CLUB STATEMENT

Guest mkowl
1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Not read the full thread so apologies if already covered but it appears then that the previous board subsidised corporate boxes by selling them at a loss? 

Depends on how you account for it.

Can't see how we wouldn't have made a gross profit on them. So box revenue + bar sales - food cost - wages - day to day running.

However if you start to allocate general overheads across the revenue generation streams then possibly the contribution earned might be quite modest or indeed negative.

What DC is saying is that the box revenue has to be higher to make it worthwhile bothering.

I personally think there is some mid point in all this and it fails to take into account the potential downside of the local business community no longer feeling engaged with the Club.

19 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I'd anticipate a clear out next summer, particularly if we don't go up. 

Problem with this is if a player is still under contract 95% of them wont move for less money so you are stuck with them.

Unless you give then a golden handshake I suppose.

We could be in danger of having to do a fire sale of some of our best players to balance the books if we don't go up this season.

Gambled going up and lost basically.

Guest Kameron
10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah...

i dont buy this theory that Chansiri had a magic figure in his mind and once he goes over it that'll be the end of spending. 

Clearly FFP is curtailing our ability to compete and limiting what he can put in. 

Does make you wonder though about why the club continues to commercially fall short.

Blackburn and Forest are two very good examples, DC has spent small change compared with those two.  He will only have so much cash which his family are prepared to spend.  There are plenty of ways round FFP if you have serious cash, Bournemouth and Southampton are another two examples who spent massively whilst under football league rules, he's making a complete bo llocks in the transfer market, runs the commercial side appallingly and then blames FFP,  We could and should have been promoted, he is also the one who gave his failing manager a new contract, he needs to get the holes plugged before the ship goes down

Guest Kameron
3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Problem with this is if a player is still under contract 95% of them wont move for less money so you are stuck with them.

Unless you give then a golden handshake I suppose.

We could be in danger of having to do a fire sale of some of our best players to balance the books if we don't go up this season.

Gambled going up and lost basically.

Who gave Fletcher a 4 year contract?? The players aren't to blame, that's down to DC and poor decisions, he needs better advisors.

Guest Kameron
4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

But apart from that you're happy, Kameron? 

He's making a complete bo llocks of it, once the fans turn he'll be off and we'll be in the sh ite again.  His two year plan has clearly not worked and now he's running out of ideas, what kind of Buffoon increases executive box prices despite selling hardly any in the previous season?? Alarm bells are ringing 

3 minutes ago, Kameron said:

He's making a complete bo llocks of it, once the fans turn he'll be off and we'll be in the sh ite again.  His two year plan has clearly not worked and now he's running out of ideas, what kind of Buffoon increases executive box prices despite selling hardly any in the previous season?? Alarm bells are ringing 

Don't think you're taking a slightly extreme view on these things? 

Im pretty sure Chansiri can't just leave. 

Two year plan? 

Where was there talk of a two year plan? There was an aim to get in the Prem in two years and we fell short. 

Not saying everything in the garden is rosey at the moment but the level of doom and gloom is a bit ott imo. You'd think we are on the brink of going out of business with some of the reactions.

Edited by SiJ

Guest Kameron
1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Why can't he? He losing millions each year, there will come a time when he will need to cut the loses, agreed he can't easily pack up and go home but there's no doubting we're in trouble, the honey moon is over.

8 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Why can't he? He losing millions each year, there will come a time when he will need to cut the loses, agreed he can't easily pack up and go home but there's no doubting we're in trouble, the honey moon is over.

No private owner can keep pumping cash in year after year. Anyone who think that Chansiri will spend till his last million are naive.

He will have a budget and numbers in mind. He might be flexible or ill disciplined with this, but he won't be stupid.

Chansiri won't end up in a 2 bed roomed semi in Hillsborough.

No one knows what these numbers are or how much he's backed by TUF. But he won't be here in 6 or 7 years years, still pumping money in to get promoted.

Guest Kameron
10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I just don't see how you can sit there with such absolute certainty and declare that the club is f00ked. 

Seems like speculation and conjecture to me. 

I'd hoped we'd follow the path of Bournemouth or Southampton unfortunately we're looking like a Blackburn or Forest.

6 minutes ago, Kameron said:

I'd hoped we'd follow the path of Bournemouth or Southampton unfortunately we're looking like a Blackburn or Forest.

You mean get promoted? 

Look - you might be eventually be right, but I think to be writing the clubs obituary already is a bit premature. 

Surely the fact that Chansiri is mindful of FFP should be seen as a positive? 

And no I don't think for one minute that there is an endless stream of cash. 

Without the millions of the Prem you'll have to curtail spending at some point. That doesn't mean the end is nigh though. 

I don't get the sense that we have financial issues, DC is a responsible owner and rightly aware of FFP. We all know that FFP is nonsense, but if ever there was a team the authorities would make an example of, it would be us.

We have seen unprecedented investment in the playing staff over consecutive seasons, both of which have ended in failure to be promoted. it is unsustainable to operate withing FFP and maintain this level of investment, particularly when other areas of the club, i.e. commercial activities have performed so poorly for a good number of years.

Yes, DC has made mistakes, but at the end of the day it is his money. My only criticism is the manager situation, which he needs to sort out and stop being so blindly loyal. The delay in the summer before CC was retained tells me DC was not 100% convinced about CC and my sincere hope is that he recognises this error and a new manager is in place shortly, who I would then expect to be given funds to balance the squad.

Easy to forget, I do myself, how far we have come in a short period of time and the types of players we were watching put on our (admittedly striped) shirt only a few seasons ago. 

35 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I don't think Chansiri can just leave but at other clubs where owners have lost interest after initially spending big things have gone downhill quickly.

Its entirely possible Chansiri will lose enthusiasm for Wednesday if we don't get promoted this season and he gets more criticism.

I think Chansiri is a decent bloke but don't like fact that Sheffield Wednesday having been going for 150 years and we are now in a situation of being depended on the whim of a multi millionaire owner from other side of the world who is only accountable to himself.

That's the way football in this country has gone though and other clubs have been in the same boat with varying degrees of success.

15 hours ago, Royal_D said:

So the chairman is basically saying he would happily fund the whole lot but FFP doesn't allow

fair one 

He could charge ridiculous prices to get into the directors box,,,,

sorted

Early bird Directors box season ticket,,,,£200 million...

obviously the price will increase should the directors not buy their early birds...

I'm working on a 3 year Directors box ticket...

• Haha 1