With guys like Hooper and Rhodes up front we need some pace [ winger ? ] to get to the by-line and pull the ball back into the box .That's where their strengths lie . We dont do that ,so it's no wonder our hot shot forwards dont score - they rarely get the ball ! The alternative to that is through balls to forwards making runs through the channels , but because the forwards dont have pace they rarely get to the ball first and apart from FF dont have much in terms of creativity. The other factor in all this is Loovens . Is it some kind of Club dictate that we role the ball out to him from the keeper at all times so that he can roll it to Lees who can then roll it to Bannon who is now sitting in line with his own back four and taking an age ? Crikey , I could play a game like that without breaking sweat even at my age . We've got to move the ball quicker to get anywhere near the standards of the last two seasons .

3 hours ago, Big Jack said:

Plenty of players around with pace im the game, however pace with no end product is a waste of time. Those with both cost a fortune and mostly play in the premier.

We've wasted so much money on players that never get (or got) a look in. I'm sure we could have found one player with pace and decent ability to play in the second tier of English football for all the money we've pissed away. It's beyond belief that we have not got one genuine pace outlet in the first team, look at the size of the squad and look at their attributes - we are overloaded with players who offer the same things. A side needs balance, ours is full of technically good but one paced players.

Edited by Walt

Fernando is one of the best at beating a man in the league

Reach has pace

Hunt has pace

Lee has pace

Matias has pace

Even Bannan has pace

Wallace doesn't need pace to be dangerous

Though in fairness I'd still like someone in the squad up front who is rapid as an option - Joao is that option but I feel he'll not keep his place in the squad.

Edited by davey_wells

10 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Fernando is one of the best at beating a man in the league

Reach has pace

Hunt has pace

Lee has pace

Matias has pace

Even Bannan has pace

Wallace doesn't need pace to be dangerous

Though in fairness I'd still like someone in the squad up front who is rapid as an option - Joao is that option but I feel he'll not keep his place in the squad.

I find this astounding, how can people watch us and then compile a list like the above. What are they watching? Hunt is nippy I'll give you that but come on pace means players like JJ, Antonio and Vardy etc...

If Bannan has pace I give in.

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

I find this astounding, how can people watch us and then compile a list like the above. What are they watching? Hunt is nippy I'll give you that but come on pace means players like JJ, Antonio and Vardy etc...

If Bannan has pace I give in.

I had more pace than Wallace for Firth Park Rangers...but he doesn't need it you are right...sometimes the player standing still is the one the ball comes to lol 

4 hours ago, EveryWednesday said:

Serious question though, if JJ was in his prime would you actually take this guy back? 

He'd definitely add something we don't have lol

He only turned it on when his contract was due to run out lol

Our best option to get a cheap, quick fix for a rapid winger with a couple of tricks, imo, would be a loan from a top 4/5 Prem club. Ryan Kent from Liverpool was on loan at Barnsley last season and played 44 games. 2 good feet, pace, good crosser and not afraid to take someone on as he has the 20 year old youthful exuberance. Izzy Brown is another example. Both of these players looked good at hillsborough last season. 

None of this matters as I don't think we will go down this route, as it just doesn't seem to be the direction CC wants to go in, but I think this is the most realistic way of getting an effective pacey wide man in the squad. Buying the next Knockeart/Antonio would cost £15m or above in this market and we are probably behind several other clubs in being able to attract this calibre of player (for now). 

I think that even if we signed a flamboyant pace merchant who could carry a ball 60 yards and push a team back, CC would not play them. I just can't envisage him going with anything other than 4 out of Wallace, bannan, Lee, Jones, hutch, reach, in one form or another. All of these are quality players in their own right, but we need another option now. Probably more than one actually.