Is anyone being put OFF football..

Things were bad enough last year. The agent in the Pogba deal last summer received £41 million according to reports.

Chansiri paid about £37.5 million for Wednesday, well under half of what Man.Utd paid for Pogba.

This year it's gone even more ridiculous when you consider that Kyle Walker cost Man. City more than it cost to buy our club!

If we go up we will not be able to compete with the top six financially, neither would I want to if it meant putting our club at risk.

The Premier League will end up at a point similar to the NFL where normal people can't afford to go, the sport is just a TV show that earns money through TV subscription and advertisements. Then the crash will come.

I think you need to change your thread title to top end professional football.

I still love football, but am falling out of love with Wednesday and the top end pro game in general.

I'm at the same point as the FC United of Manchester lot, a few years back .The team playing at Hillsborough, just aren't Wednesday to me and (due to pricing) the fans aren't Wednesday fans.

When I started watching us as a four year old in 1980, 4 or 5 players were from Sheffield  (John Pearson & Mark Smith from my schools). The players were getting probably the equivalent of 40-100K per YEAR in todays money and we played in Blue & White stripes. The ticket prices were then affordable to most.

Now, Zero players from Sheffield, players on 10-50K per WEEK. We're playing in all blue and many Wednesdayites are priced out.

If it weren't for being tied up in the 3 year (& kids), I would probably switch to watching my local non league side (& SWFC on rare occasions)

23 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Things were bad enough last year. The agent in the Pogba deal last summer received £41 million according to reports.

Chansiri paid about £37.5 million for Wednesday, well under half of what Man.Utd paid for Pogba.

This year it's gone even more ridiculous when you consider that Kyle Walker cost Man. City more than it cost to buy our club!

If we go up we will not be able to compete with the top six financially, neither would I want to if it meant putting our club at risk.

I think I remember reading the £41m was a misprint in the report into the Pogba transfer, should have been £4.1m.

Which is still way too OTT.

In a way yes. Money has become very silly, however if I'm honest is that a generation thing. For example people in the 80's didn't like the 90's as money went up. Those around in the 90's became fed up during the 00's and so on.

However which ever way you look at it. 50 million for a full back is daft.

Guest BULGARIA

Been falling out of love with footy for a while, however when i come home to Sheffield and watch the owls, the buzz is still there.

I sometimes look forward to watching a premiership game on the t.v, but once it starts i find myself doing other stuff as its just so boring watching players diving, the constant stop start and the flashing ads all over the place.

I work with two Man Citeh fans and they hate whats going on at their club,  they call it play station football, its all so fake and sterile........ says it all really.

As much as i want the owls to be successful, i didnt lose 1 wink of sleep when we lost in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Don't even watch Football anymore unless Wednesday are involved.

I'm the same

I wouldn't know half the players in the prem if I walked past them on the street

There are times when I wish the top European clubs (including Man U/City, Chelski, Arse/Tot), would just FO and form a billionaires league and live in their own bubble.

It would then be all be in one place for me to completely ignore. 

WHAT PUTS ME OFF is the lack of respect shown (on social media and elsewhere) to those who are trying to do their best for the club they work for, and suffering threats and abuse.  They deserve every penny of the obscene money that's on their payslips for the mindless drivel hurled at them if they dare to lose a match or make a mistake, although I doubt that that makes up for it.  Even winning a match can have the same result 'we were useless, should have scored 10...'.  Brains (if there in the first place) go out of the window.  Strange how none of this happens in any other sport in the UK.  

Whatever happened to just supporting your club, and accepting that no club wins every game, and no player plays well every week, and no manager makes the right decisions every time - no more than any human being that's ever lived.

In our PC society it's amazing that supporters aren't dragged off forums and social media for the abuse - sorry, valid opinions, as they would say - they hurl.  In other situations, the police would be round.

I have supported SWFC since my first match in 1960, and abuse never changed a thing for the better...  

3 hours ago, abdiwonderland said:

Because of the ridiculous money involved?

Part of me wants us to stay in the Championship because when full backs cost £50m, we would never be able to compete! 

Its becoming sickeningly vile. 

Not being put off but it is ridiculous.  The worrying part is it is spreading to the Championship where without promotion it is unsustainable.

However I have tended to give football a bit of a swerve over the close season as ready for a break from it all.  Not even considered the season starts in a week and a half.  Saying that will be checking on the Preston action from my Majorcan sun lounger.

Well, it's circa 90 minutes of something that varies from complete crap to absolute brilliance, you never know what you are about to ge, we could beat the likes of Man Utd in a cup final or lose a home match to Rotherham. Whilst we are are all experts on everything SWFC, I am minded of a definition of the word 'expert', this being 'ex as being a has been, and 'spert' as being a drip under pressure', but on reflection I much prefer being football daft, than just daft.

Edited by optimisticowl

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Part of me prefers other clubs motives and models like brentford - I assume they don't expect to compete, but they play attacking football, take gambles on young players and sell them on over and over. 

Maybe its a case case of the grass being greener... our expectation levels and ambitions prevents the above. Maybe they are envious of us and our approach. 

yes and Barnsley

1 hour ago, VBQ24 said:

The Premier League will end up at a point similar to the NFL where normal people can't afford to go, the sport is just a TV show that earns money through TV subscription and advertisements. Then the crash will come.

I agree, but there's plenty of untapped income in the far east and the rest of the world for them to tap into [ I'm sure I read somewhere that the EPL are looking at some 11.00am Sunday kick off times for the 19/20 season and this

Prospect of oversea games returns

Premier League boss reiterates support for idea

It’s the story that just won’t go away - this week Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore once more floated the idea of competitive Premier League fixtures being played abroad. He was reported as saying "I thought it was the right thing to do, I still do" about the idea and says Premier League clubs are still supportive of it. The FSF remain opposed to it and will always be ready to mobilise against any concrete proposals for games abroad.