So Now We Might Be Able To Sort The Midfield Out

......if money from a sale transpires (or we never had an issue with FFP in the first place, and declaring money problems was intended as a smokescreen to help with transfer negotiations, in light of extortionate demands). Delete as appropriate depending on how you see things.

Striker options - good (even with a possible departure / departures). I think it unlikely that Rhodes will leave btw.

Defence - options ok with the addition of Van Aken and Venancio

Midfield - erm, still needs tweaking. Polite way of saying our midfield options are not inspiring.

Lee - key player for me when fit but his injury record is concerning. Fingers crossed he gets a good run in the side and avoids further injury misery

Bannan - thank God we've got him. Team player who will give his all wherever he's asked to play. And generally stays fit which helps.

Hutch - solid but also a concern from an injury perspective

Jones - Darren Potters' twin and not the best tackler.

Abdi - a year of not having seen enough to form an opinion (not a great scenario).

Wallace - great when on top form. Like him. Consistency though?

Reach - Flatters to deceive. Can't make my mind up

Boyd - not seen enough yet. But not impressing so far

Forestieri on the left. Best thing since sliced bread but living in La la land and can't always see that a pass to a team mate is the best option / could be leaving anyhow

Matias - can just about remember he looks good sometimes

Try sorting a midfield out of that lot that is both solid and creative (between injuries and suspensions). Nightmare!

So in summary, no.1 priority now. Need to move on one or two, and get the jigsaw pieces right so we can consistently play 4 midfielders who, as a unit, can both create loads of chances for the strikers, and also get back to defend. Not seen much of that as a package recently. 

Sort this out and we'll go up. Midfield is a bloody mess.

Who's to say that the money would be well spent?

Who's to say that Carlos would sign a winger with pace or a defensive midfielder with to provide some power in the middle, he hasn't signed these type of players yet.

Wouldn't get rid of Rhodes or Foriesteri we just need to give them a run of games and play to their strengths!

• Thanks 1

Lee - Gives us that completley different dimension and when fit will help turn the close draws to wins. No doubt 

Bannan - Showing first season form once more. Dictates our rythmn now playing 15 yards higher. 

Hutch - I know there's divisions about his best role. But I'd never rule him out of some games in midfield. Sometimes you need a player to ,ix it up a bit.

Jones - A steady ticker. Still think we'd see the best of hum at the base of a 3. But that's another debate. 

Abdi - You don't pay what we've played if there's nothing there. We just haven't seen it yet.  Will we ever see it? At least he's got a couple of games under his belt now. Let's just hope he can use that as a platform 

Wallace - Out and put winger for me. Flits in and out too much, but I put that down to him being asked to play a nip and tuck role which doesn't get him in the right areas enough to do his damage. Still....he doesn't moan about it.....

Reach - Showing glimpses of why we signed him. Work to be done but do think he'll prove long term a good addition

Boyd - Pulled no trees up. But believe him addition good signing when he gets accustomed 

Forestieri - Left of a front 3 best in the division. We're not going to play a front three though because we have 4 centre forwards who work best in a two man forward line.....

Matias - Clear as day in his first few games that he was signed to play at the left of a 4-2-3-1 . (With Wallace on the other side)

We don't play thst way anymore. He's been injured a lot. And he hasn't the defensive mind to play wide in a four. Making him, however harshly it might seem ... redundant 

McGugan:ph34r:

My summary. ..

We don't play a system that gets the best out of any of these players.

I think they are all good enough to give us one of the best midfield in the division. ... but they are all are 75% lining up in the combinations they do.

That system won't change while we have our current striking option.

Results

Keep this system half of them have to go to be replaced by better suited.

Change the system they can all stay but SF, SW, JR, GH need replacing up top for mobile, pacy types.

We've a fantastic  squad individually but a b'stardised mongrel of a squad as a unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Lee - Gives us that completley different dimension and when fit will help turn the close draws to wins. No doubt 

Bannan - Showing first season form once more. Dictates our rythmn now playing 15 yards higher. 

Hutch - I know there's divisions about his best role. But I'd never rule him out of some games in midfield. Sometimes you need a player to ,ix it up a bit.

Jones - A steady ticker. Still think we'd see the best of hum at the base of a 3. But that's another debate. 

Abdi - You don't pay what we've played if there's nothing there. We just haven't seen it yet.  Will we ever see it? At least he's got a couple of games under his belt now. Let's just hope he can use that as a platform 

Wallace - Out and put winger for me. Flits in and out too much, but I put that down to him being asked to play a nip and tuck role which doesn't get him in the right areas enough to do his damage. Still....he doesn't moan about it.....

Reach - Showing glimpses of why we signed him. Work to be done but do think he'll prove long term a good addition

Boyd - Pulled no trees up. But believe him addition good signing when he gets accustomed 

Forestieri - Left of a front 3 best in the division. We're not going to play a front three though because we have 4 centre forwards who work best in a two man forward line.....

Matias - Clear as day in his first few games that he was signed to play at the left of a 4-2-3-1 . (With Wallace on the other side)

We don't play thst way anymore. He's been injured a lot. And he hasn't the defensive mind to play wide in a four. Making him, however harshly it might seem ... redundant 

My summary. ..

I think they are all good enough to give us one of the best midfield in the division. ... but they are all are 75% lining up in the combinations they do.

Results

Change the system they can all stay but SF, SW, JR, GH need replacing up top for mobile, pacy types.

We've a fantastic  squad individually but a b'stardised mongrel of a squad as a unit.

Couldn't put it better myself.

4-4-2 doesn't help us!

I believe we have the players for top 2 but Carlos not getting best out of them!

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

My summary. ..

Results

So basically we need to get rid of all our strikers ? 

Whoever we sign I would hope that we bring in the type of quality that will push the first 11 week in week out for a starting place.

The criticisms I would have of our recruitment is that we haven't done that previously or at least on the face of it we haven't.

If FF does go, it may end up towards a perfect storm where because of the tactics employed we won't improve.

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

My summary. ..

Results

Nail on the head. 

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

My summary. ..

Results

CC just can't get it to work - which makes it look worse than it is.

There is enough talent in it and decent manager with some vision and flexibility will fashion something out of it.

We are not that far off being decent but we won't get there under the present coaching regime.

That is what is so annoying.

Huge mistake not bringing in Liam Bridcutt, he's perfect for a 4-4-2/diamond.

This is my main issue with CC, he's got a set way of playing but doesn't sign the players that we need to play it effectively.

Last 2 wide midfield players signed are Reach and Boyd, which offer nothing different to Wallace, Matias etc.

There are some games in this division where we can play with 2 direct wingers/attacking midfield players either side of a big striker, with 3 central midfield players. Which funnily enough would suit all our CM players.

Bizarre signings in reality.

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

My summary. ..

Results

Hallelujah!

The results section is bang on!   Last year, I thought we would go 4-3-3 and bring in a Centre half, defensive midfielder a right wide attacker with pace and a mobile pacy striker.  Lee and Bannan in the midfield 3 creating for our mobile fluid front 3.  Defensive midfielder behind Lee and Bannan giving them the platform to play.  This is exactly what should have happened!

I was pretty gobsmacked to find Carlos going to a rigid 4-4-2 which doesn't get the best out of Lee, Bannan and especially FF.  If he was so hell bent going with this formation, I would have brought in a couple of hard nuts in the centre midfield, i.e. in the mould of Kayal, got rid of Bannan and FF and brought in some pacy wingers and play the system how it should be played.  I think Carlos' head got turned by how other teams got promoted and what systems they played. Wrong move, absolutely wrong!

Carlos wants to play a pragmatic system and keep his favourites in - it doesn't suit and as a consequence its not working and we are completely imbalanced.

39 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Why does everybody keep failing to raise our desperate need for a quality right back?

Right back?!

At least we have Hunt there.

Left back is in dire straights: Pudil does not have the legs for the position any more, and Fox isn't at this level just yet.

But I agree in principle - left and right back need addressing will before midfield.