V. SETÚBAL EMPRESTA FREDERICO VENÂNCIO AO SHEFFIELD DE CARLOS CARVALHAL

Just now, dmw said:

It's pretty unbelievable, isn't it? For ages it's all been about how we've not managed to sign a central defender. Moan moan moan.

Then we get one and it's "oh, never heard of him, must be c**p".

You don't deserve this club.

Stupid comment. 

Just because we need a central defender doesn't mean we just want to sign anyone. 

I think you'll find that most are confused why we haven't spent money on a proven CB with the money we have thrown elsewhere.

Guest Kameron

He's gunna be some player, over 200 looked at and deemed not good enough so this guy cleary passes the defensive coaches very high standards.

12 minutes ago, Almat said:

The Victory of Setúbal will lend the central Frederico Venâncio to the English of Sheffield Wednesday, directed by Carlos Carvalhal.

According to the newspaper O Jogo, the loan will be valid for one season, with the English club having the right to exercise a call option at the end of the season.

Frederico Venâncio will now play in the Championship, the second tier of English football. This season he started in the three official games of the sadinos, against Tondela (League Cup), Moreirense and Sporting (Primera Liga).

Great news - we've never had one failure with Portugese players...

The treatment room is already full!

1 minute ago, poite said:

Stupid comment. 

Just because we need a central defender doesn't mean we just want to sign anyone. 

I think you'll find that most are confused why we haven't spent money on a proven CB with the money we have thrown elsewhere.

Just because the majority of Owlstalk have never heard of him doesn't mean he isn't a capable centre-back.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Just because the majority of Owlstalk have never heard of him doesn't mean he isn't a capable centre-back.

I never said he wasn't. 

I just said Im not convinced due to the recent track record of Portuguese signings. 

Just now, poite said:

Stupid comment. 

If I ever say or write anything stupid in my life I'll be sure to let you know.

My comment was an observation about the mindless attitude of some fans who carp and moan regardless. Whether Venancio is a good signing or not is quite another matter, but there is no reason to assume the club would have signed someone of poor quality. Far from it - if CC and his coaching team have sifted 200+ they are being pretty damn choosy so it hardly seems likely they lowered their standards just to bring in any old rubbish for you to slag off.

I will do what I always do with our signings, back him, give him a chance and see how it goes. We needed a CB and it looks like we're signing one. Young, plenty of experience, let's judge him when he's here ( assuming he doesn't get injured and then spend a year trying to get back fit.)