August 26th 1972 Owls v Hull

The bad old days ;-) Wednesday topped Divsion 2 after beating Hull City 4-2 at Hillsborough.  Goals    BrianJoicey 2, Tommy Craig and Dave Craig  & Sunley.

Wonderful TV footage  - Wednesday in Black shorts? ;-)

Edited by Mickjj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ah memories. Nice one Dunners. Was stood on the kop that day. Apparently Pearson was sent off for calling the Lino an onion (or some other fruit or veg) ; strange but true according to the People the next day. 

In later life I worked for many years with two goal hero Brian Joicey. Great bloke.

Amazing. Wonder who the last keeper was to routinely not wear gloves, and what year? (Or was it made a legal requirement to wear gloves?)

Speaking of rules, is there one against using the goal frame as a set of monkey bars? (Hull's 2nd goal) lol

Love how the commentator said the defender was 'understandably' aggrieved for our 4th. Absolute horror tackle but seemingly perfectly acceptable by '70s standards :duntmatter:

So funny to see a player being sent off in the pre-cards era too. My god how things have changed.

I was at that game as well. I'd forgotten just how short Swanny's shorts were!

It was really unusual to see a player sent off back then; in fact, I'm not sure whether that might have been the first one I ever saw. Some of the tackles you saw back then would be straight reds today but were all part and parcel of the game back then and players would just get up and get on with it.

Those early home games from that season brought some brilliant entertainment. We went into every game totally attack minded and scored 18 in the first six games....all won. Vividly remember Dave Sunley clinging to the Kop net after his last minute winner against Pompey and then the night home game against Huddersfield where we were twice behind. That run of Wee Willie to get the second equaliser and burying his shot into the Kop net....such a shame no cameras there to record it.

• Like 1

Brilliant Dunsby, loving the memories. Any chance you can send a copy to DC? Commentator says at the beginning "And Sheffield Wednesday are in stripes" exactly. Stuart Pearson got sent off, forgot all about him, was that pre or post his Man Utd days? Joicey, Prendergast, Sunley,Craig, Clement and did I hear Swans name mentioned?

Happy days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dagmeister said:

Ah memories. Nice one Dunners. Was stood on the kop that day. Apparently Pearson was sent off for calling the Lino an onion (or some other fruit or veg) ; strange but true according to the People the next day. 

In later life I worked for many years with two goal hero Brian Joicey. Great bloke.

@ honda woodseats?

he was my first hero (as a kid) and then (as an adult) became a personal friend  as we both lived in dronfield and shared the same 'local' 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

@ honda woodseats?

he was my first hero (as a kid) and then (as an adult) became a personal friend  as we both lived in dronfield and shared the same 'local' 

GT Cars/Evans Halshaw (pre his Honda days). Yes I used to watch him as a youngster..... He was only about 8 years older than me but he'd threaten to clip me when I referred to him as my schoolboy hero. Top bloke though.

3 hours ago, Bronco Blue said:

I remember it well. Good win and had a frozen chicken stolen from my car near Herries Road during the game. 

Moral of this story: go shopping after the game.

Haha!

Folk have been breaking into cars on Herries Road for decades!!!

3 hours ago, Bronco Blue said:

I remember it well. Good win and had a frozen chicken stolen from my car near Herries Road during the game. 

Moral of this story: go shopping after the game.

What a fowl deed, I hope that they ended up with salmonella poisoning.

lol

• Like 1

A few years before I started going but brings back memories of the Hillsborough and Wednesday I first discovered. And how fantastic does it look! Great kit, the Kop, the terracing full at both ends, a few cops on chairs rather than hundreds of hi-vis stewards, a few adverts here and there but otherwise totally clutter free.

Given the choice who wouldn't choose going to this match over the next super Saturday teatime kick-off extravaganza at Hillsborough?

• Like 1

That whole game seemed full of pace - end to end stuff and players going for it .Why do they say todays players are fitter ?These players weren't slowing the game down and passing sideways and backwards - Swanny would never have raised a sweat in todays game .

19 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

The bad old days ;-) Wednesday topped Divsion 2 after beating Hull City 4-2 at Hillsborough.  Goals    BrianJoicey 2, Tommy Craig and Dave Craig  & Sunley.

Wonderful TV footage  - Wednesday in Black shorts? ;-)

Brilliant this.. "jumping up and down on his line like a scalded hen.. " Love hearing the old names flashing across the airwaves.. I'd have watched this just after Sunday dinner as a mardy 5-year old with the great WMJ himself.. Great memories and cheers for sharing.. 

18 minutes ago, WMJ4ever said:

Brilliant this.. "jumping up and down on his line like a scalded hen.. " Love hearing the old names flashing across the airwaves.. I'd have watched this just after Sunday dinner as a mardy 5-year old with the great WMJ himself.. Great memories and cheers for sharing.. 

Bet it was roast chicken!

Thanks for posting Dunsby, a real nostalgia trip!