The Wednesday -V- Queens Park Rangers - OMDT

1 minute ago, adifferentgame said:

No. It takes apparently takes 6 months under Carlos to make people start questioning your ability.

You think Middlesborough shipped him out on loan and then dumped him to us because they thought his performances were so good out on the pitch?

Just now, The Dukeries Owl said:

Weren't fussed in January personally.

Aye, me either. Didn't see him fitting in with our system or squad especially well.

There were some promising signs that he might be able to work alongside Winnall, but too much competition to allow that to flourish.

Like I suggested way back in the post you first responded to. Would be as well selling him if we aren't going to build around him - which we're clearly not going to do.

2 minutes ago, adifferentgame said:

Did anyone question his ability before we signed him, or was there an almighty spunkfest on here?

Absolutely we did.

Plenty of us couldn't believe they paid ~£8 million to sign him after how ineffective he was on loan. 

For the record, I do think he still can be a quality striker, but I think he's not in it:  Any striker that declines to even take a penalty isn't on form, and we haven't seen even a glimpse of the Jordan Rhodes that banged in 25 goals for Blackburn.

Edited by Indoor Owl
  • Like 1

Just now, Indoor Owl said:

Absolutely we did.

Plenty of us couldn't believe they paid ~£8 million to sign him after how ineffective he was on loan. 

Pretty sure our hands were tied when it came to fronting up the money over summer - dodgy as that is.

But we were talking about signing him on loan, not whether or not we should have spunked £8m on him in retrospect (something which we agree on).

Well, I expected QPR to be there for the taking given they are one of the teams tipped to struggle.and we were bouncing back from a shocker in the first league game.

I've never been a particular fan of Holloway, but they surprised me, playing great passing football, closed us down very well, opened us up time after time, particularly on our right in the first half - all in all the kind of exciting and resilient away performance I'd love to see us emulate.

Good that we came back to grab a point, but not much more to say than that; sadly, another disappointing start to a season and another match where we don't turn up until the second half.

Guest Maxine
1 hour ago, horny owl said:

Nope

If he played well he'll be dropped

This is the way for 'clueless Carlos' 

Oh dear I hope you're wrong.

Well I'm definitely putting optimistic Groundhopping Owl back in his box.

That first half performance was utterly lifeless and QPR were excellent - their midfielders, especially Luongo, gave our lot a lesson in how quickly to move the ball about.

Second half we were all over them for the first 20 minutes, deserved our goal and if we'd been more ruthless would have had more. After that the life drained away again and we were very lucky when LuaLua missed that sitter at the end. 

Draw was a fair result I'm afraid and we don't look anywhere near the required standard for automatic promotion. We're absolutely crying out for new centre backs and better width being provided. 5 points dropped already - top 2 teams would be on 6 points this evening with our fixtures. Sunderland mid week just became absolutely crucial for making sure a bad start doesn't turn into a disastrous one.

46 minutes ago, Daz said:

Well, I expected QPR to be there for the taking given they are one of the teams tipped to struggle.and we were bouncing back from a shocker in the first league game.

I've never been a particular fan of Holloway, but they surprised me, playing great passing football, closed us down very well, opened us up time after time, particularly on our right in the first half - all in all the kind of exciting and resilient away performance I'd love to see us emulate.

Good that we came back to grab a point, but not much more to say than that; sadly, another disappointing start to a season and another match where we don't turn up until the second half.

Recurring theme isn't it. Close us down in midfield. No legs in there without Kieran Lee.

Edited by Bluesteel

Overall a disappointing performance but maybe a few things that offer a little encouragement. I thought Winall did really well and maybe a partnership with Hooper could work. Rhodes for me looked out of touch.  How Jones gets in the squad is a mystery to me. Injuries are worrying especially in view of our lack of cover at theback.