tonights fans forum

Just now, Grandad said:

Complete bullcrap

Wayne Rooney made his Premiership debut at 16, and his full England debut at 17.

When you're ready, you're ready. Ask George Hirst if he thinks he's ready 

He'd call out this bullcrap as well

I'm not saying he's ready or not. Never seen him play other than on the videos on the OS so not that qualified to make an informed opinion. What I'm saying, and I think you know it  is that if and when he makes the first team the pressure he will be under to score will be huge whether he can cope with it remains to be seen. Polar opposite of his dad really. I remember him coming on to make his debut to moans and groans and wtf. 

18 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Complete bullcrap

Wayne Rooney made his Premiership debut at 16, and his full England debut at 17.

When you're ready, you're ready. Ask George Hirst if he thinks he's ready 

He'd call out this bullcrap as well

Not really fair to compare Hirst and Rooney though mate as the latter had a well built physique even then to be able to adjust to the first team.

One could also argue it is actually more difficult to prosper against more physical championship defenders than against cultured Premier league stoppers.

2 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Not really fair to compare Hirst and Rooney though mate as the latter had a well built physique even then to be able to adjust to the first team.

One could also argue it is actually more difficult to prosper against more physical championship defenders than against cultured Premier league stoppers.

What about Michael Owen then? He's still built like a 12 year old. When your ready your ready. 

5 minutes ago, Woodie said:

What about Michael Owen then? He's still built like a 12 year old. When your ready your ready. 

And if you're not, you're not.  The obsession with starting Hirst is borderline insane.  When it's just a few keyboard warriors, so be it, but when a public meeting and the chairman has to listen to the witless drivel of some no-mark who (I was told) later admitted he's never seen Hirst play, it really does get a bit tiresome.

Guest Grez Bez
8 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Are we seriously comparing a young lad nobody has seen play to England's 2 best strikers of the last 30 years?

2 hours ago, mark77 said:

20000 would keep us under FFP for 2 more years , less sold and it may be enough for another season.

If my maths is reasonable then 20 k sold would generate around 30 to 35 million. Surely this is totally unrealistic. Unless there is more incentive I honestly can't see more than a thousand being sold.

1 minute ago, CLswfc said:

Why not if you havent seen the lad play. Another unsupported statement like many on here. Do Wednesday wait to see if all our main strikers are injured/banned at the same. Strange, he would be good enough then to start. How fickle folk are. Only way to judge the lad is to see how he copes at the top level. I remember something happening to a player who came to us but someone wanted to see how he performed on grass. Oh dear that turned out to be a disaster just like when Hirst is snapped up by someone who is prepared to let him have a go.

That's bananas, sorry.  In the end, if a big club offers enough, they'll take him.  The money will drive this.  Meanwhile, whether he is in the first team squad or not can only be on current merits, not on the basis of some future transfer strategy.  To be clear, my view on whether he's good enough at present has minimal value.  I have seen him play a few times, but only a few times, and I don't have the professional competence to judge.  But on what I have seen the professionals making their judgment are calling it right. 

The one thing to add is that this could change very quickly. Even sixmonths hence, he might very well be ready.

4 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Are we seriously comparing a young lad nobody has seen play to England's 2 best strikers of the last 30 years?

Exactly, Rooney was built like a brick outhouse from about 14 years old and Owen was so quick defenders didn't get the chance to kick him up in the air. 

These are 2 of the best strikers England has produced in the last 20 years and some are using them as a fair comparison! How many others have broken through with such effect?

If Carlos and the coaching team thought that George could offer more right now than Fletcher, Forestieri, Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall, Joao or Nuhiu why wouldn't they pick him?

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Exactly, Rooney was built like a brick outhouse from about 14 years old and Owen was so quick defenders didn't get the chance to kick him up in the air. 

These are 2 of the best strikers England has produced in the last 20 years and some are using them as a fair comparison! How many others have broken through with such effect?

If Carlos and the coaching team thought that George could offer more right now than Fletcher, Forestieri, Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall, Joao or Nuhiu why wouldn't they pick him?

Both had careers criminally mismanaged as teens too , Owen finished by the time he was 26/27 and Rooney has been a flat track bully for years. 

I like most on here would love to see Hirst be given a chance , but the truth is we are after promotion and currently we have better options to put on the bench at this moment in time however things can change quickly and he may get his chance in the coming months. 

Our chairmen set up this meeting for the supporters to question the running of the club, which this summer off the field hasn't been the best it can be.

All credit to DC for this.

Yet the discussion is all about whether an untried youngster should get a place in the first team 

You honestly couldn't make it up!

42 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Not at all sorry I think it must have come across wrong. I didn't make the original comparison with Rooney I just don't understand the "he's not built for the league" Or "he needs to get on the weights" type comments. He is simply not good enough yet to even get on the bench. Anyone who would pick him over our 5 strikers is insane. 

As I said the other day Danny Cowley has said in the local press he is looking for a striker,ideally to buy, send George there for the season and see how he gets on,stick in a 24 hour recall clause if he does the business.

1 hour ago, elyowl1 said:

Both had careers criminally mismanaged as teens too , Owen finished by the time he was 26/27 and Rooney has been a flat track bully for years. 

I like most on here would love to see Hirst be given a chance , but the truth is we are after promotion and currently we have better options to put on the bench at this moment in time however things can change quickly and he may get his chance in the coming months. 

Could anyone honestly say that either Rooney or Owen would walk into a premiership side these days? The whole culture of, especially the premiership, has changed with clubs buying a goal scorer rather than take a chance on a, young unknown in the premiership striker. Listening to a discussion the other day about Rashford and Lingard and the pressure they are under at the minute. They are not producing the goods so the likelihood is Mouriniho will look to the transfer market to solve the problem and they will be frozen out maybe even sold on.

There also seems to be an assumption that it's Carlos's decision not to play him. Surely the academy coaches would have some input and advise Chansisri as well as Carlos

Edited by darra

9 minutes ago, darra said:

As I said the other day Danny Cowley has said in the local press he is looking for a striker,ideally to buy, send George there for the season and see how he gets on,stick in a 24 hour recall clause if he does the business.

Might be wrong but I thought the rules had changed on short-term loans last season and clubs can't put a recall in place. Thought loans now had to be 3-months or whole season. ON that basis don't see why we couldn't let him go until Christmas though.

1 hour ago, LSOwls said:

But his name is Hirst and is the son of David. He's from Sheffield 

What did Spurs do with Harry Kane at George's age? 

42 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Might be wrong but I thought the rules had changed on short-term loans last season and clubs can't put a recall in place. Thought loans now had to be 3-months or whole season. ON that basis don't see why we couldn't let him go until Christmas though.

You could be right mate. Thing is, as was said on the radio the other night, it is incredibly difficult for home grown players to make it these days especially in the Premiership and to some extent the Championship. As one of those taking part said it will be interesting to see how many of the young players who did so well for England in the recent tournaments actually make it to the top level. General consensus was maybe one or two of them.

15 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

£36 million to get us promoted but only £6 million nett as at the end of 3 year period £30 million quids worth of season tickets will have been given away. 

lol

its like me saying, you lot put £30million into my bank account.

ill wait for a big Euro lottery jackpot and spend the lot on tickets.

if I lose, it was worth a bash.

if I win, I'll spend £30million on season tickets for you lot and I'll pocket the £70million.

Deal?

That is exactly what Chansiri is saying to us.