CLUB STATEMENT

39 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I just don't see how you can sit there with such absolute certainty and declare that the club is f00ked. 

Seems like speculation and conjecture to me. 

Seems like made-up bed-wetting b0ll0x to me.

16 minutes ago, striker said:

I don't get the sense that we have financial issues, DC is a responsible owner and rightly aware of FFP. We all know that FFP is nonsense, but if ever there was a team the authorities would make an example of, it would be us.

We have seen unprecedented investment in the playing staff over consecutive seasons, both of which have ended in failure to be promoted. it is unsustainable to operate withing FFP and maintain this level of investment, particularly when other areas of the club, i.e. commercial activities have performed so poorly for a good number of years.

Yes, DC has made mistakes, but at the end of the day it is his money. My only criticism is the manager situation, which he needs to sort out and stop being so blindly loyal. The delay in the summer before CC was retained tells me DC was not 100% convinced about CC and my sincere hope is that he recognises this error and a new manager is in place shortly, who I would then expect to be given funds to balance the squad.

Easy to forget, I do myself, how far we have come in a short period of time and the types of players we were watching put on our (admittedly striped) shirt only a few seasons ago. 

It was 6 days from PO semi defeat to CC confirming he wanted to stay. It was CC who went away for a few days to think about things not DC.

42 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You mean get promoted? 

Look - you might be eventually be right, but I think to be writing the clubs obituary already is a bit premature. 

Surely the fact that Chansiri is mindful of FFP should be seen as a positive? 

I have to say I agree with you on this one, if he wasn't aware and continued to throw endless amounts of cash around till FFP hit us with a transfer embargo, folk would be going absolutely mental at him and the club.

I am intrigued to know who deals with our transfers and players contracts because there has certainly been many decisions which have puzzled me. 

41 minutes ago, striker said:

I don't get the sense that we have financial issues, DC is a responsible owner and rightly aware of FFP. We all know that FFP is nonsense, but if ever there was a team the authorities would make an example of, it would be us.

We have seen unprecedented investment in the playing staff over consecutive seasons, both of which have ended in failure to be promoted. it is unsustainable to operate withing FFP and maintain this level of investment, particularly when other areas of the club, i.e. commercial activities have performed so poorly for a good number of years.

Yes, DC has made mistakes, but at the end of the day it is his money. My only criticism is the manager situation, which he needs to sort out and stop being so blindly loyal. The delay in the summer before CC was retained tells me DC was not 100% convinced about CC and my sincere hope is that he recognises this error and a new manager is in place shortly, who I would then expect to be given funds to balance the squad.

Easy to forget, I do myself, how far we have come in a short period of time and the types of players we were watching put on our (admittedly striped) shirt only a few seasons ago. 

Not just his money I am afraid.

2 hours ago, owls101 said:

That one decision. But there's some pretty solid evidence that's DCs style is weeing many people off. All fine and dandy when it's going well on the pitch but when things start going pear it looks a lot different. 

I don't blame the on-field situation on Mr Chansiri, that's Carlos' remit - he's been given all the support necessary.

As for Mr Chansiri p*ssing people off, I'll listen to them when they've sunk £70m+ into Wednesday and overseen our two most successful seasons in two decades.

5 hours ago, just visiting said:

I hope your owner doesn't read that.

Of course it's worth it. It's £355k less he has to cover so effectively it's worth £710k to him. Everything above and beyond what you currently raise, match day and non match day, is worth double to him.

Disagree.

Before Chansiri was involved it was £23000 per year for a box and all 30 boxes were full meaning 690k per year from the boxes alone. On top of that box holders would regularly sponsor the matches or the match ball which was sold at a reasonable price meaning extra revenue through that as well. At the moment you if you wanted a centre box you would have to pay 45k for the season or 40k for the ones on the edges. The last i had heard was that only 5 boxes had been sold and other boxes had been given to players. In the meantime of the box prices increasing so much, DC has also pissed off a lot of the current/old corporate fans by using the same attitude as whats is in this club statement, you either put up with it or F off. Meaning not only has he lost the business of the boxes, he has also lost a lot of business with match day sponsors etc.

2 minutes ago, OurDan said:

Disagree.

Before Chansiri was involved it was £23000 per year for a box and all 30 boxes were full meaning 690k per year from the boxes alone. On top of that box holders would regularly sponsor the matches or the match ball which was sold at a reasonable price meaning extra revenue through that as well. At the moment you if you wanted a centre box you would have to pay 45k for the season or 40k for the ones on the edges. The last i had heard was that only 5 boxes had been sold and other boxes had been given to players. In the meantime of the box prices increasing so much, DC has also pissed off a lot of the current/old corporate fans by using the same attitude as whats is in this club statement, you either put up with it or F off. Meaning not only has he lost the business of the boxes, he has also lost a lot of business with match day sponsors etc.

I'm sure they will all come hobbling back if we get promotion to the PL though.

14 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think its a real shame that some people who have followed Wednesday for years can no longer afford to go.

If it means that by pricing these supporters out to give us a better chance of getting to the Premier League then sorry to me its not a price worth paying. Others will disagree which is fair enough.

Also as countless others have pointed out that Huddersfield proved by good management charging £40+ doesnt always work.

Agree.

Like Turkey's voting for Christmas.

16 hours ago, Royal_D said:

So the chairman is basically saying he would happily fund the whole lot but FFP doesn't allow

fair one 

Be great if we get to the Premier League then - assume once the TV revenue does away with the concerns over FFP we'll be getting in to watch Wednesday v Man U for a couple of quid?

If we're wanting Carvalhal out then surely those responsible for signing players must go too.

A transfer committee that's had two years to identify a centre half and a winger who's actually fit but have failed on both counts.

Pennington and Borthwick-Jackson, both reasonable premier league prospects go out on loan to Leeds and were left scratching our heads.

Mistakes have been made both in and out of the boardroom, it happens everywhere of course but have we learned from it?

I'm not interested in box prices or carefully thought out lip service. The bottom line is we've wasted millions of pounds on players that have took us absolutely nowhere.

A better policy from the boardroom regarding our transfer dealings might enable cheaper prices all round.

That's the real situation here. 

3 hours ago, just visiting said:

Have a look at your accounts.

Wage bill in 15/16 was £19.2m.

Then add addition wages for 16/17 of

Winnall 

Fletcher 

Abdi 

Jones 

Reach 

Pudil 

Sasso 

If they are all on £15k per week, which is conservative, that's £5.4m. Then add Buckley + Mcmanaman + Rhodes loan wages. 

You had very little movement of players out on big salaries, so my guess, you'll have easily been over £25m last season.

Forestieri got a big new deal as reward for refusing to play. Westwood, Lees and Lee all agreed new deals.

A lot of the experts on here have been in denial over FFP through the summer.

13 minutes ago, g-owls said:

If we're wanting Carvalhal out then surely those responsible for signing players must go too.

A transfer committee that's had two years to identify a centre half and a winger who's actually fit but have failed on both counts.

Pennington and Borthwick-Jackson, both reasonable premier league prospects go out on loan to Leeds and were left scratching our heads.

Mistakes have been made both in and out of the boardroom, it happens everywhere of course but have we learned from it?

I'm not interested in box prices or carefully thought out lip service. The bottom line is we've wasted millions of pounds on players that have took us absolutely nowhere.

A better policy from the boardroom regarding our transfer dealings might enable cheaper prices all round.

That's the real situation here. 

This. The real un-sustainable situation is our transfer policy. Nobody can deny we've wasted millions. We've made bizarre signings like Urby, have big earners in our reserves in McGugan (who we seemingly refuse to sell) and a big squad with big wages. Chansiris done wonders for SWFC but I think that mainly comes from chucking money at our first team. I don't think he's a particularly savvy or talented chairman. I can't remember us selling a player for anything under him and we're now as fans expected to pay the highest prices in the league. That's not sustainable. A bad season and I worry Chansiri wouldnt know how to turn it around if his hands are tied in terms of financial muscle.

1 hour ago, striker said:

41 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

What would they be then?

Some of the recruitment decisions DC has overseen, the panel with Roeder et al which was ultimately disbanded. Some of his communication could have been better to avoid negative assumptions by fans, pricing, boxes for example, although I fully appreciate not everything needs to be made public. 

Don't get me wrong I think the bloke has been brilliant, he is learning about football and doing it quickly and very well. I have no doubt he will take us to here we want to be. No owner is perfect, but I think we have one of the better ones.

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I don't blame the on-field situation on Mr Chansiri, that's Carlos' remit - he's been given all the support necessary.

As for Mr Chansiri p*ssing people off, I'll listen to them when they've sunk £70m+ into Wednesday and overseen our two most successful seasons in two decades.

From what we know DC is very involved in player recruitment along with his 'advisors' so he has to take some responsibility.

41 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Theyll all be sold when we're in the Prem!

Yeah to all the international and national companies that dominate Sheffield and make it such a thriving commercial area...PL or FL, if the boxes at Hillsborough are going to be sold, then mostly they will sold to local businesses, and even if 1, 2 or 3 years time the club makes it to the PL and they do come running back that will still 1,2 or 3 years of lost revenue and profit. 

20 minutes ago, striker said:

Some of the recruitment decisions DC has overseen, the panel with Roeder et al which was ultimately disbanded. Some of his communication could have been better to avoid negative assumptions by fans, pricing, boxes for example, although I fully appreciate not everything needs to be made public. 

Don't get me wrong I think the bloke has been brilliant, he is learning about football and doing it quickly and very well. I have no doubt he will take us to here we want to be. No owner is perfect, but I think we have one of the better ones.

There's a lot of doubt - especially as other teams strengthen and we don't. But that's sport - and not something I would criticise Chansiri for if we never make it. It's out of his control.