Jump to content


abdiwonderland

Is anyone being put OFF football..

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, kilbyj said:

It's stupid but it's also kind of withdrawn from the real world, kind of a spectacle.

 

Doesn't really affect me at the minute  so I'm still in love with the game.

 

As soon as it starts to impact the fans in a real negative way on prices etc then the whole game is screwed and it will effect every club, we won't be alone. And as soon as this happens fundamental changes will be made to the entire game for all.

 

Enjoy the ride.

 

You think it hasn't affected the fans in a real negative way when it comes to prizes?

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

 

I think our season ticket prices are reasonable, but that's for a different topic.

 

 

Ps. Is that your tattoo on your avatar?

Haha it was said in jest. I think the first phase ones are ok but after that and match day don't get me started !

 

Unfortuantly not yet, it's what I am having on my leg I love it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one thing I like about championship football more than premier league football and that's that Wednesday play 8 more games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a similar  thread a while back. I think I said pretty much the same thing, that I still love the sport. Sadly the money(not that I blame the players, I wouldn't turn down 100k a week) in the game and the culture of celebrity that now surrounds the game turns me off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's put the Championship into perspective...

 

It's the 13th largest league competition in the world across all sports in terms of revenue.

 

It's the 10th largest league competition in the world in terms of total attendance (not too far behind La Liga and the Bundesliga but ahead of Serie A, although there are more matches in the Championship). There are also far more matches in MLB, NBA and NHL than there are in the Championship.

 

And, when you take into account average attendances, the Championship sits alongside the NBA and the NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hugely.  

It's not so much the amounts of money - though I dislike that a lot.  It's two things that stem from that.  

 

First, the ridiculous hype.  Sky TV is of course the worst, because they are selling a product, rather than reporting sports news.  So a perfectly mundane event like Chelsea v Man C is treated as some kind of special event, promoted up to the eyeballs, subject to acres of the most tedious analysis by ex-professionals wearing slightly nasty suits.  That's the epicentre, but it's spreading elsewhere.

 

Secondly, the stitch up.  Yes, Leicester won the league, but that really does seem to be the black swan event.  The things I recall from the 70s - Man U and Spurs being relegated; Chelsea being quite frequently in div 2; Arsenal being a mediocre lower div 1 side for some years - are not going to happen again.  Of course this irritates fans of clubs who in the past could reasonably hope to have top six seasons.  We (and for that matter Sheff U) have been huge losers in the revolution.  But I think I dislike it for objective as well as subjective reasons.

 

I seldom watch live football now on TV.  I haven't been put off going, yet.  But my heart is less in it.  For some years I went with my son and daughter.  Son no longer has a season ticket: he's off at uni, in the south.  Daughter will be 16 at the end of this season, and may or may not fancy renewing.  If she doesn't,  I suspect that will be the end of my own s/tkt times, and I'll become increasingly detached - rather sadly when the club itself after more than a quarter of a century of drift is (shirts notwithstanding) getting its act together

  • Agree 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Hugely.  

It's not so much the amounts of money - though I dislike that a lot.  It's two things that stem from that.  

 

First, the ridiculous hype.  Sky TV is of course the worst, because they are selling a product, rather than reporting sports news.  So a perfectly mundane event like Chelsea v Man C is treated as some kind of special event, promoted up to the eyeballs, subject to acres of the most tedious analysis by ex-professionals wearing slightly nasty suits.  That's the epicentre, but it's spreading elsewhere.

 

Secondly, the stitch up.  Yes, Leicester won the league, but that really does seem to be the black swan event.  The things I recall from the 70s - Man U and Spurs being relegated; Chelsea being quite frequently in div 2; Arsenal being a mediocre lower div 1 side for some years - are not going to happen again.  Of course this irritates fans of clubs who in the past could reasonably hope to have top six seasons.  We (and for that matter Sheff U) have been huge losers in the revolution.  But I think I dislike it for objective as well as subjective reasons.

 

I seldom watch live football now on TV.  I haven't been put off going, yet.  But my heart is less in it.  For some years I went with my son and daughter.  Son no longer has a season ticket: he's off at uni, in the south.  Daughter will be 16 at the end of this season, and may or may not fancy renewing.  If she doesn't,  I suspect that will be the end of my own s/tkt times, and I'll become increasingly detached - rather sadly when the club itself after more than a quarter of a century of drift is (shirts notwithstanding) getting its act together

 

think this happens to many. Know many who since the late 90s have just stopped going due to many reasons.

Problem is once you dont have a season ticket it becomes very difficult to pay full match prices, and DC knows this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Haha it was said in jest. I think the first phase ones are ok but after that and match day don't get me started !

 

Unfortuantly not yet, it's what I am having on my leg I love it 

 

I thought so - yeah I agree to some extent.

 

It'll look brilliant that, just hope they get the eyes right :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football has been poisoned and corrupted by money.

 

But if it was so easy to get put off by that,  the money wouldn't come flooding in the first place.

 

We are all addicted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, abdiwonderland said:

Mbappe is about to sign for RM for 140+ million! 18 years old and done NOTHING! Reach was a bargain.

Not really. You just can't begin to compare the elites of the game to our situation.

 

Then just think about what you're saying about Reach. Had done nothing, still done nothing, £5 million and bargain. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I just struggle to normalise these sums of money. The fact that anyone can is worrying.

 

As Holmes said, the whole thing needs an overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Let's put the Championship into perspective...

 

It's the 13th largest league competition in the world across all sports in terms of revenue.

 

It's the 10th largest league competition in the world in terms of total attendance (not too far behind La Liga and the Bundesliga but ahead of Serie A, although there are more matches in the Championship). There are also far more matches in MLB, NBA and NHL than there are in the Championship.

 

And, when you take into account average attendances, the Championship sits alongside the NBA and the NHL.

 

Yes, but it's still the English SECOND DIVISION. 

 

 The Premier League is where 

Sheffield Wednesday need to be !

 

Don't settle for second best.......

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, timikiwi said:

Not really. You just can't begin to compare the elites of the game to our situation.

 

Then just think about what you're saying about Reach. Had done nothing, still done nothing, £5 million and bargain. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I just struggle to normalise these sums of money. The fact that anyone can is worrying.

 

As Holmes said, the whole thing needs an overhaul.

 

It was tongue in cheek to be honest, but you are right. If Reach has a great season it will be a bargain, if he doesnt he will be sold for 1m and have to forge a career elsewhere. Mbappe on the other hand, if he has a bad few seasons he will end up back in Italy or Spain etc for about 35m! How is an 18 year old kid whos done nothing worth £140m? 

 

It's vile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me prefers other clubs motives and models like brentford - I assume they don't expect to compete, but they play attacking football, take gambles on young players and sell them on over and over. 

 

Maybe its a case case of the grass being greener... our expectation levels and ambitions prevents the above. Maybe they are envious of us and our approach. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As fans we are now of no concern to the seemingly corporate machines that operate within the EPL.

 

The heart and soul of the game disappeared once the really big money started entering football at the top level, the only thing that would reset it is if it went the same route as ITV digital.

 

25 years of the same product - people will and do get bored with the same format. 

 

Strange that we are the closest we've been to getting back to the so called promised land and tbh the only certainty that would bring is struggle, debt and misery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Wednesday went out of business, football will become like Cricket for me.

Couldn't care less about any teams, counties, stats, players.

But the occasional big England game (basically just the Ashes), I will want to see us win.

Will happily play it though at any opportunity, that's a different beast.

 

Not being from Sheffield or living anywhere near, it's pretty much a tv show when you can't go to many games. 

Sadly this is the future of the sport:

 

 

No thank you

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Shezza said:

 

You think it hasn't affected the fans in a real negative way when it comes to prizes?

Not yet no, yes it's got more expensive but attendances are steady or increasing.

 

Our prices are expensive and will have already priced out some fans, but again while attendances are where they are owners will push boundaries, it is a business.

 

Not ideal obviously, and i would prefer a cheaper ticket personally, but transfer fees and wages will continue to rise while we the fans still pour in. The football world takes fans for granted and up until breaking point they will continue to do so. But when breaking point happens it will happen for all which will change the game.

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Deleted member

Massively disillusioned.

 

If I couldn't afford a season ticket I wouldn't do anywhere near as much at Hillsborough. I prefer away games now - enjoy the trips, the atmoosphere much better. I take no interest in what other clubs are doing, who their players are. I never watch Premier League games.  I enjoy competing at the right end of the Championship - I'd love us to be promoted - but not if it meant pricing out even more fans.

 

Football has always been about the fans for me. Its being part of that heaving mass of people urging Wednesday on that makes football what it is and so addictive. Ive been so proud over the years of the sheer numbers who travel to watch us, and the vocal support we give.

 

I genuinely enjoy watching my lads team (he manages a Sunday league side of adults who are actually really good) far more than I enjoy my Saturdays (or whatever bloody time/day weve been told we have to play on)... They won a cup at the New York stadium in May - on the same day of our away play off semi at Huddersfield - and theres no way whatsoever I'd have missed that game to go to Huddersfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Answer to the OP is - Yes  

 

Sky is to blame for driving the change from a family spectator sport to a screw everybody commercial enterprise imo 

Ticket prices

Agents

Power trip foreign owners

Too few English players in premier league is bad for our future - don't watch it 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money in the game is crazy at the minute but that doesnt mean i want us to stay in the Championship. Would love us to be a Premiership team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I've definitely adjusted my attitudes. Last season I felt we needed promotion at all costs. This season I just hope we compete at the right end and I just want to enjoy it. It wasn't enjoyable last season because anything other than a win and I felt let down. This year just looks mental with the amount of money, high profile players and managers and different contenders. I'm just happy were considered one of them and hope we give it a good go. 

 

 

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...