Team v QPR (forget Chessie)

442 does not get all our best players on the field at the same time. It also if Hutch plays midfield, leaves the opposition to just sit on Bannan, completely stuffing us.

Our full backs offer us nothing, and  for me 352 is the only way forward. It gives us an extra body in midfield, allows Hutch to play in his best position, whilst also allowing him to be the forward thinking of the 3 x CB's, who can bring the ball out, stopping our midfield from dropping back to collect the ball of the CB.

Westwood

Hutch Lees Loovens

Boyd Lee Abdi Bannan FF

Hooper Rhodes/Fletcher

or a slight variation being -:

Boyd Lee Abdi Reach

FF

Hooper Fletcher/Rhodes

4231 tho boyd may make it 4321, let matias n ff imitate di canio, carbone booth a bitlol

Wwood

Hunt lees loovy reach

hutch Bannan

Boyd  Matias fessi

Rhodes

When lee fit would play hutch cb

On 05/08/2017 at 22:15, Holmowl said:

One game in and so many already going for lone striker line-ups. Despite only Fletch being remotely suited to it.

Westy

Hunt

Loovens

Lees

Reach (really is he worse than Pudil?)

Boyd

Lee

Bannan (we absolutely do not need Hutch or any CDM v QPR)

FF

Hooper

Rhodes

I would now pull FF out of the squad and play Wallace and Boyd as our two wingers.

Westwood

Hunt-Lees-new-new

Lee-Hutchinson-Bannan 

Forestieri

Rhodes-Fletcher.

Obvious we need a new CB, but Hutch could be that man, and we could instead get in a new CM dominator. 

We also need a new LB. Pudil's legs have gone, Fox doesn't have the quality going forward, Reach isn't a left back and Penney, though an excellent prospect,  is inexperienced. 

When I last checked, I thought I found that Reach has played almost a third of his games at left back.

I'd rather see him there, with at least a little bit of pace to recover from mistakes, than Pudil.  Either that or Hutchinson there.  Hunt was atrocious last game, but at least he has his legs.

FF still needs to be out there. So stick him central in an attacking mid role and have Abdi and Lee move through that position with him.

Westwood.

Hunt. Loovens. Lees.  Reach.

Boyd.  Bannan.  Wallace.

FF.

Hooper.  Rhodes.

Edited by Indoor Owl

4-3-3

Westwood

Hunt      Lees         Loovens        Pudil

Hutchinson

Abdi                    Lee

Boyd/Wallace                   Forestieri

Hooper/Rhodes

Westwood 

Hutchinson  Lees   Loovens    Reach 

Jones   

Boyd                     Bannan

Forestieri 

Hooper          Fletcher 

On 05/08/2017 at 18:07, Royal_D said:

Reyt winding me up this ...   Rhodes is proven to be one of the best strikers in this division ! 

Been given scraps to feed off 

his strike rate speaks for itself.give him the chances he will bag 20 in a season 

6 hours ago, HillsborOwl said:

After tonight, I would go for:

Westwood

Hutch (assuming Hunt is injured after tonight)

Lees

Loovens

Reach

Wallace

Jones

Bannan

FF

Hooper

Fletcher/Rhodes

(Bench: Dawson, Fox, Pudil, Abdi, Lee, Rhodes/Fletcher, Winnall)

Terrific team, whether Hunt or Hutch play RB.

Boyd might feel a bit miffed to be 19th choice already though mate!

If I see that team-sheet at 2.15 on Saturday I will smile from ear to ear and feel 25 years younger.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Westwood 

Jones   

Forestieri 

Hooper          Fletcher 

This, please! 

The problem is simple but a difficult one to solve

We simply have to play a formation that gives us more players in central midfield.

On Saturday we played two in there and were never at the races, last night we played 4 in the centre and we played some proper football albeit against weaker opposition . The width coming from the full backs

We will never  progress playing 442 with two wide players like we tried to at Preston, we simply don't have the midfield two.

It is nothing to do with attacking intent from the manager. You can only attack if you have the ball, playing two in the centre just doesn't give us enough possession.

I have no idea how he will try and solve the problem on Saturday.

I would rather see a diamond than 442 . 

46 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

We will never  progress playing 442 with two wide players like we tried to at Preston, we simply don't have the midfield two.

Yes we don't have the wide players to play 442 either.  I've said before that I don't think many managers would come to our club and think he's got a squad to play 442. In fact I suspect Carlos wasn't wanted by Southampton as they play 433 and he only wants to play 442!

Either we need (needed) to sign a wide player with pace and creativity to play 442, or we needed to change the system in the summer. Neither have happened (apart from last night) and until it does I can't see us making the next step any time soon 

Edited by Southie_Owl

Hutchinson at right back may be forced upon us, but could be a good thing. I think this is one of our weaker positions and Hutch started life as a RB. Allows Jones to play holding role in midfield, gives us more height at the back and would also allow a little more freedom for an Abdi/FF role further forward.

On 05/08/2017 at 18:01, Fibonacci91 said:

We have literally barely created a chance for him in the 6 months he's been here...literally.

You could probably count them on one hand. 

Been reading this a lot. Basically people are too afraid to flat out admit that Rhodes isn't the golden boy everyone thought he was going to be. 

Go back and watch the 4-4 draw with Huddersfield, Rhodes basically runs the show on his own, but he needs someone to hold his hand and land the ball on his toe for him to be effective here?  

Edited by Tommo_

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

The problem is simple but a difficult one to solve

We simply have to play a formation that gives us more players in central midfield.

On Saturday we played two in there and were never at the races, last night we played 4 in the centre and we played some proper football albeit against weaker opposition . The width coming from the full backs

It is nothing to do with attacking intent from the manager. You can only attack if you have the ball, playing two in the centre just doesn't give us enough possession.

I have no idea how he will try and solve the problem on Saturday.

I would rather see a diamond than 442 . 

Why?

Top over the last 28 games.

Top over the last 25 games.

Why will two in the middle not work, when it does?

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Why?

Top over the last 28 games.

Top over the last 25 games.

Why will two in the middle not work, when it does?

We didn't play two wide players last season. When Reach and Wallace play , Reach stays wide while Wallace comes inside like Bannan does when he plays nominally as a wide man

Do you watch what is happening on the pitch or do you just look at the team sheet.

Anyway that struggles to work when teams press us back, we get outnumbered in the middle.

We have been awful at times in both seasons under Carlos trying to play 442. We have players capable of doing a lot better.

8 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Westwood 

Jones   

Forestieri 

Hooper          Fletcher 

This won't be far off what it is.

Without ball.

Westwood

Hutchinson Lees Loovens Reach 

Boyd  Jones  Bannan  Forestieri