OFFICIAL Sheffield Wednesday V Sunderland Match Day Thread

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I think Carlos really needs to settle upon a formation and approach. 

It's good to have flexibility and one of CC's biggest strengths has always been his ability to change a game at half time (he often needs to :duntmatter:), but we've got to try and settle upon something. 

I mean from my reckoning we've gone 4-4-2 (normal), to 4-4-2 (diamond), to 4-4-2 (normal) with a switch to 4-3-3 and tonight we went back to 4-4-2 (diamond) and then changed again to 4-3-3. That's in the space of 4 games! 

I thought the diamond worked really well against Chesterfield, but not so much tonight...but then if you keep chopping and changing how can you honestly expect to build any consistency? 

What I think we do need to do is sack off the 4-4-2 (normal) i.e. with the flat midfield. For me that system with this team has run its course and it isn't getting the best out of what we do have. 

The more I see, the more I think the 4-4-3 formation is our best bet. Certainly at home it gives us more outlets and more options. 

That's Dave Allen's favourite...

28 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's good to have flexibility and one of CC's biggest strengths has always been his ability to change a game at half time (he often needs to :duntmatter:), but we've got to try and settle upon something. 

I mean from my reckoning we've gone 4-4-2 (normal), to 4-4-2 (diamond), to 4-4-2 (normal) with a switch to 4-3-3 and tonight we went back to 4-4-2 (diamond) and then changed again to 4-3-3. That's in the space of 4 games! 

I thought the diamond worked really well against Chesterfield, but not so much tonight...but then if you keep chopping and changing how can you honestly expect to build any consistency? 

What I think we do need to do is sack off the 4-4-2 (normal) i.e. with the flat midfield. For me that system with this team has run its course and it isn't getting the best out of what we do have. 

The more I see, the more I think the 4-4-3 formation is our best bet. Certainly at home it gives us more outlets and more options. 

And a settled strike-force!

Three games in we have started...

FF Rhodes

Hooper Rhodes

Hooper Winnall

If he still sees FF as a striker, which I think he does, we have 10 different pairings, and I fear he will mix and match to try all,of them.

That doesn't work.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Wish I'd seen this old boy. I was just on about the tactics and started a thread!

carlos-flexibility-how-we-got-back-in-it-tactical-review/

Second half was very positive yesterday.

Not perfect by any means, but a step in the right direction.

It's clear that with Fletcher and Hooper on the pitch, we're a different team. Fletcher offers a physical presence that no one else can. Hooper has the footballing brain and can get the move flowing with a touch and turn/pass.

Reach at left back in the second half was a positive, bags of energy and grew into the game. Hunt was very solid and played very very well, pace and made some vital interceptions.

Jones, for as much stick as he gets, he does the job that's expected of him, breaks up play and keeps possession. (It frustrates me when the crowd get on his back for passing it backwards, he's not the sort of player to take 5 men on, that's not his role)

Bannan was back to his energetic self, chased every ball and really got us going.

It's clear what we're still missing...a monster in midfield to pick the second balls up and drive forward. We can't slate Bannan and Jones for not being that player, because they're just not that sort of player.

We can't slate the strikers for not running in behind and stretching the defence, because again, that's not in their game.

We've all known for 2 years now that we need a big midfielder and pacey striker, we don't have them.

But it's not the players fault, we need to stick with them and push them on this season.

• Like 1