Jordan Rhodes to Sunderland or Wolves

2 hours ago, jack whitham said:

So we sell Rhodes and keep bobbar like Nuihu.. Joao needs moving on and why dont we pay Mcgugan off.

You can't sell rubbish these days you have to pay to get it taken away. So you just sell the Ming vase and chuck the junk back in the garage.

23 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It seems to me that the most stupid part of this proposed deal would not be selling Rhodes for a considerable loss, but buying him in the first place. Striker was a position we were already loaded in and it seems we simply could not afford that amount given the other much more urgent needs in the squad. Centre back has still not been sorted out five disappointing league games into the season, both full backs need upgrading and we could arguably do with another option in central midfield. 

Thats more or less truth in a nutshell isn't it?

All spaffing about Rhodes for 3 years..Hey Presto..not a lot...It might seem like lumps in yer mashed potatoes...but its not far offa the truth...is it?

I think it says a lot about where we are that we can contemplate losing Rhodes and it not be the end of the world. 

Wind the clock back 2-3 years and even having Rhodes at the club was a pipe dream. 

That doesn't however change the fact that this is an incredibly disappointing situation for everybody concerned. It just felt right for Rhodes to come in and be a big success here. He's a really likeable lad and a fantastic professional. And his scoring pedigree at this level is unrivalled. I don't think I'd be gutted if Rhodes left, but I'm absolutely gutted it hasn't worked for him here. For my money the way his SWFC career has played out - or more to the point the way it hasn't - is one of our most regrettable mistakes in recent years. 

Fletcher, Hooper, Winnall still gives us a terrific front line.. but potentially letting Rhodes go stings, there's no two ways about it. For me the only way to mitigate the disappointment of this is for the money to be re-invested in 2 or 3 QUALITY first team players in other positions, and for there to be a clear resolution to the Hirst situation. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

8 hours ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Rate deal this.

The equivalent of buying a brand new car and then selling it privately the second you get it off of the forecourt.

This.

What on earth has happened? It is weird.

But almost the same thing happened to him at Boro in that he was signed for a manager that did not want him.

Has the club not got past his refusal to take a penalty?

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think it says a lot about where we are that we can contemplate losing Rhodes and it not be the end of the world. 

Wind the clock back 2-3 years and even having Rhodes at the club was a pipe dream. 

That doesn't however change the fact that this is an incredibly disappointing situation for everybody concerned. It just felt right for Rhodes to come in and be a big success here. He's a really likeable lad and a fantastic professional. And his scoring pedigree at this level is unrivalled. I don't think I'd be gutted if Rhodes left, but I'm absolutely gutted it hasn't worked for him here. For my money the way his SWFC career has played out - or more to the point the way it hasn't - is one of our most regrettable mistakes in recent years. 

Fletcher, Hooper, Winnall still gives us a terrific front line.. but potentially letting Rhodes go stings, there's no two ways about it. For me the only way to mitigate the disappointment of this is for the money to be re-invested in 2 or 3 QUALITY first team players in other positions, and for there to be a clear resolution to the Hirst situation. 

It could turn on it's head very quickly with a different manager/style of play, but I fear there's very little point in him being here under CC.

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

It could turn on it's head very quickly with a different manager/style of play, but I fear there's very little point in him being here under CC.

Agreed. If FF and JR both leave we may be able to bring in some proper upgrades in two or three areas which have never been addressed since Wembley. There may be some pleasant surprises looming.

It might be for the good for everyone's sake, and I say that with a heavy heart. It just hasn't worked for a host of reasons.

I'm not sure CC will ever get over looking JR in the eyes after extra time and seeing fear and apprehension about doing something that should be natural and him wanting to grab the ball. For whatever reason JR had for this, it's not the killer instinct and responsibility you want from your striker and I can't think of many top strikers who would have done the same.

7 minutes ago, Animis said:

It might be for the good for everyone's sake, and I say that with a heavy heart. It just hasn't worked for a host of reasons.

I'm not sure CC will ever get over looking JR in the eyes after extra time and seeing fear and apprehension about doing something that should be natural and him wanting to grab the ball. For whatever reason JR had for this, it's not the killer instinct and responsibility you want from your striker and I can't think of many top strikers who would have done the same.

which penalty taker would Jordan have replaced. jack or Barry maybe?

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

A record signing striker not wanting a clear chance to score a goal?

Something not right in his head.

2 minutes ago, Lombado said:

which penalty taker would Jordan have replaced. jack or Barry maybe?

Our record signing striker really didn't need to replace anyone when the first five were agreed. However, perhaps limping Hutch with cramp might have been a start.

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

It seems to me that the most stupid part of this proposed deal would not be selling Rhodes for a considerable loss, but buying him in the first place. Striker was a position we were already loaded in and it seems we simply could not afford that amount given the other much more urgent needs in the squad. Centre back has still not been sorted out five disappointing league games into the season, both full backs need upgrading and we could arguably do with another option in central midfield. 

When we were buying Winnall and Rhodes we had Hooper injured. That left us Fletch, Nuhiu, Joao, and the non-striker FF.

We had to buy, and we bought what 99% of us thought was the best.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

When we were buying Winnall and Rhodes we had Hooper injured. That left us Fletch, Nuhiu, Joao, and the non-striker FF.

I think that's a fair point - we also loaned out Joao.

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

That non striker who'd just scored 5 and assisted 2 in 8 games as a striker? And then scored 2 in his next 3, as a striker? 

Did you miss that portion of the season or do you just choose to ignore it? 

40 minutes ago, heppers said:

This.

What on earth has happened? It is weird.

But almost the same thing happened to him at Boro in that he was signed for a manager that did not want him.

Has the club not got past his refusal to take a penalty?

No but the club has now seen him play 20+ times and, with perhaps one exception, have yet to see him produce a good performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

That non striker who'd just scored 5 and assisted 2 in 8 games as a striker? And then scored 2 in his next 3, as a striker? 

Did you miss that portion of the season or do you just choose to ignore it? 

I look at the 90 odd games he has played to form my view.

Read the Forestieri stat thread to see how dire we are over a season with him up top.