Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Unfortunately the last 17 years has created a fan base that accepts second best 

 

Exactly.

ive said it many times on here..... if you accept mediocrity then you should expect mediocrity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

 

Exactly.

ive said it many times on here..... if you accept mediocrity then you should expect mediocrity 

And you'd deserve it too

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe having a chairman, who by his own admission knows little about football, is part of the problem. I suspect he has simply reacted to the results up to now, and accepted the lottery of play offs. 

 

If the form continues, I assume he'll act, irrespective of how close they appear to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Touched on it earlier on another thread but wonder how many on here screaming for CCs head also advocated Rowett Or Bruce.

 

Just as a matter of interest, i see plenty of hysterical demands for CC to go but no logical suggestions for a replacement.

 

Maybe all the 'names' that were doing the rounds have now amazingly proved to be bigger no marks than they imagine CC to be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Animis said:

Maybe having a chairman, who by his own admission knows little about football, is part of the problem. I suspect he has simply reacted to the results up to now, and accepted the lottery of play offs. 

 

If the form continues, I assume he'll act, irrespective of how close they appear to be.

 

Christ.

 

Last thing you need is a Chairman who THINKS he knows something about football and starts thinking he knows better than the manager and starts tinkering with team selection.

 

It's bad enough on here with people who think they know something about football

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 10 league and play-off games have seen us produce just 22 attempts on target.

 

The bigger the game, the more scared we play. Yet we're supposed to have one of the best squads in the division. As someone summarised earlier, we either start poorly, go behind and then raise our game to usually rescue a point or we somehow stumble into the lead and then try to hang onto it, usually inviting opponents to come and attack us without us offering much in response. So probably 35-40 of our league games are destined to be close, with few goals, where one mistake or moment of magic makes the difference. But this is negating the attacking strengths we apparently have and making it more a game of chance. 

 

 

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

 

More stats to paper over the cracks. 

 

Brilliant. 

 

How about points per £ spent in the transfer market Carlos vs. Alan Irvine. 

 

Have a go at that one. 

 

10 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

 

It's amazing how quick people are on here to produce stats that support having such a sh*t start to the season.

 

God forbid we have any ambition for starting a season well for a change.

 

God forbid we want to pick up more points against a very average set of teams than last year (when we didn't get promoted and ultimately failed our objectives as a result).

 

God forbid we aim for as many points as possible to try and challenge for the auto's.

 

The only people making judgments on whats the stats are saying are you, I've not offered up any commentary on them. They are simply factual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Last 10 league and play-off games have seen us produce just 22 attempts on target.

 

 

 

 

wow is that true?

 

Unbelievable with the supposed talent in our squad

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

 

Christ.

 

Last thing you need is a Chairman who THINKS he knows something about football and starts thinking he knows better than the manager and starts tinkering with team selection.

 

It's bad enough on here with people who think they know something about football

 

 

 

Well i suppose it's a balance - there are many chairman who love football and got involve because of their passion for the club and money. DC like many business men, presumably got involved for the potentially riches and getting involved in a sport, in a country that has global media coverage. Let's face it, we just got lucky, and DC could have chosen many clubs to invest in.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Touched on it earlier on another thread but wonder how many on here screaming for CCs head also advocated Rowett Or Bruce.

 

Just as a matter of interest, i see plenty of hysterical demands for CC to go but no logical suggestions for a replacement.

 

Maybe all the 'names' that were doing the rounds have now amazingly proved to be bigger no marks than they imagine CC to be. 

Think it's more an issue of timing

I think the more sensible of those that wanted Carlos out thought the end of last season would be the best time to do it. At the end of the season, you can look to bring in plenty of managers. I know he's a name that causes divisions on here, but I'll just use it as an example: Ian Holloway. If we'd approached him in May, sure we'd have to pay compensation to QPR, but I'd imagine he'd snap your hand off at the chance to manage here with our attacking force. Now it's the first international break... no chance really. It's the same with any in-work manager at the moment, and even some out-of-work managers... there will be next to no interest in taking over a club with about 5 days to make transfer moves, assess the squad etc. 

 

As it is, we're facing an uphill battle to even just keep at the same level we were last season... and it's only August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not for or against, but who people want to have as a replacement? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Think it's more an issue of timing

I think the more sensible of those that wanted Carlos out thought the end of last season would be the best time to do it. At the end of the season, you can look to bring in plenty of managers. I know he's a name that causes divisions on here, but I'll just use it as an example: Ian Holloway. If we'd approached him in May, sure we'd have to pay compensation to QPR, but I'd imagine he'd snap your hand off at the chance to manage here with our attacking force. Now it's the first international break... no chance really. It's the same with any in-work manager at the moment, and even some out-of-work managers... there will be next to no interest in taking over a club with about 5 days to make transfer moves, assess the squad etc. 

 

As it is, we're facing an uphill battle to even just keep at the same level we were last season... and it's only August. 

 

I think DC made a mistake not parting with CC in May. We could have ended it amicably and started afresh. I've said previously that the club seems to have taken two months off and closed down during the Summer, and I do think part of this is down to a chairman/owner who's not in the country permanently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

 

 

The only people making judgments on whats the stats are saying are you, I've not offered up any commentary on them. They are simply factual.

 

That's totally fair enough. 

 

With that said then - I'd be curious on your thoughts on those statistics, having presented them in the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most frustrating thing is when we try and attack and pressure teams and actually move and make space we look good but it only happens briefly in each game. Far too much of the time we sit back and play slow pedestrian football and we are 2nd to everything.

 

He has to change the way we are playing because it must be his tactics to sit back, particularly in the 1st half, or he will be gone because we can't try and win every game 1-0 it just won't work.

 

I thought we would improve this season because he would realise we needed to be somewhere in between his 1st and 2nd season but we are not doing enough and I can't see how it will change now. 

 

I desperately want him to do well and I am not calling for his head but he needs to react and get this team firing....starting by actually shooting at goal on a regular basis. It's fine playing cautiously against the big teams but it's the same in virtually every game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

The clappers have to accept a huge portion of responsibility for encouraging Carlos to continue with his anti football approach.

 

I actually blame them above Carlos.

 

Why do you have to try and stir up an argument in every thread.

 

It's boring.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Think it's more an issue of timing

I think the more sensible of those that wanted Carlos out thought the end of last season would be the best time to do it. At the end of the season, you can look to bring in plenty of managers. I know he's a name that causes divisions on here, but I'll just use it as an example: Ian Holloway. If we'd approached him in May, sure we'd have to pay compensation to QPR, but I'd imagine he'd snap your hand off at the chance to manage here with our attacking force. Now it's the first international break... no chance really. It's the same with any in-work manager at the moment, and even some out-of-work managers... there will be next to no interest in taking over a club with about 5 days to make transfer moves, assess the squad etc. 

 

As it is, we're facing an uphill battle to even just keep at the same level we were last season... and it's only August. 

 

Yeah fine, but the cognoscenti on here were calling for Rowett or Bruce in the close season, so the timing is almost irrelevant. 

 

All it would have done would have allowed either of them more time to make an even bigger f**k up.

 

Maybe Rowett could have taught Westwood how to make a gentle clearance to Billy Sharp to enable him to calmly slot home.

 

As for Holloway, his record is massively flawed.

 

We automatically assume that whoever would take over would, without question do a better job than CC and the worst case scenario would be to stay the same.

 

History tells a different story, that with the odd exception, it can and often does goes disastrously wrong.

 

When it's time for him to go, he'll go but don't just presume everything will be better or even as good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Perfect time to change. We look exactly like last year and that is no improvement.

 

Clearly has taken us as far as he can.

Sadly, I think this is true. It would be great to have a charismatic successful manager, but it's not going to happen under Carlos I don't think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Goose said:

I'm not for or against, but who people want to have as a replacement? 

 

 

It's difficult to think of experienced managers who are available and realistic options.  I would say Pardew or Pearson are the better ones, but apparently Pearson doesn't want a short commute to work 

 

I'd be quite happy for a manager to come in who is looking for his first real job in England. Like Vieira, Henry, Giggs or G Neville. But I know that opinion is not shared by most! 

 

I just hope we do see a replacement soon 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

 

That's totally fair enough. 

 

With that said then - I'd be curious on your thoughts on those statistics, having presented them in the thread. 

 

They say we've got as many points this season as we got in the corresponding fixtures last season, done better in some games and worse in others. On reflection I'd say as disappointing as our start to the season has been there is no need at this stage to be pulling the panic cord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...