Your 2 CMs

This was prompted by a brief exchange with studentowl on another thread.

Here are the "rules". No cheating!!!

• Assume we don't buy another CM before August 5th.
  • You can't change Carlos's stated intention to play 442.
  • Abdi, Bannan, Lee, Hutch, Jones all fighting-fit

Who do you want to see as our CM duo for our first few games?

I think this will be quite revealing and difficult. Perhaps there isn't a perfect partnership among them. So who do you pick?

At Preston I would go with Hutch and Bannan, and tell Bannan to get forward more to influence the game further up the pitch and leave Hutch behind.

These were the two in midfield against Arsenal, with Lee supporting the striker. But I'd have Hooper in that role instead at Preston 

It depends on both the Opposition and the players outside of them.

Id play away to Preston with Reach, Abdi, Lee and Boyd. Hard working with creativity from Abdi. 

The home games I may be tempted to put FF out wide and that may bring Hutch/Jones/Bannan into middle with Lee. 

Cant see how both FF and Abdi fit in a midfield 4. 

The fact everyone has got a different idea highlights the problem. A team should pick itself. We've got lots of 7/10 players, but only a couple, at a push, who are top drawer. Westwood is one, and Hutchinson and Lee are knocking on the door. 

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

This was prompted by a brief exchange with studentowl on another thread.

Here are the "rules". No cheating!!!

• Assume we don't buy another CM before August 5th.
  • You can't change Carlos's stated intention to play 442.
  • Abdi, Bannan, Lee, Hutch, Jones all fighting-fit

Who do you want to see as our CM duo for our first few games?

I think this will be quite revealing and difficult. Perhaps there isn't a perfect partnership among them. So who do you pick?

It will be mix and match for me. There's no perfect combination and we'll have to adjust depending upon the opposition. Away from home either Hutch of Jones will have to play but at home, especially against the weaker sides we could probably get away with 2 of the others. 

Tough to make a selection without knowing what to expect from Abdi. On that basis I'm going to go for Lee and Bannan at home and Jones and Lee away.

Lee and Abdi.

Certain games Hutchinson might be a better fit, but Lee covers a lot of ground, keeps everything ticking and and we lack goals from midfield, these 2 would be the most likely to fix that.

Abdi and Lee x3

Abdi and Hutch x1

Hutch and Lee x3

Andi and Jones x1

Bannan and Hutch x2

Hutch and Jones x2

(may be a slight miscount as I'm not spending 5 minutes doing counts, sorry :biggrin:)

In short... we haven't got a chuffing clue what to do, and as Vulva said... to a certain extent the team should pick itself. I'm sure we can all agree that flexibility and options are fantastic, and we sure as hell have that in spades... but we don't really have any idea what combo we want. 

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Abdi and Lee x3

Abdi and Hutch x1

Hutch and Lee x3

Andi and Jones x1

Bannan and Hutch x2

Hutch and Jones x2

(may be a slight miscount as I'm not spending 5 minutes doing counts, sorry :biggrin:)

In short... we haven't got a chuffing clue what to do, and as Vulva said... to a certain extent the team should pick itself. I'm sure we can all agree that flexibility and options are fantastic, and we sure as hell have that in spades... but we don't really have any idea what combo we want. 

It's a good job it won't be us lot picking the team then, eh!?

:duntmatter:

I imagine Carlos will use different combinations in different contexts. Hopefully Abdi can stay fit this season and force his way into the reckoning on a consistent basis.