.

I'm not sure making a youngster who's unproven at first team level one of our higher earners makes sense financially.

Edited by TrickyTrev

2 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

I don't know if Hooper, Fletcher and Rhodes were proven U17 international but I do know that previous England U17 squads are littered with players who've barely managed to eek out a professional career of any description because they weren't good enough to play professional football. The solution to your golf conundrum is going out on loan.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

I'm not sure making a youngster who's unproven at first team level one of our higher earners makes sense financially.

Or in terms of team morale.

Give a kid who is nowhere near the first team £20k and the agents of every player on the books will be stirring the pot.

5 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

If we let him go for say a sum of £5m then i would still feel slightly robbed. A youg lad who has the history and Wednesday close to his heart. We have nurtured the brightest talent we have had since forever and to let him go without seeing what he can do would be really disappointing. I think it is safe to say he will never be worth a measley amount like £5m in his whole career after leaving us. 

Sign up George and show us what you can do. There won't be better fans anywhere cheering him on thats for sure. 

If he leaves purely for a bigger contract then Wednesday can't be that close to his heart, and I don't think it's safe to say that he'll never go for less than £5m again either. He's never scored a professional goal. We have absolutely no idea if he'll be good enough to play professional football.

Always been an issue with players going on England duty. They talk about money. 

If I were Hirst, and the lads around me on England duty were on 5 x more money, I would want parity. 

My guess will be that this will drag on until the summer, and he will walk away. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Always been an issue with players going on England duty. They talk about money. 

If I were Hirst, and the lads around me on England duty were on 5 x more money, I would want parity. 

My guess will be that this will drag on until the summer, and he will walk away. 

I suppose it depends what clubs/league the other players play for/in.

Don't worry, haven't any of you played Football Manager? Someone will buy him off us for peanuts, but then suddenly and for no obvious reason in two years' time they'll get a random bill for £6,900,000, a 75% sell-on clause and a preseason friendly

lol

Edited by Mr. Tom

Just now, toppOwl said:

I suppose it depends what clubs/league the other players play for/in.

Irrelevant. That's his peer group. He's in the top 20 players in the country for his age. 

Players get tapped up. Everton et al will have had a word and noted that £x per wk is on the table. Up to us to match it. And don't lose sight of the fact that in terms of development we hardly have a glittering track record. Our under 23's won the league last year. Hardly anyone has made the first team bench, and lads have been packed off to Port Vale etc. 

Everton can tell Hirst that the likes of Stones, Calvert Lewin, Holgate, Pennington and Davies are all/have been Premier League regulars when not a great deal older. 

If you could earn far more money, with a clear and proven route to Premier League football, would you take it? I would, and this is far more palatable than having my path to Championship football blocked by a utterly flawed transfer policy. 

The ball is in Wednesday's court.