Thank you Owlstalk

So, it’s my Owlstalk anniversary. I’ve been on this site for a whole year (and two days). Just thought I’d share with you my findings with regards to the best Sheffield Wednesday forum.

When I first started on Owlstalk, I just followed for quite a while before plucking up the courage to post something. Eventually I plucked up the courage to start a thread. Before I started on Owlstalk, I knew very little about tactics or positions in football but I have learned a whole lot through reading other people’s posts.

I know there are some posters who are ... let’s put it... a little challenged in their philosophy but there are also some people with wonderful insight, good intelligence and very clever humour.

I enjoy reading Lord Snooty’s posts – they tell me everything I don’t know about football. I worry when I read Saxondale’s posts because he is usually right. Holmowl is the go to guy for stats – where he pulls them all from, I have no idea... oh and he just loves Gary Hooper and doesn’t like Forestieri being called a striker. Matchday thread OPs are hilarious (by Pauli or others). Rocket Owl really doesn’t like Jordan Rhodes does he? There are many others I could mention.

What about our fans? Completely bi-polar. Glowing with praise when we have a good win, calling for everybody to be sacked or sold when we lose. To be fair, I’ve spent a bit of time on other teams’ forums and they are no different. Villa’s is particularly negative and don’t even get me started on Sunderland’s. Their fans are venomous. Barnsley’s and Brighton’s do my head in because they don’t segregate the posts so everything from matchday threads to the latest politician’s gaff appear in the same place. At least ours is organised.

Here’s a few things I have learned about using Owlstalk:

•  Praise the team, players who deserve it, give clever humorous posts or really interesting posts and you will probably receive positive feedback.

•  Abuse players or go against the popular opinion and you will probably receive negative feedback or be labelled as pork.

•  Don’t moan about getting negged – you’ll probably get negged again.

•  Always proof read and check your spelling and grammar – those grammar police are waiting to pick fault.

•  Always be aware that people will try to pick something out of your post that they can poke fun at. They’ll probably find something in this.

•  Be careful what you title your thread – people will say ‘I thought this was a thread about...’

•  Don’t post onto the wrong thread. I’ve done that twice now. Felt like a prize idiot.

•  Don’t directly slag off somebody’s post or you run the risk of getting involved in the Owlstalk version of a boxing match.  

•  Be careful what you post when you are drunk. There has been many a retraction or apology on here. It’s like the Owlstalk version of the morning after pill.

•  Don’t come on here after a loss if you are prone to anxiety or panic attacks.

•  Don’t come on here if you’ve got work to do. It can be very addictive.
  • Don't post 'Someone on here will know'.

• Please don't start a thread with 'off to Leeds' in the title.

• Oh, and don't post something that's too long (like I just have) or something that has no paragraphs.

Summing up, thanks Owlstalk. I’ve enjoyed my past year on here. I love reading the positivity when we win and console myself with the fact that everybody is miserable when we lose. I know there are some ... joyful mysteries on here at times but I think it’s a brilliant outlet for thoughts, feelings and banter. Keep up the good work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

So, it’s my Owlstalk anniversary. I’ve been on this site for a whole year (and two days). Just thought I’d share with you my findings with regards to the best Sheffield Wednesday forum.

When I first started on Owlstalk, I just followed for quite a while before plucking up the courage to post something. Eventually I plucked up the courage to start a thread. Before I started on Owlstalk, I knew very little about tactics or positions in football but I have learned a whole lot through reading other people’s posts.

I know there are some posters who are ... let’s put it... a little challenged in their philosophy but there are also some people with wonderful insight, good intelligence and very clever humour.

I enjoy reading Lord Snooty’s posts – they tell me everything I don’t know about football. I worry when I read Saxondale’s posts because he is usually right. Holmowl is the go to guy for stats – where he pulls them all from, I have no idea... oh and he just loves Gary Hooper and doesn’t like Forestieri being called a striker. Matchday thread OPs are hilarious (by Pauli or others). Rocket Owl really doesn’t like Jordan Rhodes does he? There are many others I could mention.

What about our fans? Completely bi-polar. Glowing with praise when we have a good win, calling for everybody to be sacked or sold when we lose. To be fair, I’ve spent a bit of time on other teams’ forums and they are no different. Villa’s is particularly negative and don’t even get me started on Sunderland’s. Their fans are venomous. Barnsley’s and Brighton’s do my head in because they don’t segregate the posts so everything from matchday threads to the latest politician’s gaff appear in the same place. At least ours is organised.

Here’s a few things I have learned about using Owlstalk:

•  Praise the team, players who deserve it, give clever humorous posts or really interesting posts and you will probably receive positive feedback.

•  Abuse players or go against the popular opinion and you will probably receive negative feedback or be labelled as pork.

•  Don’t moan about getting negged – you’ll probably get negged again.

•  Always proof read and check your spelling and grammar – those grammar police are waiting to pick fault.

•  Always be aware that people will try to pick something out of your post that they can poke fun at. They’ll probably find something in this.

•  Be careful what you title your thread – people will say ‘I thought this was a thread about...’

•  Don’t post onto the wrong thread. I’ve done that twice now. Felt like a prize idiot.

•  Don’t directly slag off somebody’s post or you run the risk of getting involved in the Owlstalk version of a boxing match.  

•  Be careful what you post when you are drunk. There has been many a retraction or apology on here. It’s like the Owlstalk version of the morning after pill.

•  Don’t come on here after a loss if you are prone to anxiety or panic attacks.

•  Don’t come on here if you’ve got work to do. It can be very addictive.
  • Don't post 'Someone on here will know'.

• Please don't start a thread with 'off to Leeds' in the title.

• Oh, and don't post something that's too long (like I just have) or something that has no paragraphs.

Summing up, thanks Owlstalk. I’ve enjoyed my past year on here. I love reading the positivity when we win and console myself with the fact that everybody is miserable when we lose. I know there are some ... joyful mysteries on here at times but I think it’s a brilliant outlet for thoughts, feelings and banter. Keep up the good work.

I've been on here 10 years and you've posted 300 more times than me.

You talk to much pal 

:-)

• Haha 2