Jones will have to get injured before Hutch gets back in...

Hutch is a CB let's not forget. That is is position. Yes he's played CM for us the last few years and he's been great but he's a natural CB.

In the few games he's played CB for us he has proven that he's one of the best in this league in that position. Better than Lee's in my opinion, by quite a distance.

Lees/Hutch CB pairing would be one of the best in the league (if not the best). So when he's fit I'd have him in there straight away.

But like it's been mentioned, he's a utility player because he's so versatile which is why we've barely actually seen him in his natural position!

Don't need another CB really when you consider that we've got Lees Loovens Venancio Hutch  (also Pudil who is more than adequate playing CB the way we play) - obviously this is bearing in mind the injury list is pretty clear.

6 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Was noticeable that Fulham tried to press Jones as soon as he had the ball, hoping to gain possession in our half. They nearly succeeded once or twice but he then switched on and by moving the ball quickly took their pressing midfielders out of the game. Obviously has a bit of nous about him even if not too eye catching.

I noticed the two players who got caught out the most were Hunt and Lees. Fulham tried a high press quite often, Bannon, Jones and Pudil all handled it well, Fox also to be fair, but they caused the greatest problems to us when Lees or Hunt were on the ball.

6 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Was noticeable that Fulham tried to press Jones as soon as he had the ball, hoping to gain possession in our half. They nearly succeeded once or twice but he then switched on and by moving the ball quickly took their pressing midfielders out of the game. Obviously has a bit of nous about him even if not too eye catching.

I've been trying to work out what Jones adds and I this this sums it up. He's not a great footballer like some of the others but he knows what to do in that position (covering space, switching play etc) and that makes him very effective. They pressed very high yesterday and Jones dealt with that really well. 

This is probably not true. 

I seem to remember Jones was dropped at the end of last season despite being involved in the winning run. 

Hutch is a Carlos favourite. He regards him (wrongly in my opinion) as one of the best midfielders in the division. 

1 minute ago, Bodhidharma said:

This is probably not true. 

I seem to remember Jones was dropped at the end of last season despite being involved in the winning run. 

Hutch is a Carlos favourite. He regards him (wrongly in my opinion) as one of the best midfielders in the division. 

I think he regards him as one of our best players ..don't think he's wrong on that score...but as a defender...he is better than lees without a doubt.

Just now, kazads said:

I think he regards him as one of our best players ..don't think he's wrong on that score...but as a defender...he is better than lees without a doubt.

He said midfielder in the interview. 

I would agree about him as a defender, but not as a midfielder. 

How many promotions does Jones have to his name again? 

3? 4? 

He's a far from spectacular performer and his steady eddy approach clearly frustrates parts of our fanbase...but I thought he played quite well when he came in towards the backend of last season and he's started off this season in decentish form. 

Personally, I think his best role is just in front of the back four, where he can mop things up and then redistribute the ball out-wide. With that in mind, I'd consider the diamond formation or a 4-3-3 to be the best set up for him. 

On a final note: great to see and hear that Bannan is returning to the player of his first season. He's so much better when playing an all action type role, as opposed to the Xabi Alonso wannabe routine he was attempting (or being instructed to do) last season. 

Edited by SiJ

I can't see why most defenders can't play at least two positions across the back to a decent standard.  Doesn't surprise me that Pudil has looked comfortable in his new spot, he's a seasoned professional and knows his trade.

Against Sunderland Jones had a poor game by his own high standards I would think.  The number of bad passes he gave away was surprising.  

I didn't go yesterday so can't judge how he performed, but if he played his typical game then he would have been reliable, keeping it simple and looking to pass to an available player.

He's never going to catch the eye like Bannan or Lee, he's more like Lees quietly going about his business.  

He's more than capable of covering for Hutchinson and it gives more time for Hutchinson to regain his fitness levels.

Hutch is a better player. Should start if fit.

Take away Jones' wonder strike, and before yesterday he'd been completely ineffective. 

Decent back up, and in a 433 or a diamond as we've seen recently, he could be more effective.

Certainly not as a partner with Bannan in a 442. Ok if we have to go away to a tough place and grind out a result, but if that's our regular midfield pairing, we'll be mid table at best.

Jones cannot tackle very well and neither can Bannan.

However both are excellent readers of the game and can close down the space when it appears. With more games Jones will get sharper and should be in the right place at the right time to get in the way. The main problem will be against teams that will carry the ball at the heart of our team, if both can get in the way to channel it towards some who can tackle while blocking alleys for a pass they should be ok.

With Hutch out it is a chance for Jones to stamp his authority on the team but as previously mentioned there will be times when both him and Hutch are needed.

12 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Jones cannot tackle very well and neither can Bannan.

However both are excellent readers of the game and can close down the space when it appears. With more games Jones will get sharper and should be in the right place at the right time to get in the way. The main problem will be against teams that will carry the ball at the heart of our team, if both can get in the way to channel it towards some who can tackle while blocking alleys for a pass they should be ok.

With Hutch out it is a chance for Jones to stamp his authority on the team but as previously mentioned there will be times when both him and Hutch are needed.

Isnt that what happened yesterday?

They had loads of possession, in dangerous areas through the middle or via the speed merchants out wide, but they created little from open play. We had a very robust formation, if a bit deep at times, and they couldn't get past or round us. Eventually, most moves broke down with a misplaced or over hit pass. It was very nervy to watch, but it an excellently executed defensive display by the whole team.

And Bannan put in some great tackles.

8 hours ago, NYCOWL said:

I don't understand the stick Jones gets.

Hes a very capable player, and he seems to get the best out of Bannan

The problem with some OTers is, they think we need the best player in the Championship playing in all 11 positions for us. 

Doesnt and never ever will work like that. 

Good dependable players - ones who might score a 7 most weeks, maybe an 8 - are quite adequate for a promotion chasing team, especially when other players (BB recently, Fletch) score higher. 

Jones doesn't deserve the stick he gets, neither does Hunt. They aren't the best midfielder/ RB in the division but they aren't the worst. 

Jones is one of those players who just gets on with it. He's quiet, he's not a 'character' and he doesn't do anything on the pitch that draws too much attention.

hes the type of player who fans don't take to. From what I've seen, despite what others have said, he is a good solid performer who gets on with it and does his job well. It seems that Bannan and Reach at least are performing better with him in the side.

For me it should be really hard now for Hutch to get back in. Sorry, I know he's a fans favourite but he is a liability. He can't be relied on to not get injured in an unnecessary week less challenge. Jones seems like he will be more dependable.

oh, and he has a wicked shot on him too which we have seen a couple of times

8 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

The problem with some OTers is, they think we need the best player in the Championship playing in all 11 positions for us. 

This a thousand times over...though I think it is a general problem with football fans. 

Most good teams will have a couple of grafters, lesser players or whatever. 

Players like Jones allow your Bannans etc to play their natural game by doing the "boring" stuff.