OFFICIAL MATCHDAY THREAD - BURTON 1 : 1 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Those on the fringes seemingly are being given no motivation, apart from pride, to do well when they are given a chance because they know they'll be benched again come what may.

Strikers usually go on scoring runs and scoring ruts.   So what do we do when we have someone, a self confessed Wednesday fan himself scores two goals  in a game that was lost and beyond reach before he did so, and after a frustrating start to the season?

Edited by HubristicClapper

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Probably due to the fact that Hooper and Fletcher worked really well in our league victory away to Fulham last weekend.

Why break up our most effective pairing?

I agree it's our effective pairing but surely you take midweek into account? It's what game management is all about.

Rhodes will have had confidence and Carlos has rewarded it with a place on the bench.

2 minutes ago, LiamK2292 said:

I agree it's our effective pairing but surely you take midweek into account? It's what game management is all about.

Rhodes will have had confidence and Carlos has rewarded it with a place on the bench.

We lost in midweek !

Can see the idea of going for the same XI. It's the old adage, if it aint broken, don't fix it. 

First and foremost, we have to compete today, which this line up certainly allows us to.

But you do look at it, and think, it's all a bit "meh".

Then again, without drastically changing shape, and strategy, it's going to be like that throughout the season.

Still, looking at Burton's line up, we should have more than enough to win the game today. They'll miss Irvine, and seem to have gone with a fairly adventurous 4-2-3-1 line up. Might play into our hands. 

1 minute ago, LiamK2292 said:

It's great that Rhodes scored in the cup, but I'd go with our strongest pairing in a league game, and at present that's Hooper and Fletcher.  Both played very well against Fulham, too - they don't deserve to be dropped, either.

Hopefully if Rhodes is used from the bench, he'll be full of confidence and able to make a telling contribution.

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Can see the idea of going for the same XI. It's the old adage, if it aint broken, don't fix it. 

First and foremost, we have to compete today, which this line up certainly allows us to.

But you do look at it, and think, it's all a bit "meh".

Then again, without drastically changing shape, and strategy, it's going to be like that throughout the season.

Still, looking at Burton's line up, we should have more than enough to win the game today. They'll miss Irvine, and seem to have gone with a fairly adventurous 4-2-3-1 line up. Might play into our hands. 

I don't see meh.

Love that line-up