George Hirst Off!!

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

There's a surprise Sally talking garbage. You should have been with me last seasons LC at Cambridge, George still has a little way to go.

Certain posters on here just love an opportunity to stick the boot in. They don't let little things like facts get in the way.

I don't know the OP. No idea if he's connected to the club and/or ITK. Most posters seem to take his post as gospel.

Is this genuine information or someone guessing/making stuff up.

I'd be sorry to lose George, be nice if he could develop here but if he wants to move on all we can do is make our best offer and see what happens. At least we seem to be trying to progress some of the development squad by letting them go out on loan.

40 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

ESFA and U21s?

For some posters here that means surely he's ready for the match day 18 of a Championship side chasing promotion then...  :columbo:

Find him a roster spot in League 2 or the Airtricity League to play on loan and develop.

Has he or has he not scored goals at every level he has played so far. I'm not saying he should be in our first team yet and  I agree that a loan move for him would be great for him and us. The last thing we want though is for him to not sign a new contract and go elsewhere. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Guest kelliesleftnut
30 minutes ago, Tommo_ said:

There'd be no where near this interest in him from supporters if his name was Keith Smith

What about if young Smithy was scoring goals for the England youth ?

Yes i would be interested.

We've got a player in our squad who has scored over 160 championship goals who can't secure a regular first team spot. Yet some on here seem to think young Hirst who has never started a competitive league game in his career is ready to slot straight in. You couldn't make it up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That was a year ago now?

He's kicked on quite a bit since then. Any other club in the league, except a few who also have spent big, Hirst would be pushing for a place on the bench.

I'm not saying he's the finish article but he is probably the best prospect we've produced attacking wise in way over a decade. Him, his Dad and his agent have probably seen our ridiculous signings of Rhodes and Winnalll and realised that he's never going to get a shot here.

He'll be looking at other players from the local area like Calvert Lewin and Mason Holgate leave their clubs early in their development, joined a Premier League club and now reaping the rewards. 

Can't help but think we have managed his development all wrong.

His development has been fine - it's the pi551ng money up the wall on other players that don't play and have no future at the club rather than offering him a decent contract that appears to be the problem.

Again, this is similar to the Forestieri situation - we don't know the full in's and out's on what's been going on between the Club, Hirst jr and senior and agent.  I say this as it appears there has been a fall out between Club and Hirst senior.

One thing for sure is that we have got a brilliant prospect who happens to be the Son of a legend and it looks like he's off! Surely, we should have got him signed up on a decent contract and got him out on loan this season?

Whilst, I acknowledge he is not ready for the first team, we have an opportunity of developing a top prospect and having a player who is one of our own who could be worth a lot of money in the future.  I would be seriously disappointed if we lose him in this window, even more so after our kamikaze recruitment strategy over the last 14 months or so.  We don't have a good record with bringing through our own players - suddenly we have one and we contrive to make a balls of it!

26 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

We've got a player in our squad who has scored over 160 championship goals who can't secure a regular first team spot. Yet some on here seem to think young Hirst who has never started a competitive league game in his career is ready to slot straight in. You couldn't make it up.

He's not ready to slot straight in. But from his perspective he must be looking and thinking what chance have I got here? And Rhodes is a different debate all together, the fact is he should be scoring goals but isn't due to a rubbish system and style of play.

And I think his ability is being under-estimated by many on here. He has scored goals at every level he's played at so far, U'18s, U'23s and for England- at quite a prolific rate too. Now look at some of the players who are in the same England set up as him and have arguably not performed as well as him on an international stage.

Players like Ben Brereton, Reiss Nelson, Josh Tymon, Jonathan Leko, Tristian Nydam all been given shots at their parent club and been around matchday squads. At Wednesday he's never going to have that chance unfortunately. And I think that is a shame because if you're good enough you're good enough regardless of age and the lad scores for fun. His potential is massive and it looks like we won't see it.

If this is all true, 

This is modern day football & footballers at their finest, gone the days of the apprenticeship, basic wage & earning your crust at the club by cleaning first teamers boots 

Now it's all about money first and football second, their agents are the instigator and are only interested in the £££ which they value much higher than the players actual development and progression

salary cap for under 20's would benefit the game, and stop the prem teams chucking silly wages at these younger players. 

Money & greedy agents are slowly killing the game  

What can the club realistically do? 

If there are Premier League offers on the table then we have little to no chance of keeping him. 

As we've seen with our neighbors in recent times, if you have a half decent prospect they'll likely be picked up before barely making a first team appearance. 

It's incredibly frustrating, but then everything is so skewed in favor of Premier League clubs, allowing them to stock pile the best talent (even if they have little intention of having them actually break through). 

He has been linked with Leicester a lot, hasn't he? Well, I remember them signing that young kid from Birmingham a few years back (who was a regular of sorts for them), Demari Gray. Think he barely ever starts for them and has recently been linked with a move to Bournemouth.