Owls Launch Club 1867 Membership

4 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Why not just offer 3 year season tickets again - or am I being daft?

Think there is only so many times you can ask supporters to cough up £1,500+ all in one go.

Only been 18 months since last time. Think this sort of money making scheme can only be asked for about once every 10-15 years if done right.

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Yeah, here comes a "True fan" - he's been clapping along all summer.

Boyd was a cheap option like Djouro, Hutton and Mulgrew.

The Mulgrew bid was reported on Sky: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11703/10965162/sheffield-wednesdays-charlie-mulgrew-offer-rejected-by-blackburn

If "FFP is what you want it to be" than surely you're being negative because it appears that DC wants to put no more in.

Do you honestly think we bid £6m for Sean Morrison?

I'm not a TrueFan these days sadly, not had a season ticket for 5 years! :sad:

Already said perhaps we only signed Boyd as he was a cheap option on the wing, something Carlos wouldn't have been bothered about had we had to pay a fee?

If Sky Sports say it is true, then it must be true! lol

I don't know if Mr Chansiri wants to put more in or not, but I don't believe he HAS to stop putting in - FFP won't have any impact if we buy the right players to win promotion. I sense Mr Chansiri is using FFP as a way of getting more fans to part with more cash.

Cardiff say they rejected a bid from us for Morrison - never said how much. Not sure what they would benefit from saying that if it wasn't true.

You've still to post a positive thing by the way!

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Hmm so if we get into the Premier League my season ticket on the North Stand will probably be about £700 for 18 games?

And in all likelihood we would not win many games either.

It kinda makes me think of this, because this is the way its heading. 

£39 a ticket for QPR at home Saturday. 

I think it needed to be a better incentive, say £1500 in north for the 3 seasons in Prem. 

People who bought the 3 year deal last time round, could of been paying a lot less in prem, they still could if we go up this season. 

Which makes me deffo think, if we go up, we are going to see some really high prices. 

As a minimum they are going to have to charge more than this 1867 initiative, otherwise its a rip off for the people who decide to do it. 

So you can expect at least £650 a season ticket in the north. 

Thats bobbar loads to be fair. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 17.06.40.png

15 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Where am I finding fault? 

I have a worry about the financial situation. The solution to my eyes is to prune the squad - something I would be fully supportive of. He's had a pop and it hasn't worked so far.

Maybe we have to go a bit slower - keep Carlos and let him build something long term. I support keeping Carlos - that's a pretty fundamental thing you don't seem to have noticed that I'm not finding fault with.

If he can raise cash from this club fair play to him. No-one has to join this club - its very different from his actions re kit and ticket prices that I do object to. 

You're being over-sensitive, too hasty to jump on anything you perceive might indicate even the mildest criticism.  You're not alone and I find it tiresome - I'm sure you regard the Chansiri critics in a similar way. 

You know what, I pretty much agree with you! 

Apart from the going slower bit. We could sell 1 or 2 players that would have no significant impact on our performances for more money than this scheme is likely to make and still give promotion as much of a go as we would without those couple of players. 

Not sure how many 3-year season tickets we sold but he can't possibly be expecting to sell as many as these on what amounts to not much more than a promise. 3,500 of these at the middle price offered brings in around £6.3M - just offload some of the surplus and make this just as quickly in transfer fees and wages saved.

I am always pessimistic and cynical about these type of offers. Be interesting to see what the details are. How long will this 3-year PL promise be honoured for if we don't get there? What happens if DC leaves or sells up, will this be written into the terms of sale?

3 hours ago, Rentaghost said:

has to be bigger incentives than that. and it is basically giving the club a loan. 

This does worry me though, because divided by 18 home games in the prem, thats £33 a ticket in the north. So its gonna be a lot more if you don't buy this membership, and even more so if you don't get early bird. 

Hes gonna price fans out. We are northern and work hard and thats a gonna be a lot of money

You forgot winter is coming

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, nebneeb said:

Yes DC has been quite honest in why this is necessary.

But let's be clear, this isn't an investment opportunity for fans. It's an option to purchase a plaque for an obscene amount.

To make it an investment, the return would have to have the clear potential to exceed the outlay.

E.g. This could be along the lines of:

Invest any amount above £1500. Upon promotion to the Premier League, investors can choose to:

a) have the original investment returned

b) have the original investment doubled, and the balance redeemed towards any ticket or merchandise purchases for any seasons we are in the Premier League, until the balance has been used. After 10 seasons in the Premier League, any unused balances will be forfeited.

Should the club fail to reach the Premier League within 5 years, supporters can choose to spend their investment on tickets and merchandise regardless of what league we are in.

That gives investors an upside, an exit option, and a money back in the form of having to spend it on the club anyway option.

It probably wouldn't satisfy financial regulations or FFP though...!

Yep, it's a hope and a promise more than an investment, 3-year season tickets in the PL shouldn't be costing much more than that anyway given we would only have 19 home games and prices are being driven down in the PL by fans frustrated at how much money the clubs are making from the TV deals etc.

The highlighted bit made me chuckle though. Imagine we do sell a few hundred of these and in 5 years time we've then got all those fans with £1500-£2000 to put towards merchandise and ticket - the replica shirts are expensive now but they would probably go up to about £750 a pop as a result of this!

49 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

I don't really understand ffp. Maybe someone could explain what it achieves.

We have a chairman who wants to gamble his own money on getting us into the premier league, so as long as he signs something that says the club won't have to cough up if it all goes t*ts up, where's the problem?

If you believe the noise..

FFP should in theory, stop the following situation happening.

- Chairman buys club for £30m, annual turnover £25m, wages £15m per year, net trading at break even

- Chairman spends £90m on players, increases wage bill to £40m per year. Turnover is £30m per year, annual losses of £40m

- Chairman turns debt into shares

- Chairman loses interest, stops pumping money in. Club trades at a heavy loss, making it a very unattractive purchase, and starts to struggle to pay its bills.

- Club has a fire sale of players, recoups £30m and brings wages down to £15m a year. Club turns over at break even point, but chairman wants £90m for the club.

- Club becomes a zombie, stagnating in middle/bottom half of the league

The only way i can see FFP working, and allowing owners to spend money;

- Owner can put in any funding they like, but must not be in the form of a loan or in exchange for assets - it can only be classed as pure investment

- Owner must put into an holding fund, any amount required to cover committed costs over club turnover. So for example, if a player is signed on £1m a year wages on a 3 year deal, owner must place £3m into an account, much like the rental tenants security scheme, which will be used to ensure clubs cannot be left in millions of pounds of unsustainable costs and debt.

- If the club is sold, new owner must replace the escrow amount before completion of the deal.

- Monies owed back to the owner - for example, a years wages after a player has completed one year - are returned annually following signed off accounts.

I dont know what the legal/financial implications for the person doing this will be, but not only would this allow those with money to indulge, it also guarantees the short to medium term future of the club. It probably also helps slow down crazy spending, when the owner realises they are likely to have to "double pay" for excessive deals.

13 minutes ago, AMB1867 said:

This is actually a terrible idea isn't it?

Not only may we not go up in that time, but some fans who could afford it, may not be best pleased with Carlos and his tactics.

Chansiri must have got some terrible business advisors around him. 

Really?  First I heard tell me more

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep, it's a hope and a promise more than an investment, 3-year season tickets in the PL shouldn't be costing much more than that anyway given we would only have 19 home games and prices are being driven down in the PL by fans frustrated at how much money the clubs are making from the TV deals etc.

The highlighted bit made me chuckle though. Imagine we do sell a few hundred of these and in 5 years time we've then got all those fans with £1500-£2000 to put towards merchandise and ticket - the replica shirts are expensive now but they would probably go up to about £750 a pop as a result of this!

As it stands, I would say £750 for a replica shirt is probably a better "investment" than the clubs current plaque offer. You could go to the bookies and put the other £750 on us to be promoted within 3 years. Then if we do, you'll have enough money to buy a season ticket, and also have a shirt to wear.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

If you believe the noise..

FFP should in theory, stop the following situation happening.

- Chairman buys club for £30m, annual turnover £25m, wages £15m per year, net trading at break even

- Chairman spends £90m on players, increases wage bill to £40m per year. Turnover is £30m per year, annual losses of £40m

- Chairman turns debt into shares

- Chairman loses interest, stops pumping money in. Club trades at a heavy loss, making it a very unattractive purchase, and starts to struggle to pay its bills.

- Club has a fire sale of players, recoups £30m and brings wages down to £15m a year. Club turns over at break even point, but chairman wants £90m for the club.

- Club becomes a zombie, stagnating in middle/bottom half of the league

The only way i can see FFP working, and allowing owners to spend money;

- Owner can put in any funding they like, but must not be in the form of a loan or in exchange for assets - it can only be classed as pure investment

- Owner must put into an holding fund, any amount required to cover committed costs over club turnover. So for example, if a player is signed on £1m a year wages on a 3 year deal, owner must place £3m into an account, much like the rental tenants security scheme, which will be used to ensure clubs cannot be left in millions of pounds of unsustainable costs and debt.

- If the club is sold, new owner must replace the escrow amount before completion of the deal.

- Monies owed back to the owner - for example, a years wages after a player has completed one year - are returned annually following signed off accounts.

I dont know what the legal/financial implications for the person doing this will be, but not only would this allow those with money to indulge, it also guarantees the short to medium term future of the club. It probably also helps slow down crazy spending, when the owner realises they are likely to have to "double pay" for excessive deals.

FFP prevents championship clubs competing financially with relegated clubs.

That's fair apparently!

1 hour ago, AMB1867 said:

This is actually a terrible idea isn't it?

Not only may we not go up in that time, but some fans who could afford it, may not be best pleased with Carlos and his tactics.

Chansiri must have got some terrible business advisors around him. 

If anyone needs advising, it's you pal.

1 hour ago, Rentaghost said:

It kinda makes me think of this, because this is the way its heading. 

£39 a ticket for QPR at home Saturday. 

I think it needed to be a better incentive, say £1500 in north for the 3 seasons in Prem. 

People who bought the 3 year deal last time round, could of been paying a lot less in prem, they still could if we go up this season. 

Which makes me deffo think, if we go up, we are going to see some really high prices. 

As a minimum they are going to have to charge more than this 1867 initiative, otherwise its a rip off for the people who decide to do it. 

So you can expect at least £650 a season ticket in the north. 

Thats bobbar loads to be fair. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 17.06.40.png

I thought the season tickets were free, and the plaque is £1500? That's what the statement says! 

Im sure the charitable souls that take up the offer won't complain if Chansiri decides to go all Dean Hoyle and reduce the prices on the back of the Premier League zillions.

I can see the future in the Premier League...

Huge swaithes of central seats with little gold discs on 'em in every stand taken up by Thai people eagerly awaiting real owls swooping down prior to kick off in a now famous syncronised display.  

Everyone one of them dressed in full kit in the latest blue and white striped shirt  and everyone on here moaning that they can't get a ticket, the pies still lack moisture and as well as DC's done, he still hasn't sorted out the pale sausage rolls.

Edited by sonofbert2

Let's say for example you'd have done this on the back of the euphoria of the play off final at Wembley, if it had been rolled out then. I would have felt a little short changed after the lack of entertainment last season. 

Just my own perspective but not sure it would generate the funds I think the club are hoping for. I'm sure an Owlstalk poll would clarify this?

Sorry but not been through 14 pages. 

Taking out the 'free' season ticket means you get a few words on your own seat.

i already have a few words on a brick under the south stand. 

Most at people who would consider this are probably in the same position. 

Yes it is a way around the accounting rules but please look at the strategic position.