Struggling to work it out.

Right might be abit of a long one and not very well constructed but wanna get people's thoughts on things. 

Ive wanted Carlos out since he didn't fix the obvious issues of the first play off defeat. This is because imo we were a few players off being an automatic promotion team and had these been brought in we could have achieved this last season. Instead we bought similar players to what we already had and the only change was to go ultra negative and try to win each game 1-0 which is never going to work in this league. 

Last season produced a good league position but I still think we under achieved for the players at our disposal and the football is turgid boring crap. 

In the car yesterday I was trying to work out what we can do to fix the issues. Imo Carlos won't change. He actually believes we are a positive team and create chances. He says we play to win, yes we might want to win but we don't go out doing all we can to win. 

So for me he has to go. Then the next problem starts. Who do we replace him with? We must have the slowest one dimensional team in the league. Bringing a new manager isn't going to necessarily improve things. Therefore we have to spend more money to get us where the new manager wants the squad. 

We need a couple of players with pace, we need to move the team 20 yards up the pitch. 

I just can't see this whole mess been fixed without getting rid of Carlos, selling a load of players and bringing fresh blood in before the transfer window closes. But then are we starting again and having to build from scratch. 

As I said in the tittle I'm just struggling to work out what to do and I'm glad I'm not DC who is blasting his money and get getting anywhere. 

Thoughts on what you think we should do?

• Like 1

Gotta feel for Chansiri

Nobody would say he's not backed his man

Our Squad is a squad we've dreamed of having for years

We get the most attacking squad in years and years and then play careful defensive football that's delivered a better league finish year on year 

So bizarre

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

He's taken us as far as he can.

Time to thank him for his efforts and progress to the next level with a new approach.

I must say I'm starting to agree also, time for a fresh start and get the negativity gone

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Gotta feel for Chansiri

Nobody would say he's not backed his man

Our Squad is a squad we've dreamed of having for years

We get the most attacking squad in years and years and then play careful defensive football that's delivered a better league finish year on year 

So bizarre

lol

The backing from our Chairman has been incredible.

Most managers can only dream of the support Carlos has received.

5 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Right might be abit of a long one and not very well constructed but wanna get people's thoughts on things. 

Ive wanted Carlos out since he didn't fix the obvious issues of the first play off defeat. This is because imo we were a few players off being an automatic promotion team and had these been brought in we could have achieved this last season. Instead we bought similar players to what we already had and the only change was to go ultra negative and try to win each game 1-0 which is never going to work in this league. 

Last season produced a good league position but I still think we under achieved for the players at our disposal and the football is turgid boring crap. 

In the car yesterday I was trying to work out what we can do to fix the issues. Imo Carlos won't change. He actually believes we are a positive team and create chances. He says we play to win, yes we might want to win but we don't go out doing all we can to win. 

So for me he has to go. Then the next problem starts. Who do we replace him with? We must have the slowest one dimensional team in the league. Bringing a new manager isn't going to necessarily improve things. Therefore we have to spend more money to get us where the new manager wants the squad. 

We need a couple of players with pace, we need to move the team 20 yards up the pitch. 

I just can't see this whole mess been fixed without getting rid of Carlos, selling a load of players and bringing fresh blood in before the transfer window closes. But then are we starting again and having to build from scratch. 

As I said in the tittle I'm just struggling to work out what to do and I'm glad I'm not DC who is blasting his money and get getting anywhere. 

garymegson

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

He's taken us as far as he can.

Time to thank him for his efforts and progress to the next level with a new approach.

Really like Carlos and always defended him against some of the nonsense that gets spouted on here, but I'm beginning to think this too.

Everything's just a big mess at the moment and there are no signs that it will get sorted. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

The backing from our Chairman has been incredible.

Most managers can only dream of the support Carlos has received.

True.

It's a good job Carlos has finished in a higher league finish year on year in that case

Fully justifying the outlay

Owlstalk Shop

I've typed it and typed it and typed it...

Midget midfield = 5 man midfield, 1 striker.

Reach-Hutch-Lee-Boyd = 2 strikers

Lee or Jones.

Fessi-Bannan-Wallace same midfield = forever defending...overloading Hutch....injuring Hutch.

BALANCE and we still haven't replaced Alex Lopez!

Personally I think we need two players one centrehalf and one midfielder similar to Lee if we continue to play 442.

Drop Bannan and FF unless he's played on the wing and play 10 yards further up the pitch , FF Fletcher Rhodes/Hooper Boyd across the pitch should be enough to get a result against any team in this division IF we take the game to them. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

True.

It's a good job Carlos has finished in a higher league finish year on year in that case

Fully justifying the outlay

Indeed, failing twice in the play offs, playing some of the worst football I've seen in 20 years is worth every penny.

It's his incredible use of our attacking talent which must please the Chairman the most.

Carlos is a very special talent, and probably one of the most offensively astute coaches in Europe.

Edited by Mr Farrell

Personally I think Abdi needs to be thrown into the fold (when fit) Bannan needs to be dropped. Don't think I can watch Pudil and Hunt any longer myself, they are really poor and go no bottle whatsoever!

Fernando needs to go on the left, that's pretty clear to see. He worked his testicles of yesterday and was the only who seemed interested, apart from when Hooper n Wallace came on, they looked lively at times.

The middle of the park yesterday was embarrassing, it completely by bypassed them. I know it was getting launched but we never won a 50/50 and when we finally got the ball, we didn't get it down and play.

Getting pretty sick of it now. And for these  people fighting with each other in the stands, give your heads a wobble.

To be restructuring at this stage is inexcusable 

Both chansiri and Carlos are at fault

If I was chairman Carlos would have gone after the Huddersfield game and a new manager lined up for a full pre season

Still amazed this didn't happen.

2 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

I agree with your second paragraph and I have been saying the same things on this forum for a while.  We now have an imbalanced squad with no pace or physicality in key areas.  Furthermore, our current crop of centre midfielders are more suited to playing in a midfield 3, however he is unlikely to change as this would result in playing 1 up front and we have 6 front line strikers on our books.

I think we have got major problems on our hands with a lot of players on our books earning vast amounts of money with a lot of them over 30 with little resale value.  I also think if we want to play a change of system for the longer term to accommodate 3 centre midfielders and only play 1 up front, we need to get rid of 2 to 3 strikers and it also brings into question the signing of Jordan Rhodes.  If we keep with 4-4-2, I also think that the midfield needs totally revamping to bring in some pace on the wings and some physicality in the middle. Brighton had this with Kayal and Stephens in the middle and pace with Knock1aert on the wing. That's how you play 4-4-2.

I am genuinely concerned with our recruitment and how we are looking right now.  Finishing 4th last season with 81 points papered over the cracks for me - I thought we had our fair share of luck last season, excluding Derby away as well as playing a turgid, negative and pragmatic philosophy.

we need a cb, a wide man with pace and maybe a midfield general .

a cb like djourou with a bit of pace and can move with the ball, loovens takes that long that the other team always have players back in position before he decides what he wants to do with the ball. 

4 minutes ago, horny owl said:

To be restructuring at this stage is inexcusable 

Both chansiri and Carlos are at fault

If I was chairman Carlos would have gone after the Huddersfield game and a new manager lined up for a full pre season

Still amazed this didn't happen.

Thats what we should have done but what do we do about it now. 

Is it too late or do we bite the bullet and get rid asap. If we are going to do it it's got be be while the window is still open. 

I'd get Fletcher, Nuhiu and one of Winnal or Joao gone and replace them with a CB CM and a winger with pace.

The simple solution is to tell Loovens as captain to start marshalling the rest of the defence. When Westwood gets the ball in his hands or for a goal kick Loovens should shout "get the flip out lads" and he and lees sprint like Bolt towards halfway taking the full backs with them so bannan and hutch then have to push forwards 25 yards and play actually in midfield - simple 

1 minute ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

we need a cb, a wide man with pace and maybe a midfield general .

a cb like djourou with a bit of pace and can move with the ball, loovens takes that long that the other team always have players back in position before he decides what he wants to do with the ball. 

The whole team are the blame for being too slow. Infact Westwood is the worst culrpit. It takes him about 3 minutes to take a goal kick.

Just now, northeastowl said:

The whole team are the blame for being too slow. Infact Westwood is the worst culrpit. It takes him about 3 minutes to take a goal kick.

Maybe but westwood generally does that when we are under pressure to give us a minute to try to re-group ! For me loovens is the worst for it