Steering Group Meeting Summary

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

You sometimes have to accept we play below par  and are not going to win every game - the shame was it was in the play offs.

I know - it was just a reference to the fact that it wasn't other teams sitting back that  cost us. 

34 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I would imagine by identifying the kit supplier as the company that do the stuff for Mercedes - he may have potentially opened up a reyt can of worms by suggesting they reneged on a contract

If they did then they need outing. Tried to shaft us after a deal/ handshake was agreed, shoddy business principles

24 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

I know you're getting on a bit Nev, but surely you can't remember our 1st 24 years?

Nobody knows what we wore until 1875, so you've no idea if we wore stripes.

We've had them for the majority of our 150 years.

It's our tradition.

Now we seem to have no real identity.

Just blue and white, in no particular pattern.

Do you have a Royal and White striped shirt ? If so wear it, but wear it with pride it maybe part of our tradition. But to suggest we have no identity is a disgrace. I suggest you get some serious reading in on the clubs history. A starting point would be 'The Romance of the Wednesday' R.A. Sparling ISBN 1-874287-17-1. Then tell me again how we have no identity.   

4 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Do you have a Royal and White striped shirt ? If so wear it, but wear it with pride it maybe part of our tradition. But to suggest we have no identity is a disgrace. I suggest you get some serious reading in on the clubs history. A starting point would be 'The Romance of the Wednesday' R.A. Sparling ISBN 1-874287-17-1. Then tell me again how we have no identity.   

Yes I have a fair few shirts, including a lovely 80s Umbro style retro one, which is my favorite, and instantly identifiable as Sheffield Wednesday, unlike the current one, and last years which could quite easily pass as Ipswitch shirts by Toffs.

5 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Yes I have a fair few shirts, including a lovely 80s Umbro style retro one, which is my favorite, and instantly identifiable as Sheffield Wednesday, unlike the current one, and last years which could quite easily pass as Ipswitch shirts by Toffs.

IYO so subjective, I love most not all of them, they are all part and parcel of our identity.  

Not really sure how anyone can say that blue and white shirts isn't Wednesday's tradition. Even if we didn't wear them for our first 23 years. Traditions can be started whenever, they don't have to be from the 19th century. Traditional =/= original

I'll back this up. Leeds traditional colours are?

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

1 hour ago, Donny.Owl said:

I know you're getting on a bit Nev, but surely you can't remember our 1st 24 years?

Nobody knows what we wore until 1875, so you've no idea if we wore stripes.

We've had them for the majority of our 150 years.

It's our tradition.

Now we seem to have no real identity.

Just blue and white, in no particular pattern.

Just to back up Nev a little, the first recorded instance of football shirts with vertical stripes was not until 1883.

So its very unlikely we wore vertical stripped shirts before 1890.

Especially as vertical stripped shirts (or jerseys as they were then) were more expensive to produce!

Just now, cactus said:

Just to back up Nev a little, the first recorded instance of football shirts with vertical stripes was not until 1883.

So its very unlikely we wore vertical stripped shirts before 1890.

Especially as vertical stripped shirts (or jerseys as they were then) were more expensive to produce!

Well you still don't know for certain, we might have led the way?

lol

Not that it matters one jot, our tradition became blue and white stripes. That was the main point.

9 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Not really sure how anyone can say that blue and white shirts isn't Wednesday's tradition. Even if we didn't wear them for our first 23 years. Traditions can be started whenever, they don't have to be from the 19th century. Traditional =/= original

I'll back this up. Leeds traditional colours are?

Yellow & blue?lol

The point is, vitually every club has changed their kit design & colours over the years. 

What kit is classed as the traditional one, relates to the timespan you choose you to view. Leeds fans prior to  the 1970's would have said their traditional colours were yellow & blue.

5 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Finally, Fulham tickets will have gone before I apply.  I have st don't have enough points. Can someone tell me if they still allow pay on the gate in the mixed stand. 

I read somewhere (??) that the last time we played them was all ticket and no pay on the gate, so I bought mine 2 weeks ago from the Fulham website. It didn't really identify which stand was the 'mixed stand' on their website so I chose the section next to the away fans. There were loads of seats to pick from - I took that as an indication that it wasn't going to be full of Fulham fans but I guess we'll find out.

11 minutes ago, cactus said:

The point is, vitually every club has changed their kit design & colours over the years. 

What kit is classed as the traditional one, relates to the timespan you choose you to view. Leeds fans prior to  the 1970's would have said their traditional colours were yellow & blue.

That is my point too, teams change kits all the time so traditional designs are not always the original colours. Think everyone will say man Utd traditionally wear red white and black yet they started in yellow and green halves and under a different name too. Like I said traditions do not have to span centuries.

Even if you grew up during the 60s our traditional kit has always been blue and white stripes. 

Why in 2000 when they took the stripes off only the back and there was a massive out cry of give our stripes back and now they have totally removed the them on here so many don't care. For me it call in to question what people will. Let go while things are good. In years to come the last two years will be seen as a turning point yes but also unfortunately also as two failed attempts at promotion. Just like any other team. Whereas our kit is our identity and stripes not solid colour. Mr Chansiri deserves no abuse but he is being allowed to change our identity. Money is why. If we simply do nothing then stripes will be gone forever. Too many on hear seem complisit in this which makes me wonder if all are real supporters or some are on hear simply to curb anyone questioning Mr Chansiri. I make no excuses for anyone being abusiv e. There is no place for that.