4-3-3

Gotta be our formation. Suits all our strikers and all our centre midfielders. We don't have real wingers so it allows us to use our full backs better too. 

we looked better in both home games with it by a mile too

Totally agree. Particularly when our fullbacks play as well as they did tonight, thought Reach inparticular was excellent.

But I don't expect Carlos to do it anytime soon from the off. We need to be a goal down and 45mins in for us to actually commit men forward. 

I think he's too attached to his 442 comfort blanket; ultimately I think it'll be his downfall.

It sets us up to be more on the front foot at the start of games and out manouvere a central midfield pairing.

We got involved in the game a hell of a lot more when reverting to it.

Have to stop this stupid habit of getting off to a slow start in games before reacting to it or we are going to have a mountain to climb to get anywhere near the top 6 this season.

1 minute ago, JackSWFC said:

We currently have 1 fit center back, and you want us to play 3 at the back.

Did you go tonight?

Pudil had a great game and would be fine at the left side with new lad to right and Lee's to middle or preferable Hutch in middle with Lees to right.

Plus Loovens as back up.

Guest RocketOwl

It works well hit playing three slow strikers as we did makes it less effective.

With FF back he would

be perfect on left and Mathias could find a place and it's time Joao was given a chance.

It's not really 4-3-3 - I'd say it was 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond.

It suits us because of our paucity of wingers, and if Hunt and Reach can play like they did tonight we're onto a winner 

We'd need a top new player at the base of the diamond though - Hutch cant be relied on and Jones aint good enough. 

If the Forestieri rift can be healed, he'd be perfect for that number 10 role. 

6 minutes ago, GHS said:

Did you go tonight?

Pudil had a great game and would be fine at the left side with new lad to right and Lee's to middle or preferable Hutch in middle with Lees to right.

Plus Loovens as back up.

Yes, fair play to Pudil, he had a good game tonight. He played there a fair bit pre season and looked bad though in my opinion. I suppose pre season doesn't really mean much performance wise.

Okay, I take it back...

You want us to play 3 at the back, and we currently have 2 fit center backs.

Just now, JackSWFC said:

Yes, fair play to Pudil, he had a good game tonight. He played there a fair bit pre season and looked bad though in my opinion. I suppose pre season doesn't really mean much performance wise.

Okay, I take it back...

You want us to play 3 at the back, and we currently have 2 fit center backs.

And a new lad.

Keep the faith dude.

You know it makes sense lol

8 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

It's not really 4-3-3 - I'd say it was 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond.

It suits us because of our paucity of wingers, and if Hunt and Reach can play like they did tonight we're onto a winner 

We'd need a top new player at the base of the diamond though - Hutch cant be relied on and Jones aint good enough. 

If the Forestieri rift can be healed, he'd be perfect for that number 10 role. 

Carlos doesn't believe he can play no. 10 apparently. He should be given a chance there imo unless we play a traditional wide attacking 4-3-3 where he would be incredible wide forward.

Edited by TrueOwl

2 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

When Hutch Is fit he'll go straight back in to his sweeper role. The difference with the last couple of games is the fact Hutch had to go off. Jones plays further forward and allows Bannon to get forward and play a more attacking role. 

Agree with this.

Our midfield were significantly higher up tonight, and Jones-Bannan link well. 

I really hope hope we see very little of Hutch in CM. 

Before we get carried away about our "new formations" v QPR and Sunderland, lets not forget its two home draws, coming from behind, against two sides not expected to be in contention.

I agree the 433 second half tonight looked hugely promising, but  some of the genuinely balanced 442 performances did so well for us in the second half of last season.

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Before we get carried away about our "new formations" v QPR and Sunderland, lets not forget its two home draws, coming from behind, against two sides not expected to be in contention.

I agree the 433 second half tonight looked hugely promising, but  some of the genuinely balanced 442 performances did so well for us in the second half of last season.

Let me add though....

If Reach plays LB, and can perform like tonight regularly, then yes I think 433 could be very effective.

I don't see the same likelihood of success with Pudil or Fox at LB.

Hunt down the right is suitable too, but not at the same level as Reach tonight. Wow!

Edited by Holmowl

3 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Carlos doesn't believe he can play no. 10 apparently. He should be given a chance there imo unless we play a traditional wide attacking 4-3-3 where he would be incredible wide forward.

That's his best role for me. (wide of the 3 pronged attack)

I don't think he's as good as Hooper as the deep lying player.