Rhodes pessimists in minority

1 minute ago, norris said:

Didn't want to start a new thread with this question because then the question wouldn't be needed.........

Why is there no matchday thread for the Donny Rovers game that kicks off in 3 hours? Are we all waiting for somebody else to do it?

This is your big moment Norris.

36 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Quotes

'The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty'.

Winston Spencer Churchill

Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.

Oscar Wilde

"If it isn't broke don't fix it

Fred Dibnah

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

My fear is he won't be a regular starter under Carlos. I think his preferred front 2 will be Fletcher and Hooper when both fit.

Which, based on the way we played last season, is absolutely, without doubt our best combination.

Unless we change the way we attack, I cannot see Rhodes starting, or if he does, scoring goals.  

I don't care how many friggin goals he scores, as long as he contributes to Wednesday's success. To listen to some of the freaks on here, you'd think Jordan Rhodes was more important than the team. It's laughable that some can accuse me of revelling in his failure, when I never even had those unrealistic expectations in the first place He may appear a failure if you were one of those who expected him to get 15-20 goals last season, but to the rest of his, he came in, did his job, and was part of the group who got to the play offs. I don't get all this hysterical X Factor adulation stuff from grown men, it does my nut in

Edited by gurujuan

First we need our best players fit. I mean 100% match fit not having to manage them through from game to game.

Then we need centre back sorted so we play knowing that our back 4 can cope

Then I expect Carlos to start this season same as last. Which contrary to what some on here think was very positive, playing good football.

Then we need a bit of luck so that good football turns into points.

Not like early last season where we didn't turn good performances into wins.

Then Rhodes will start scoring, everybody will be buzzing and the momentum will build 

Easy peasy 

Edited by oldishowl

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Jordan Rhodes has the pedigree, transfer fee and wages to be a top goal scorer in the Championship this season.

To speak plainly now is the time for him to prove it.

Now is the time for the manager to set up the side to give him the service....Rhodes as nothing to prove in this league.

2 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

Quotes

'The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty'.

Winston Spencer Churchill

Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.

Oscar Wilde

A pessimist is rarely disappointed.  

Not read all the posts on here, but (if not suggested already)..why run a concurrent vote on OT for comparison purposes with the Star, on the JR goals Scored... 

A direct correlation of results should either confirm if OT comprises of people who just talk BS. 

Caveat: flip side on the hand,  is that the Star voters may also comprise of people that vote BS. 

Edited by owls-swfc

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Unless we change the way we play, Rhodes won't get much more than 10 goals, because he won't play all that often.

The way in which we played last season, suits a combination of Fletcher/Hooper. 

However, if we look to get to the byline and get balls into the box, like a couple of goals have been in pre-season so far, then Rhodes could end up been prolific. 

Rhodes isn't the variable. It's how we play. Play to his strengths, he'll get goals. Don't, and he won't. Simple as that.

This

Nail on the head

When you buy these top players you have to give them the games and service.

Play them in the right positions too.

Abdi and Rhodes would get in any other championship team but we have debates on whether they are good enough.

We've had a few players over the years who come with pedigree and glowing reports from other fans and leave looking like mugs.

Is Hillsborough an unforgiving place or do we just sign players past their best?

44 minutes ago, Eightace said:

When you buy these top players you have to give them the games and service.

Play them in the right positions too.

Abdi and Rhodes would get in any other championship team but we have debates on whether they are good enough.

We've had a few players over the years who come with pedigree and glowing reports from other fans and leave looking like mugs.

Is Hillsborough an unforgiving place or do we just sign players past their best?

With respect, I'm not sure those two players would get into many championship sides Both are good players but often we underestimate other teams players As far as Rhodes goes, most clubs couldn't carry a player like that In fact, nearly all clubs play with just the one up He, of course, could still adapt to that role, but so far, it's not been his game Your point about game time is relevant though, with neither Abdi, nor Rhodes being regulars last season Will be interesting if both start the season in the starting line up Could be good for each other 

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

With respect, I'm not sure those two players would get into many championship sides Both are good players but often we underestimate other teams players As far as Rhodes goes, most clubs couldn't carry a player like that In fact, nearly all clubs play with just the one up He, of course, could still adapt to that role, but so far, it's not been his game Your point about game time is relevant though, with neither Abdi, nor Rhodes being regulars last season Will be interesting if both start the season in the starting line up Could be good for each other 

Hmm I'm always open to different opinions but surely Rhodes is one of the best strikers in the division still?

Edited by Eightace

34 minutes ago, Eightace said:

Hmm I'm always open to different opinions but surely Rhodes is one of the best strikers in the division still?

I don't think he would get into any of the clubs likely to challenge for the play offs Obviously he isn't helped by the trend of playing just the one up He didn't look comfortable in Boro's one up top set up, and struggled when asked to do the job for us

As I've said, you couldn't fault his effort last season, but the modern game doesn't suit his style Can he adapt? That's the big question, I hope he does, but I'm certainly not in favour of changing our whole game to suit Jordan Rhodes

Edited by gurujuan