Evolution of the West Stand

21 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

It's never been attached to the South. I think it's just a consequence of the angle from which the pic is taken which makes it look like one roof when in reality they've always been separate. 

Here's how it looked in the early 1980s.   They put the seats in for the World Cup  - before it was terracing - my Dad said when he was a lad in the 1950s you could walk from Kop to Lepp and swap ends depending on which way Wednesday were kicking.

ss02_zps8cc41817.jpg

4 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

The sad pigs are taking the yellow stuff out of us on the Sheffield Star page on FB

looking at them and looking at us, that must be quite difficult to do. bet they are being ultra selective on their topics? 

older, bigger, better

2 hours ago, Rogers said:

Knock down and start again would be easier maybe. Make it the home end and give the kop to the away fans.  Controversial 

Build a super stand linking with the south and north with concourses, eateries, etc.  all home fans access via the park side and tram stop. 

Away fans in buses that drop off. On Penistone Road

or just move and build a new

stadium 

Or not 

:columbo:

Very, very good idea

2 hours ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

Plus we could have electric seats in the away end, when we score the fans get a bit of a shock and have to stand up. And when we play the pigs when we sing "if your not f**king bouncing you a blade" we give a lot of small electric shocks, enabling them to bounce too.  Inclusive see.

Id prefer 1400v i love the smell of bacon lol

1 hour ago, dunsbyowl said:

Here's how it looked in the early 1980s.   They put the seats in for the World Cup  - before it was terracing - my Dad said when he was a lad in the 1950s you could walk from Kop to Lepp and swap ends depending on which way Wednesday were kicking.

ss02_zps8cc41817.jpg

That's true. You could walk behind the old wooden north stand to change ends. I did it loads of times.  Summer 1960 that all changed.  

21 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

That's true. You could walk behind the old wooden north stand to change ends. I did it loads of times.  Summer 1960 that all changed.  

Was it free to do that? I've sen some old photo's where you had to pay a "transfer" fee at some grounds?

4 hours ago, Rogers said:

Knock down and start again would be easier maybe. Make it the home end and give the kop to the away fans.  Controversial 

Build a super stand linking with the south and north with concourses, eateries, etc.  all home fans access via the park side and tram stop. 

Away fans in buses that drop off. On Penistone Road

or just move and build a new

stadium 

Or not 

:columbo:

Not.

Giving the Kop to the away fans is one of the stupidest things I've herad

4 hours ago, HOSTAGE IN PYONGYANG said:

A new cantilever all the way round to join the south stand. Which we should have had in the 1960s.

It was planned ..sadly never realised.

The stand looks tired and old ( always did ..a compromise stand imo) and will always be associated with the Disaster.

Bulldoze asap and replace with something that fits with either the South or North Stand.

1 hour ago, Finlux_Cup said:

What? giving the whole of the Kop to away fans?   

Kop also needs rebuilding - also showing its age as epitomised by the struts that hold up the roof.  Dated.

People bang on about charm etc but we are beyond all that tbh - the team has moved forwards, the ground needs to do the same

South and North still look good and are fit for modern day footy.  The other two need demolishing and a rebuild to fit with either the North or South.

Either that or move..it's as simple as that IMO

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

6 hours ago, onslow said:

Why not just reprofile the seating on the lower tier to make it one complete tier.

The segregation issues could then be resolved easily by netting over seats like other clubs do to flex the allocations.

I think those (sadly shelved) World Cup 2018 plans reprofiled the lower tier to match and then added a 2nd tier above that

Those images looked fantastic too

I hope there's still a chance of them, or something similar, becoming reality

I'd also prefer to see that two-tier design extended round to include the NW Corner, specifically to accommodate those 2,000 visiting supporters

... leaving the rest of the 'new' West Stand for home use