Rhodes to Wolves???

Report: Sheffield Wednesday's Jordan Rhodes among options for Wolverhampton Wanderers after £8m Sam Gallagher bid rejected

Rhodes has struggled since signing for Sheffield Wednesday, but a report suggests Wolverhampton Wanderers have not been put off after failing in an attempt to sign Gallagher from Southampton.

Sheffield Wednesday's Jordan Rhodes is among the options being considered by Wolverhampton Wanderers as an alternative to Southampton striker Sam Gallagher, The Sun on Sunday reports (August 6, page 62).

Wolves are said to have seen an £8 million offer rejected by Southampton, who recently tied Gallagher to a new contract.

Previous reports claimed a loan for the 21-year-old could be on the cards, but according to The Sun on Sunday, Wolves could cast their net elsewhere - and are 'ready to gamble on a goalscorer'.

Their former striker Andre Gray emerged as a target in recent weeks, and the Burnley man is again mentioned as a possibility - despite his rumoured £20 million price tag.

But Rhodes' name is a fresh one as far as Wolves are concerned, although it remains to be seen whether Sheffield Wednesday would be willing to part with the 27-year-old, who completed a club-record permanent move to Hillsborough at the start of last month.

Rhodes has struggled to replicate his previous Championship form since initially joining the Owls on loan in January, scoring just three goals in 21 games for Carlos Carvalhal's team.

Edited by Bloxwich Owl

Guest mrbluesky
1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Would be great if this could happen.  Nothing against Jordan Rhodes - very likeable lad, brilliant record in the Championship but he doesn't suit our brand of football.  We are ruining him as a footballer at the moment. 

I'd rather CC go then the new manager get the best out of a striker that will score for fun.

Nothing against Rhodes, I would consider it though at the right price in order to bring in a quality centre back and something different in midfield or some pace. We don't create enough, put crosses in or play to the strengths of someone like Rhodes. He was a strange signing at the time because ever since Wembley we've lacked power and pace, and we don't play with wingers to get the best out of someone like Rhodes. Either change the manager or we have to sell to bring in the players we need.

Guest Kameron

You build teams around players who have the ability of Rhodes, it's the manger that wants changing not our best players selling because said manager doesn't believe in attacking football 

6 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

I'd rather CC go then the new manager get the best out of a striker that will score for fun.

I would rather we change our formation and play with 1 up top in either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formation to suit our current crop of midfielders. Rhodes suits playing with a big man up top, I.e. Gestede and wingers who cross into the box.  We don't suit him and we are destroying him as a player.

If this happened, it would be good for us and for Rhodes. I actually feel sorry for the lad at the moment. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Guest wilyfox

Would be a bizarre transfer. Can't see it happening myself - not sure I'd want it to either. Rhodes is not the problem; service is. 

Anyone who says we should get rid now is an imbecile.

You don't turn into an average player when you are in your prime and have done it all in this division before, after joining the club you support and have wished for a move to for years.

If you have a player like Rhodes in your squad, you change your tactics to suit, not try to change how a proven player goes about his game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If we sold Jordan Rhodes whilst retaining Atdhe Nuhiu and Lucas João, I think I might cry.

We don't need him with Hooper, Fletcher & Winnall. We're so top heavy and weak in the middle as much as I like Rhodes, I think i'd rather stick with Winnall and cash in.