EXCALIBUR

your 1st game you went to

First game 96 away to Oxford in the league cup, lost 1-0 last minute Nigel Jemson goal.

First home game, November 96 1-1 Southampton. Jon Newsome scored for us, Le Tissier scored a pen for them.

Boxing day massacre 1979 v sheff utd, stood on leppings lane because rest of my family are all blades, couldn't get a better first match, got my first Wednesday kit that Christmas too, happy days,, 

• Agree 1

1972 against Southend Utd.

God i've suffered..........

V Fulham 1974 .. won 1-0 .. watched from the kop.. still remember that feeling of walking onto the kop .. love at first sight

The 10th of November 1962 was a murky, dank, grey day that chilled you to the bone. But it was the day that my mate suggested that I went with him to the football. We caught the Booth & Fisher match day special from a car park off Sheffield Road in Killamarsh and on that packed bus a lifetime of addiction to the drug known as Sheffield Wednesday began. We parked up in the ABC streets opposite Hillsborough park and went through the juvenille entrance to be faced with a muddy slope that was the back of the Kop. We clambered and slithered our way up ignoring the meandering path that everyone else was taking until we reached the very apex...and...I looked down onto the pitch...and was totally gobsmacked. It seemed that half the population of Sheffield was there in the murky afternoon half light, and the whole place literally twinkled as people lit up their fags. I can't remember anything about the match other than the opposition was Aston Villa and it finished 0-0. Looking at the records tells me that the attendance that day was just over 20K, so my memory is playing me tricks. However, it's a wonderful obsession that burns just as bright today as it did then. Mind you I couldn't clamber up that slippery slope these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Blackpool at Hillsborough December 1964 4-1 John Fanthan scored a cracking diving header

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

May 1967 home v Arsenal. An end of season, nothing game between two mid-table teams. Yet the start of a life-long bittersweet love affair.

• Agree 1

Watching Hirst coming on and scoring as sub on his home debut whilst stood on the new shiny new kop under its new roof.

25th August 1986.

Early 80's, remember standing at front of kop, and there was always a kid trying to catch flies by clapping his hands together (strange what you remember) no idea which team was the first I saw.

Arsenal 7 Wednesday 1 at Highbury August 1992....

The only way was up. Or so I thought

Sheffield United v Liverpool in the late fifties

My Unitedite father took me to Bumhole Lane obviously hoping or assuming I would follow the Blunts.

Living on the Cross, there was never much chance of that.

I can/t for the life of me remember which was my first Wednesday game

• Agree 1

I can't remember my first game but I was taken to Hillsborough and Ayesome Park in the late 60's when we lived in Middlesbrough and visited family in Sheffield. 

I do remember when we moved back to Sheffield, that Sheffield United had their best team of my lifetime including Currie, hockey and Woodward (rip)., I came home from  school having been tormented by unitedites all day and told my Dad I was going to change my  support to  the blades, you would have thought I had told him I had tried to shag the pet cat lol I was told I could go and live with the red and white rumblezoids if I wanted to support them. Since I was only six at the time I decided to stick with Wednesday lol

Edited by Geedee
  • Agree 1

First game at Hillsborough was that dreaded 7-1 mauling against Nottingham Forest, Bright scored a penalty for us, marked the beginning of the end for Francis.

Edited by Mat-Owl

Away to spurs in the fa cup. Lost 4-1. Mullery took a penalty, Springett saved but Mullery followed up and scored. I think Alan Gilzean got one and the others were the Martins (Chivers and Peters). Ours was I think Sunley from a free kick. In fairness we were well and truly outplayed. But we were in blue with white sleeves. Only time I saw them before switching back to stripes. Needless to say I was very young at the time, and was then living in London.

Sat  8 Dec 1984  CHELSEA................. 1-1   29,373   Imre Varadi

18 hours ago, torryowl said:

same game as me then ash ......

and you've taken all these years to say hello :baby:will we meet v. QPR? there again it could be another 55 years(NOT):rolleyes:

Earlier post accurate regarding first match at Hillsborough, but realised that I was taken to Hull City v Mansfield Town in Feb 1966 by relatives we were visiting near Hull! Division 3 match, crowd of 26,000+ in the old Boothferry Park ground, I remember we caught the train to the ground and it stopped virtually outside the ground. I think a Wagstaff scored a couple that day would it be Barry or Ken? Someone on here will know.:picnic:

Just checked on Google, it was Ken Wagstaff, Barry played for the Blunts along with his brother Tony ("known to be bony"). Thank God google is here as a memory checker...they'll be around with my medication soon. Nurse!:wacko:

Oh my I managed to find my first game on the interweb. It's strange but after all these years, I was a small gundling back then, I always had it in my memory that it was dark at kick-off. Totally bizarre that it was actually sunny.

Watching the video I remember vividly as soon as 'hark now hear the Wednesday sing ...' and it was such a strange moment for me, all these people around me loudly singing a song. I recall thinking to myself, what is this madness I have become part of? 

I remember a Bristol attack and all around me take a sharp intake of breath and then we clear it and the counter is on and Trevor Francis is away, sprint mode, full flight, this is fantastic ... and .... and ... dad! dad! did you see that he nearly killed him! A cynical tackle and the crowd are shouting really loud now and I have this feeling inside like I am part of some army or something like when we played Vikings or Cowboys Injuns and wow I love this.

What's his name again with big legs dad?

Carlton Palmer.

I like him he's good.

Hirst scores! Wow everyone around me has stood up and they're jumping and clapping and I am just sat there thinking what the hell I guess I best stand up, can't see much but I saw him stick the ball in the top corner what a goal that was!

1-0 half-time remember walking around all the bodies on the concourse and we get a drink and then back to the seats.

Getting dark now, ahh now I remember.

Palmer header. What a save from their goalie!

Come on Wednesday! Oh my did I just shout that? 

GOAL! I jump up. But wait, it's not a goal there was a foul. That sudden rush is swapped for a sharp pang of disappointment.

Now we're attacking wave after wave and then a diving header and it is given GOAL! I'm jumping up now and my cousin has picked me up. PROMOTION! He is screaming at me.

HIRST! 3-0 WHAT A FINISH. Thumped into the net.

Bristol make it 3-1 with a screamer from distance and I remember all around me clapping it as it was a quality strike.

Then the full-time whistle goes and the crowd roars as loud as all night and we head back to the car in the crowd of people and I remember saying to my dad .... 

Can we go again?

• Agree 1