The Wednesday v Chesterfield Matchday Thread

Went tonight. 

Few thoughts (obvious caveat being we faced Chessie): 

General play: thought we knocked it around well tonight. Our passing was crisp for the most part and there was some good bits of interchange and close control in some tight spots. Was by and large a positive performance with us being very much on the front foot. Good to see plenty of crosses into the box and some good overlaps and cut backs. 

Formation: well the general consensus is it was some sort of diamond. Jones looked comfortable at the base of it, just shielding the back four and distributing the ball out side. Wallace and Bannan were pretty much everywhere and Abdi was utilized more in what'd be his usual role. Hunt and Reach got forward time and time again in the first half which is important. 

Up top: Can we please stick with Hooper and Fletcher. It's our best strike partnership imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Bannan was MOTM by a country mile he was simply superb and thats without one of the best individual goals i've seen in years 

If he replicates it in the league we will all be happy, seriously though it wasn't difficult against chezzie was it?

3 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

If he replicates it in the league we will all be happy, seriously though it wasn't difficult against chezzie was it?

Well no...but then you'd have been calling for CC's head on a plate if we'd have lost. 

We beat the team in front of and did so well. 

Good to hear we played well. Nice little confidence boost. 

Really pleased for Bannan. Unlike most, I've always felt playing on the left was his best position. Gets him out of the engine room and allows him to get on the ball in better areas where he can hurt teams.

Plus he's a confidence player and that will have done him a world of good.

8 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Not one long ball tonight..just saying

Chessie tho

Ball to feet. Finding space. Short passes. Crosses pinged in.

If we had played like that against Preston we would be top in the league.

If we continue it against QPR will looking forward to it. AND I LOVE THE KIT

Came home. Watched babestation. What a day.

Now I need to go and change my bedding and do my laundry.

8 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Not one long ball tonight..just saying

Chessie tho

Not quite true... we played a fair few long balls... just not aimless ones, instead aimed at Fletcher or players making a break. It is good to use the odd long ball rather than play the same way all the time

We (me, Bubbly young un and Mrs Ante's Bubbly)really enjoyed the game, but until Chesterfield scored there was a pre-season friendly feel to our approach play and Chesterfield didn't really get going until Fletcher needlessly clattered their player for his deserved booking, which sparked off the move which led to their goal.

I am getting a bit fed up with Pudil's silly handballs and needless fouls too. The ball into the box was a good one, but it was falling right down into the spot where Pudil and Lees had their player sandwiched, with Joe better positioned to react to any ball coming out of the situation than he would be from a penalty (which he nearly got a good hand to), so I have no idea why Pudil did it. He seems to be one of those players who just cannot resist handling the ball. Never mind. Their goal was the catalyst for us to stop playing pre-season friendly football and again, although it usually takes a setback to get us playing at full speed, we reacted well and dominated the rest of the game apart from a few brief lapses in concentration where Chesterfield forced Joe to pull off three good saves.

Abdi had a good workout and did nothing wrong, but mainly played one-twos which didn't really achieve much attack wise, although allowing us to retain the ball under pressure at times, but he did have a decent shot, just off target first half, was always making himself available for the ball, made some nice runs into space, played a couple of good through balls then fizzled out and contributed less and less as the game wore on. From this performance he looks two or three games off his best, but at least he is back on track.

Bazza got more and more into the game despite some attention from their players at times, but the sharp passing moves in and around the midfield and defensive areas soon had Chesterfield chasing shadows and eventually looking a bit dazzled and frazzled by the intricate passing which had them turning and running one way after another. 

Yes it was 'only' Chesterfield, but another championship team that some of us have heard a lot about recently went out against a team who were 'only' Accrington, apparently because in their first league match of the season the high tempo approach, using "unbelievable amounts of energy", to contain our team at their place, had made 9 of the PNE players legs too tired to do it twice in a week against league two opposition.

This game doesn't show us anything we did not already know, about either team, just as the PNE game didn't, but it was good to see that the Wednesday players could rise to the occasion, with Abdi and five of Saturdays subs starting the game, with Hutchinson coming on to make it six from Saturdays starting lineup. Winall and Matias making up the other two used subs. 

Matias had a nice couple of touches, but came into the middle far too often, losing us the width that we needed to stretch play enough for our passing game to stay effective higher up the field. Winall on the other hand added a new dimension to our attack, carving out two decent attempts on goal, getting into dangerous areas and upping the attacking tempo with clever runs and passing which opened up the defence for himself or others to take advantage of.

Some players still looked a little rusty and although Bannan had an excellent man of the match performance he still exhibits the desire to have a touch first, when a first time pass is required, or to take two or more touches when the moment is slipping away (and players like Winall or Hooper are having to come back from off side positions having made good runs where a quick pass would have put them clear through, then making a pass to stationary players which is almost impossible, because the space has gone and the pass gets intercepted. I am sure Bannan will put that right as the season goes on and it is not really a criticism because he did make us tick with most of his passes, but I got the feeling that when he is under pressure from better or quicker players he will lose the ball more often than he did last night and could be made to pay for it. having said that, the whole team did what they had to do against the opposition they were up against and will hopefully take that into Saturday's game against QPR.

It was unmistakably Bannan MOM, with Wildsmith, Hunt, Hooper and Winall catching the eye too and just behind them Jones who was always available to join in supporting the attack and the defence as well as his midfield work and Reach who grafted hard throughout and would really benefit from being able to concentrate on his attacking play. The rest of the team were all above average although they were not possibly at their best throughout.

• Thanks 1