Hirst v Rangers

Guest Deleted member

5 hours ago, malek said:

Hirst will play for U-23's.

Say whatever you want, but in my opinion it is job of club's manager to bring youth through and develop them.

There is absolutly no way that only objective put in front of Carlos should be to get us promoted.

Not to be missunderstood, result is by far most important, but it is not the only target that should be put infront of manager. Any manager.

I agree, if not for the clubs sake, but the kids themselves.

How many really ralented kids careers are and have been wasted at the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea ect.

Ofcourse success is paramount, but it shouldnt be at the detriment of developing the kids.

On 28/07/2017 at 12:48, Grandad said:

Would love to see the lad start the game... Surely with his scoring boots on at his current level hes due a chance?

Championship is a different level, cc would know if he was ready.

34 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

I agree, if not for the clubs sake, but the kids themselves.

How many really ralented kids careers are and have been wasted at the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea ect.

Ofcourse success is paramount, but it shouldnt be at the detriment of developing the kids.

People have got to stop with this myth that kids who go to Chelsea and City somehow ended up wasting their potential

They have the best youth development systems in the country other than Saints

Football is a business that relies on the first team being successful - its not a charity to develop careers for young players

Virtually nobody gives an absolute shyte about development football

A little (true) story - Mickey Adams was boss at Port Vale. Due to injuries they had to promote a young centre back to the first team. The youngster did well but made a mistake which led to the goal that meant a 1-0 loss for Vale.

After the match Adams was being interviewed and when told a good positive was the strong performance from the young CB he replied "he cost us the game - he does that 4 more times and i lose my job"

Harsh - but thats the reality

First team football (which is the only football that matters) is brutal and harsh - its everything

It's not a kindergarten to wrap kids in cotton wool - and its certainly not there to be at the detriment of the first team as an experiment in seeing if kids can cut it

25 minutes ago, scram said:

People have got to stop with this myth that kids who go to Chelsea and City somehow ended up wasting their potential

Football is a business that relies on the first team being successful - its not a charity to develop careers for young players

A little (true) story - Mickey Adams was boss at Port Vale. Due to injuries they had to promote a young centre back to the first team. The youngster did well but made a mistake which led to the goal that meant a 1-0 loss for Vale.

After the match Adams was being interviewed and when told a good positive was the strong performance from the young CB he replied "he cost us the game - he does that 4 more times and i lose my job"

First team football (which is the only football that matters) is brutal and harsh - its everything

It's not a kindergarten to wrap kids in cotton wool - and its certainly not there to be at the detriment of the first team as an experiment in seeing if kids can cut it

Top post and very true. sadly probably why the national side hasn't won anything for years.

In other news

Chelsea keeper Matej Delac has been with the club for 8 years yet never played a first team game

Work permit issues mean that Matej Dalec cannot play at Stamford Bridge, and he has criss-crossed Europe in a succession of loan spells since 2009

Matej Delac's name, however, is more likely to raise a confused eyebrow from all but the most fanatical Blues supporters. 

But he is, nevertheless, the club's current longest-serving player as he has spent the last eight years tied to Stamford Bridge while failing to play a single game!

The 24-year-old goalkeeper, born in Bosnia but capped for Croatia up to Under-21 level, laughed at his paradoxical situation as he looked back on a Chelsea career of which he has so far spent the entirety out on loan.

"I know about that fact, the fact I have the longest-running professional contract with Chelsea," he told Goal .

Edited by darra

18 minutes ago, scram said:

I agree with what you say to a point,  but, out of Chelsea and Man City's outstanding youth squads, how many have actually established themselves in the first team squad.

Ofcourse football is a multi million pound business based on results and managers therefore want succes or hit target from day 1.

But surely there has to be a mix between the two?

31 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

I agree with what you say to a point,  but, out of Chelsea and Man City's outstanding youth squads, how many have actually established themselves in the first team squad.

Ofcourse football is a multi million pound business based on results and managers therefore want succes or hit target from day 1.

But surely there has to be a mix between the two?

But that's sort of the point. If Harry Kane got injured and was out for weeks it's unlikely that Spurs would bring in a youngster from their squad. More likely they'd, depending on the time of year, bring in or buy a proven goal scorer. If Rhodes, Forestieri, Fletcher or Hooper got injured I reckon it's still unlikely Hirst would get a start,bench at best

Edited by darra

13 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

Again - another myth of development football

It's not necessarily about getting players through to the first team but about running a productive system - its totally unrealistic to expect the best teams in the world to have a youth development system that consistently produces first team players

I'd bet that Chelsea's system pays for itself - easily. From their perspective - job done

Most systems are run at a substantial loss - as will ours

There isn't a clamour to mix first team with academy graduates - all fans want is a successful first team.

End of

17 minutes ago, darra said:

I suspect that part of Chelsea, Man City's et al's youth policy is to hoover up promising youngsters before the others do.

This what i mean.  And how many of those kids stagnate on huge salaries whilst playing youth football and never reaching there potential.

Yes i get everyone wants instant success, but to stop or delay a promising kids development for it is wrong IMO.

3 hours ago, darra said:

Top post and very true. sadly probably why the national side hasn't won anything for years.

In other news

Chelsea keeper Matej Delac has been with the club for 8 years yet never played a first team game

Work permit issues mean that Matej Dalec cannot play at Stamford Bridge, and he has criss-crossed Europe in a succession of loan spells since 2009

Matej Delac's name, however, is more likely to raise a confused eyebrow from all but the most fanatical Blues supporters. 

But he is, nevertheless, the club's current longest-serving player as he has spent the last eight years tied to Stamford Bridge while failing to play a single game!

The 24-year-old goalkeeper, born in Bosnia but capped for Croatia up to Under-21 level, laughed at his paradoxical situation as he looked back on a Chelsea career of which he has so far spent the entirety out on loan.

"I know about that fact, the fact I have the longest-running professional contract with Chelsea," he told Goal .

Then again, Inter Zaprešić gave Delac chance while he was still 16 years old, and for couple of years paid all their bills from money they got from his sale to Chelsea.

It's not just Hirst, Matt Penney a left back is ready to step up and be given a go in my opinion. We aren't blessed there Pudil is getting on and I don't rate Fox especially defensively, but as the above poster put CC won't bring through youth he needs promotion. So he'll play Reach there instead.

Ive said this before an got slated but we have an over inflated forward line which we need to trim which is the only way Hirst will get a chance. I'd sell Winnall and Fletcher not because there bad players but because they IMO don't suit us and won't get enough game time.

9 hours ago, darra said:

In other news

It's almost irrelevant to Chelsea that he can't play because of his work permit situation, because if he proved to be good enough by his performances out on loan he'd probably pick up some full international caps, and consequently he'd have a good case for a work permit.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

It's not just Hirst, Matt Penney a left back is ready to step up and be given a go in my opinion. We aren't blessed there Pudil is getting on and I don't rate Fox especially defensively, but as the above poster put CC won't bring through youth he needs promotion. So he'll play Reach there instead.

Ive said this before an got slated but we have an over inflated forward line which we need to trim which is the only way Hirst will get a chance. I'd sell Winnall and Fletcher not because there bad players but because they IMO don't suit us and won't get enough game time.

if hirst is a better player than fletch or winnall then I agree if not then your weakening the squad .