We under achieved last season.

The winning run at the end that delivered us into 4th place was more of reflective of the ability of this team.

Keeping players like Hooper and Lee fit is the key. Also we have options in Abdi and Boyd. 

If we hit the ground running, we can achieve top 2- even without a new defender ( but we will sign one).

Verdict- top 2. If we aren't on course we need a new manager. No excuses.

40 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

The winning run at the end that delivered us into 4th place was more of reflective of the ability of this team.

Keeping players like Hooper and Lee fit is the key. Also we have options in Abdi and Boyd. 

If we hit the ground running, we can achieve top 2- even without a new defender ( but we will sign one).

Verdict- top 2. If we aren't on course we need a new manager. No excuses.

I would doubt that, we were quite a way off last season. Also, a lot of the time we were not particularly convincing, for a play off side, how many times did we win by three or more?

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

We haven't done enough in the market to bump us up to automatic. One month left to change that. 

So as BG would have said (if still alive): "If we don't sign anybody this week then we can forget about automatic promotion":rolleyes:

Did we though?

Everybody expected Newcastle and Brighton to be a cut above everybody else and, even allowing for the fact we beat Newcastle twice, both were much stronger than us.

We were second best of the rest which included Norwich, Villa, The mighty Fulham, Derby etc.

We finished give or take a place either way, exactly where we should have. Its quite possible that Hull and Middlesborough could be way too good for the rest of us this season and we could have a great season only to finish 3rd. If you look at the teams in the championship now, an argument could be made that if we finished any higher than 4th this year, we will have over achieved.

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I would doubt that, we were quite a way off last season. Also, a lot of the time we were not particularly convincing, for a play off side, how many times did we win by three or more?

Since when was that a measure of anything?

All that matters is scoring one more than the opposites.

I think we were unlucky with injuries last season.

Hooper was a big miss when he didn't play. As was Lee. 

This team is good enough to make top 2. 

9 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Since when was that a measure of anything?

All that matters is scoring one more than the opposites.

I think we were unlucky with injuries last season.

Hooper was a big miss when he didn't play. As was Lee. 

This team is good enough to make top 2. 

We weren't good enough last year - Brighton and Newcastle were streets ahead - this year could be tougher - a lot of teams have strengthened, Boro look sound, Villa should be better, Norwich may gel this year. We may look back on last year and feel it was a huge waste of an opportunity.

We should have beaten Huddersfield and could have beaten Reading - and it wasn't fan negativity that got in the way.  

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

We weren't good enough last year - Brighton and Newcastle were streets ahead - this year could be tougher - a lot of teams have strengthened, Boro look sound, Villa should be better, Norwich may gel this year. We may look back on last year and feel it was a huge waste of an opportunity.

We should have beaten Huddersfield and could have beaten Reading - and it wasn't fan negativity that got in the way.  

I think having too many players half fit or injured hindered us in the playoffs.

Just now, Bodhidharma said:

I think having too many players half fit or injured hindered us in the playoffs.

I think going to Huddersfield - who we'd beaten twice - and completely surrendering the initiative by playing in such a supine way set a tone that gave them confidence that they could match us. But obviously it's all guesswork. 

13 minutes ago, ArmyBarmy said:

Why does everyone go on about Lee being a big miss? We had him up to Newcastle and we were poor then. Hooper was our biggest miss by a mile. Lee wouldn't get in my 11 if everyone's fit. Not a chance 

Lee was unfit or injured for the whole of last season. 

Fully fit he is without a doubt our best player. 

Edited by Bodhidharma

I wouldn't say we under achieved so much as Norwich, Derby and Villa wildly underachieved and if they are serious competition this season there will be very little gap between 2nd and 8th and the margin for error will be so slim that you loose 1 you'll fall out of the top six, every single team in the hunt will go on massive winning streaks so the final places will be more down to the luck of results elsewhere than team performances because everyone is expected to win just to keep up. If we have a season like that and you think Carlos is cautious now i'm worried we've not seen nothing yet.

Edited by TrueOwl