Djourou DEAL OFF!!

Personally if true and it's about his demands for better contracts I'm actually happy with him for doing it. Look at Emanuelson that was pointless taking him paying him wasted a year of his career. Djourou covering his backside think he being quite smart in all honesty this way we might see more of him too :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Basically says we will offer him 30k a week and a 3 year deal

Again, a long contract on high wages for a player past his best with an injury record.

What's motivating this guy? Does he want to come here to progress his career and see the club progress or is it his own security and pension?

Not having a go at him personally as we'd all do the same if we were in his position.

But for me is the wrong approach from the club. 

Guest wilyfox

So, we stall all week...and then give in? Wow, good business. If he's too dear, he's too dear. Chansiri must be more decisive. Hesitance breeds doubt. 

8 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

So, we stall all week...and then give in? Wow, good business. If he's too dear, he's too dear. Chansiri must be more decisive. Hesitance breeds doubt. 

Hesitance off the pitch does effect on the pitch not finding excuses but it's right

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

Hesitance off the pitch does effect on the pitch not finding excuses but it's right

Leadership from the top down. Everything has been too slow and uncertain this summer, from the kit to recruitment. The supposed list of 200 centre-backs is a farce, the definition of scattergun. Emphasis was placed on the importance of a good start this season. All we've done is compromise it...again. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

Leadership from the top down. Everything has been too slow and uncertain this summer, from the kit to recruitment. The supposed list of 200 centre-backs is a farce, the definition of scattergun. Emphasis was placed on the importance of a good start this season. All we've done is compromise it...again. 

Agreed but I do believe too soon to be jumping down CC back he came out after game and admitted we were cr@p he said they didn't follow our plan. So either backlash from players or just a bad start? Can't blame CC unles he has lost the dressing room but if that was true surely that would have been resurrected over summer with CC possibly leaving?

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

Agreed but I do believe too soon to be jumping down CC back he came out after game and admitted we were cr@p he said they didn't follow our plan. So either backlash from players or just a bad start? Can't blame CC unles he has lost the dressing room but if that was true surely that would have been resurrected over summer with CC possibly leaving?

3 signings could transform us. Can we afford? Would Carlos choose the right type, or just sign more of the same to suit his stubborn philosophy? He seems blinkered to me. 

2 minutes ago, Kevan said:

£30k per week for 3 years for a 30 year old sounds a hell of a lot of money to me.  If that is the deal, he better be as good as Des Walker!

He is a centre back though. 

Being 30 isn't quite such an issue in that position imo. 

Just now, SiJ said:

He is a centre back though. 

Being 30 isn't quite such an issue in that position imo. 

I agree to some extent, but will he still be fit and fast enough by the time he's 33?  If he's an intelligent player who reads the game well, it may not be a problem even at that age...... time will tell.

Guest wilyfox

Same age Glenn Loovens was when he signed for us. 2-3yrs should be fine for Djourou. Most centre-halves are still playing a good standard into their mid-30s these days, barring injuries you can't legislate for. 

41 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

3 signings could transform us. Can we afford? Would Carlos choose the right type, or just sign more of the same to suit his stubborn philosophy? He seems blinkered to me. 

If he did what he said he would with FF on left and I'd choose Reach LB then I recon that would solve abit with 2 championship prolific strikers in Rhodes and hooper upfront I think that would be a good start. But he seems to have changed from that already. We all know we need more CB so I'd if djourou signs leave it at that and put Hutch backup at CB or CDM then buy someone Pacey/ strong for midfield.

Sheffield Wednesday could still yet sign defender Johan Djourou, according to today’s print edition of the Sun.

The deal for the 30-year-old seemed to be dead in the water yesterday, with the Owls failing to meet the demands of the former Arsenal defender.

However, it now appears that Wednesday could be set to offer the Swiss international defender £30k a week to ensure they complete a deal for Djourou following yesterdays miserable 1-0 defeat to Preston North End at Deepdale.

1 hour ago, Lomas613 said:

If he did what he said he would with FF on left and I'd choose Reach LB then I recon that would solve abit with 2 championship prolific strikers in Rhodes and hooper upfront I think that would be a good start. But he seems to have changed from that already. We all know we need more CB so I'd if djourou signs leave it at that and put Hutch backup at CB or CDM then buy someone Pacey/ strong for midfield.

Fans can argue about this player and that player, but one thing is certain. If Carlos believes that pragmatism is the way to get out of this league for a non-parachute club - and I tend to agree - then we need players suited to that style. We need big, strong lads out there, not tiddlers like Baz.