If it were me!

Given the current squad, I'd go the set up below. My preferred would be 3-5-2, but we don't have enough centre backs to play that!

Bannan would compete with Abdi, Jones covers Hutchinson, Boyd would compete with Lee, Fletcher competes with Rhodes, Winnall/Matias/Wallace/Joao cover Forestieri/Hooper, and the defence sorts itself at present.

lineup.jpg

Should have said Forestieri will roam - free to do whatever he likes. Hooper links the midfield and Rhodes/Forestieri in that third of the field. Abdi keeps possession/picks out the forward pass, Lee box-to-box, and Hutchinson stays deep.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

1 hour ago, hirstysboots said:

I know Carlos won't, and I love the man and respect his judgement,  but I'd go 3 at the back. Back three would free up those positions that seem to cause us the most problems such as RB, CB, CM - and allows the coach to pick his best players. 

Westy
          Lees      Loovens    Hutch
Boyd   Lee   Abdi/Jones  Bannan  Reach 
             Rhodes.     Fessi 

The team has trouble defending the box with four at the back, I wouldn't want to see it with just three.

4-4-1-1

Westwood

Hunt    Lees     Hutch     Reach

Boyd/Wallace     Lee     Bannan      FF

Abdi/Hooper

Rhodes/Hooper/Joao

Abdi in the middle and forward, Hooper can play that too because he's pretty well suited to be dropping back almost as a false 9 doing the link up play,

Rhodes primarily up top but you can play Hooper and Joao there too (sell Winnall and Fletcher).

Edited by Indoor Owl

1 hour ago, hirstysboots said:

I know Carlos won't, and I love the man and respect his judgement,  but I'd go 3 at the back. Back three would free up those positions that seem to cause us the most problems such as RB, CB, CM - and allows the coach to pick his best players. 

Westy
          Lees      Loovens    Hutch
Boyd   Lee   Abdi/Jones  Bannan  Reach 
             Rhodes.     Fessi 

Westy???

Does Westwood play for the pigs now?

15 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Given the current squad, I'd go the set up below. My preferred would be 3-5-2, but we don't have enough centre backs to play that!

Bannan would compete with Abdi, Jones covers Hutchinson, Boyd would compete with Lee, Fletcher competes with Rhodes, Winnall/Matias/Wallace/Joao cover Forestieri/Hooper, and the defence sorts itself at present.

lineup.jpg

Should have said Forestieri will roam - free to do whatever he likes. Hooper links the midfield and Rhodes/Forestieri in that third of the field. Abdi keeps possession/picks out the forward pass, Lee box-to-box, and Hutchinson stays deep.

Any formation without Bannan is a non-starter, in my opinion:  By far the best player we have in a traditional midfield role.  Lee and Abdi are more offensive, and Hutchinson can win the ball, but none of them have any comparable ability in ball retention or distribution from midfield.  Bannan deeper with Lee and Abdi would be an interesting 4-3-3 though.

Either that or have Abdi and Hooper rotating through that postition (but Abdi does not like playing outside the middle) with Hutchinson, Bannan, and Lee in midfield.

Edited by Indoor Owl

3 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Any formation without Bannan is a non-starter, in my opinion:  By far the best player we have in a traditional midfield role.  Lee and Abdi are more offensive, and Hutchinson can win the ball, but none of them have the retention or distribution.  Bannan deeper with Lee and Abdi would be an interesting 4-3-3 though

To be honest, it was a close run thing between Bannan and Abdi. I chose Abdi on the fact he doesn't naturally drop deep like Bannan does. For us to allow Forestieri to roam, players need to keep the shape and remain disciplined - not sure that is Bazza's strength. I also think Abdi offers ball retention and distribution - we just ain't seen it for Wednesday yet!

Think a midfield 3 of Bannan, Lee and Abdi doesn't offer enough presence to break up opposition attacks, though it would be excellent from an attacking perspective.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Abdi can put in a defensive shift, if he was the hybrid of Jones and Bannan that I think he might be this would be our best side Imo. Bloody 'ell. I'd be scared to death as the opposition looking at this team sheet:

Westwood

Hunt        Lees    Loovens      Reach

Boyd           Lee       Abdi           FF

Rhodes      Hooper

58 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

Great FIFA team. Reckon this would be plucked like a Xmas Turkey in real life.

3-4-3 seems to be the new system the top clubs are using. Maybe Boyd is too attacking to play right wing back, but it suits Reach. 3 solid centre halves and Diame providing the muscle in central midfield.

If anything, its more defensive when we are defending, assuming those players can play that system correctly.

I would but I'd play it different. Lees would be the centre of the three. He has to play the least football there he can solely concentrate on defending... he only has to pass it 5-10 yards each way.

Id also play 2 behind one as Chelsea do to allow our best players the freedom to create (Forestieri Matias Boyd 2 from 3)

so...

Westwood

Loovens Lees New

Lee Hutchinson Abdi Reach

Forestieri Matias

Hooper

5 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Any formation without Bannan is a non-starter, in my opinion:  By far the best player we have in a traditional midfield role.  Lee and Abdi are more offensive, and Hutchinson can win the ball, but none of them have any comparable ability in ball retention or distribution from midfield.  Bannan deeper with Lee and Abdi would be an interesting 4-3-3 though.

Either that or have Abdi and Hooper rotating through that postition (but Abdi does not like playing outside the middle) with Hutchinson, Bannan, and Lee in midfield.

Any formation with Bannan is a non starter for me he's the biggest problem

we have 

9 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

lineup.jpg

That looks more 433 than 352 tbh