So no wingers needed

14 hours ago, swfc1983 said:

A fully fit and flying Fernando is better than anyone we could realistically afford so I can understand Carlos focusing on other areas. If the season starts and it looks like neither Reach, FF or Matias are up to it then we have until the end of August to bring another winger in ie. Snodgrass.

Just signed a massive contract at West Ham less than 12 months ago...he's going nowhere, especially a lower division for less money.

As much as I would like a player like Gradel to come in, I can't see it happening. CC will stick to 442, which means he likes his wingers who play hard both ends of the pitch, less flair and tricky more work rate and selfless play - hence why players like Macca, McGeady and Matias have all struggled. Undoubtedly good players, but in this system will never flourish, would just be the same if we brought in another type. 

I think FF has made it clear he doesn't want to be forced out wide to accommodate 2 strikers, so I think what will happen is we'll finish games this season or maybe even start the occasional home game with a front 6 like;

Jones/Bannan/Hutchinson or Lee

Boyd                                                                 Reach

FF

Hooper                     Rhodes

Boyd/Reach/Wallace are all able to drift inside and play that central role to a degree, just like all our CM options (expect probably Abdi) could play that anchor role dictating the pace of the game - although i'd probably want Bannan or Jones doing that ideally. We know CC likes to go all out attack if games aren't going in our favour so that formation above is something i'd be very excited to see!

I would also like pace but it's not everything. 

Most fast wingers can't cross- Walcott for example - and those that can cost squillions, such as Ince.

Rhodes et al need quality deliveries and we now have a winger who can deliver , from left or right.

Plus EPL nous and promotion experience.

38 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

I would also like pace but it's not everything. 

Most fast wingers can't cross- Walcott for example - and those that can cost squillions, such as Ince.

Rhodes et al need quality deliveries and we now have a winger who can deliver , from left or right.

Plus EPL nous and promotion experience.

Quite right.

Any pacy winger happy to join a Championship club as an option player can't be a very good one.

In Boyd, Wallace FF and Reach we have rediculous quality and strength in depth. Unless Reach plays LB I can't see Carlos keeping that lot happy.

On 15/07/2017 at 07:58, Holmowl said:

Hope you are wrong. Hope we never see him start a match as second striker. 

Hull last year and Huddersfield thus year are perfect examples of how toothless the team becomes when we play with one striker and no threat down one side of the pitch. 

As I type, of the 650 who have voted in the Star poll (ok 277 were me.....joke):-

35 want him dropped or gone

220 want him behind a front two - but Carlos has told us it's 442, so that role won't exist

40 want him striker

345 want him wide left

I'm delighted he has said this. Hope he means it. 

I'm very disappointed in this 442 approach, we are not strong enough in midfield with bannan and lee as the the only 2 centre midfielders, hope he proves me wrong, but history says otherwise!

Fessi should get a free roll in midfield & get him on the ball as much as possible, with 2  strikers in front of him.

All we need is a good quality right wing back and a centre half, play Reach left wing back for a 352 formation, playing to players strengths. 

Westwood

Lees     Hutchinson.   AN Other

Boyd?      Lee             Bannon.       Reach

Fessi

Rhodes.            Winnall 

51 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

I'm very disappointed in this 442 approach, we are not strong enough in midfield with bannan and lee as the the only 2 centre midfielders

Westwood

Boyd?      Lee             Bannon.       Reach

Fessi

Rhodes.            Winnall 

Boyd?        Lee         Bannon.       Reach

Fessi

giphy.gif

Edited by StudentOwl

11 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

I think FF has made it clear he doesn't want to be forced out wide to accommodate 2 strikers...   

Has he?  Where?  

All I've seen recently is Carlos say that FF has been training very well out on the left and will probably play there and can play up front if called upon.  

Also, why are people babbling on about playing 3 at the back still, when CC has said we're playing 4-4-2 this season?  

From what I saw yesterday I thought it was 4231 with full backs creating the width.  Agree that centre mid needs sorting but I think Carlos is trying to get this balance right.  Bazza looked good in the 2 til he dropped deep late on and gave them space to play.  Hoops did ok in the centre of the 3 but looked a bit overweight.  Nando looked good on the left of the 3 and worked hard.  With a good ch next to Tom Lees organising things they wouldn't have scored. 

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

At least you've got your sense of humour mate...cant take that away from you................

Obviously your sense of humour is very different to mine.

If Misrepresenting someone to score a cheap point is humerus, I'm glad I don't have either of yours.

Just now, Bark1062 said:

My apologies, didn't realise that.

Perhaps I should misrepresent any statements you make, I'm sure you!d appreciate that.

Do what you like.

Think fantasy football not football focus.

Loosen your knicker elastic and you'll keep your perspective.

24 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Christ, calm down... I sure hope your bark is worse than your bite... :ghoulguy:

20 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Don't try to misconstrue what I saiid then I wouldn't react.

Got plenty of bite when needed.

Spooky but true.

"bite" is c--k in French.

Hope this helps.