41 minutes ago, well endowed owl said:

Sally we are going into the season still not having addresses a few positions on the pitch, a shambles. You will no doubt still have the CC brigade saying chill and it will be alright not a chance same old same old

Yes it's a proper shambles going into a season  with exactly the same squad from the previous season that finished 4th and with the addition of George Boyd and the returning Kieran Lee and Almen Abdi. 

Just now, mark1948 said:

How do you know this Sally? Have you had a chat with Carlos and did he say "I Don't like too much the player with the fast speed."

The fact that he'd rather put Abdi/Bannan out wide than an actual winger with pace (Buckley, McManaman?). He likes wingers who work hard and can cut in, not one with real pace like we've had in the past with Helan, JJ, Antonio. Think it's a valuable option to have in the side- especially in the last 20 minutes of games gives the opposition something else to think about. Huddersfield did it in the play offs, bought that quick lad on who tore Pudil a new one, got them back in the game.

Just now, s29wfc said:

Yes it's a proper shambles going into a season  with exactly the same squad from the previous season that finished 4th and with the addition of George Boyd and the returning Kieran Lee and Almen Abdi. 

Holding my breath on Abdi but hoping that he can make a big impact this season, still cant work out if its CC who is reluctant to play him or he is injury prone.

Just now, AwokenGiant said:

But, this was about how other teams set-up against and not about a lack of pace.  

Because they knew they could sit back because of our lack of pace - it's not rocket science. We don't have much pace at the back either so did the same. With the likes of Bannan, Hutchinson and Jones so close to our back four meant the opposition midfield always looked to have more of the ball than they should, especially when we were at home. When we had the ball for long periods it was in non threatening areas of the pitch. A bit of pace can get us that extra 20 yards further upfield to open up different attacking options.

I'm fairly confident about going into the season, but over the whole season when we come up against teams who are going to sit back and be tough, or those games you need a spark then I'm worried.

For me, to be in the top two you need a variety of options - of course have the style of play that you want to adhere to but what about Plan B, C etc? What happens when teams figure us out?

Should be a manager me 

:star:

2 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

Because they knew they could sit back because of our lack of pace - it's not rocket science. We don't have much pace at the back either so did the same. With the likes of Bannan, Hutchinson and Jones so close to our back four meant the opposition midfield always looked to have more of the ball than they should, especially when we were at home. When we had the ball for long periods it was in non threatening areas of the pitch. A bit of pace can get us that extra 20 yards further upfield to open up different attacking options.

Yeah, but teams sat back and we still accumulated more points than the previous season, so WHY such a big emphasis on bringing in pace? 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The fact that he'd rather put Abdi/Bannan out wide than an actual winger with pace (Buckley, McManaman?). He likes wingers who work hard and can cut in, not one with real pace like we've had in the past with Helan, JJ, Antonio. Think it's a valuable option to have in the side- especially in the last 20 minutes of games gives the opposition something else to think about. Huddersfield did it in the play offs, bought that quick lad on who tore Pudil a new one, got them back in the game.

Whislt it's certainly true about the Huddersfield Lad v Pudil, I don't think that Carlos is anti pace Bannan is no slouch and Reach is no slouch and neither is Wallace. He seems to prefer wingers who can play both inside and outside and when they come inside he uses the full backs to overlap on the outside.

7 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

Whislt it's certainly true about the Huddersfield Lad v Pudil, I don't think that Carlos is anti pace Bannan is no slouch and Reach is no slouch and neither is Wallace. He seems to prefer wingers who can play both inside and outside and when they come inside he uses the full backs to overlap on the outside.

Come off it Wallace, Bannan and Reach are hardly the quickest in the world. 

Fullbacks overlapping? Nice idea but our fullbacks are incapable of putting a decent cross in. Hunt hits about 3 good crosses out 30 all season.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Come off it Wallace, Bannan and Reach are hardly the quickest in the world. 

I didn't say they were but they have sufficient, Hunt and Palmer are also quick enough to support a fast attack. The problem is not that we don't have individuals with pace it's that we don't move as a team with pace for the most part. This I think is down to playing as most teams in this league do, that is to defend, defend, defend, nick a goal then Defend, Defend, Defend again.

You look at the exceptions to this approach Fulham and Norwich, they took hammerings against the better "Tight" teams. Although we lost to Fulham I am of the opinion that we would have beaten them with our best available team out.

Nice debate... Thanks I've got to go now though. Cheers.

39 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Just because you have the same squad it doesn't entitle you to another top 6 finish, as for lee i think he has a problem with the hip again, abdi hasn't had a chance so how do you know what is going to happen, i love blind faith and fans who cant see the wood for the trees

25 minutes ago, well endowed owl said:

Just because you have the same squad it doesn't entitle you to another top 6 finish, as for lee i think he has a problem with the hip again, abdi hasn't had a chance so how do you know what is going to happen, i love blind faith and fans who cant see the wood for the trees

Brighton didn't add many to their squad last season and up they went. It cuts both ways lets see how we do.

Wouldn't turn down a pact wide player. But they need to be quality. No sense having another JJ

What I would say however is that the standard defensive tactic against a team with pace is to drop deep which is what teams are doing against us anyway and that's when we struggle. 

And every time Westwood gets the ball in his hands he'll kick it long to FF and that seems to work ok with the current team. 

I'd like to see us playing a more slightly varied style. Invariably it's width from full backs and never from the midfield and then playing in front of the other side. Very rarely do you see the midfielders between the 18 yard box and byline. I'd love to see the pitch maps for the wide players to (dis)prove this.  

Obviously it's harder than that because teams do try to counter your tactics and don't just let you dictate the game. It's up to Carlos to figure out how to find that balance. Team is generally ok (cover for the defenders non withstanding) but time for Carlos to get it right