Rhodes pessimists in minority

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don't think he would get into any of the clubs likely to challenge for the play offs Obviously he isn't helped by the trend of playing just the one up He didn't look comfortable in Boro's one up top set up, and struggled when asked to do the job for us

As I've said, you couldn't fault his effort last season, but the modern game doesn't suit his style Can he adapt? That's the big question, I hope he does, but I'm certainly not in favour of changing our whole game to suit Jordan Rhodes

Don't get fussed if we had another striker that the club depended on you would be slagging him off as well...I bet you hated Lee Chapman

Guest RocketOwl

It's not about being a Rhodes pessimist it's about being a realist:

He looked slow, weak and well off the pace last season. To be honest he's got a couple of much better strikers ahead of him so he will be lucky to even get in the squad.

14 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

It's not about being a Rhodes pessimist it's about being a realist:

He looked slow, weak and well off the pace last season. To be honest he's got a couple of much better strikers ahead of him so he will be lucky to even get in the squad.

Stop talking like a cnut your making yourself look simple now.

Change the record or the bait.

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Star running a poll today.

Over a thousand votes so far.

10% of us think he will score 10 or less. 

22% 11-15 (if Carlos rotates as much as other seasons that's a fair return)

34% 16-20

26% 21-25 (where my vote sits) 

and there's even 7% of us saying 26+ (I will have whatever you are drinking)

When you read the pessimism many fans have on here about Jordan, it clearly isn't felt by the majority outside this forum.

I suspect a few of the "10 or less" voters may be from across the city.

And Rocket owl 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I don't think he would get into any of the clubs likely to challenge for the play offs Obviously he isn't helped by the trend of playing just the one up He didn't look comfortable in Boro's one up top set up, and struggled when asked to do the job for us

As I've said, you couldn't fault his effort last season, but the modern game doesn't suit his style Can he adapt? That's the big question, I hope he does, but I'm certainly not in favour of changing our whole game to suit Jordan Rhodes

Lumping long balls/slow build up is death to a true centre forward.

It's really simple...Go back to 2 years ago and move rapidly up the pitch and fill the box.

Look how he heads the ball into the goal.  Cross the ball with pace and he's on it.

It doesn't take a massive change to do any of this..The game is simple.

It's people like you who over complicate it and muddy the waters who are to blame for this technical fog we suffer from.

You mock the 80s as being a dinosaur era...It wasn't.

The game is exactly the same then as it is now.....Fit.. Organised....And aggressive in attack and defence.

We need to change the way we play, I agree. But not just to suit JR.

46 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Lumping long balls/slow build up is death to a true centre forward.

It's really simple...Go back to 2 years ago and move rapidly up the pitch and fill the box.

Look how he heads the ball into the goal.  Cross the ball with pace and he's on it.

It doesn't take a massive change to do any of this..The game is simple.

It's people like you who over complicate it and muddy the waters who are to blame for this technical fog we suffer from.

You mock the 80s as being a dinosaur era...It wasn't.

The game is exactly the same then as it is now.....Fit.. Organised....And aggressive in attack and defence.

We need to change the way we play, I agree. But not just to suit JR.

Oh but if it were just me. It's virtually every international coach, most of the best club coaches from around the world, nearly all the Premier League clubs and practically all of the championship All play with one up, and you're suggesting roll back the years just to accommodate a striker who thrived in a bygone era That's proper Luddite thinking

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Oh but if it were just me. It's virtually every international coach, most of the best club coaches from around the world, nearly all the Premier League clubs and practically all of the championship All play with one up, and you're suggesting roll back the years just to accommodate a striker who thrived in a bygone era That's proper Luddite thinking

The fact you've lumped yourself in with that group says it all.:baby:

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sorry for interjecting, and do correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm often the one that argues against 4-4-2, but for the sake of being fair...

But haven't Leicester, Bournemouth, and Burnley all won the Championship by playing 4-4-2? And didn't Newcastle win it playing 4-4-1-1?

So 3 of the last four champions have played 4-4-2, and the last champions basically played it

Just saying like...

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Sorry for interjecting, and do correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm often the one that argues against 4-4-2, but for the sake of being fair...

But haven't Leicester, Bournemouth, and Burnley all won the Championship by playing 4-4-2? And didn't Newcastle win it playing 4-4-1-1?

So 3 of the last four champions have played 4-4-2, and the last champions basically played it

Just saying like...

Our system currently resembles the Newcastle one, perhaps more than the others. I'm not saying no sides play 4-4-2, a few still do, and some clubs have had success with it. It's not necessarily my preferred way of playing, but I don't have a problem playing that way My argument is simple, we play a certain way, because Carlos wants us to play that way, and we've been reasonably successful playing it. This for the most part, involves a single striker, with Hooper, or previously, Forestieri, playing just behind.

So when people say we need to change the way we set up, because it doesn't work for Jordan Rhodes, then I have an issue. WTF should we change the way the team plays just to accommodate one player?

Edited by gurujuan

21 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Our  real fans will get behind Rhodes this season 

if he scores goals, yes they will

if he doesn't, no they won't

it's as simple as that, you can't negotiate with internet folk, it's the way it has and always will be 

Edited by FreshOwl

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Star running a poll today.

Over a thousand votes so far.

10% of us think he will score 10 or less. 

22% 11-15 (if Carlos rotates as much as other seasons that's a fair return)

34% 16-20

26% 21-25 (where my vote sits) 

and there's even 7% of us saying 26+ (I will have whatever you are drinking)

When you read the pessimism many fans have on here about Jordan, it clearly isn't felt by the majority outside this forum.

I suspect a few of the "10 or less" voters may be from across the city.

No sorry one of the votes for 10 or less was me 

I was scrolling up on the ipad and  i clicked on it 

:wacko:

I think he is still top quality and we'd struggle to find better.

We paid big money and I'm sure people who know more about football than me think the same.

I can't help thinking we can be too critical of our players and think other teams players are better than what we have.

Antonio, he was all running,never been a footballer. That's not me saying that. Now people say we need that sort of player again.

Mcgugan, top player, wish we could sign him. Then when he comes he's too lazy.

Now suddenly a player who's done it every season for the last don't know how many, apart from Middleboroughs season in the premier league, isn't that good.

Same with Abdi. Gets a handful of games, raved about at Watford but like Jones who's done it before, isn't that good really in our fans opinion.

I think sometimes people are too harsh.

But that's just my opinion.

Tbh I always rated Antonio.

People used to be critical of him , like with Rhodes, hooper and bannan at times.

In light of where he is now I have to think some fans just judge too harshly at times and don't always realise the player they have.