So no wingers needed

2 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

Also think starting FF on left with reach as LB opens up some very good tactical changes depending on game.

if we are winning we can replace one of our strikers with a defender pushing FF up and Reach to LM meaning more defensive minded players on pitch but still flair from FF and potentially reach.

if we are loosing we can approach 4-3-3 FF moving up top swap a CM with a Deffender pushing Reach to LM to pump crosses in and still having a solid back 4.

just by that alone could help at times. Atleast I think that anyway lol I'm no manager but I can hazard a guess lol 

I think that's a great point.

Up to now, Carlos has generally started matches with FF and a striker, and we look toothless are rarely score. 15/16 was exactly the same. We went months scoring only two goals in first halves with that set-up.

However, if we start with FF wide and two strikers, taking the game to oppos from the off, it's a good tactic to put FF up later on, when the oppos have to take risks.

I also agree that we will need Adam's fabulous energy and his pace at LB. He has been decent but under-whelming as LW, but has twice the energy and pace of Pudil. 

Several posters fret about the FF and Reach partnership defensively. I see it as a hugely exciting attacking approach, which will pin the right side of oppos back deep in their own half.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think that's a great point.

Up to now, Carlos has generally started matches with FF and a striker, and we look toothless are rarely score. 15/16 was exactly the same. We went months scoring only two goals in first halves with that set-up.

However, if we start with FF wide and two strikers, taking the game to oppos from the off, it's a good tactic to put FF up later on, when the oppos have to take risks.

I also agree that we will need Adam's fabulous energy and his pace at LB. He has been decent but under-whelming as LW, but has twice the energy and pace of Pudil. 

Several posters fret about the FF and Reach partnership defensively. I see it as a hugely exciting attacking approach, which will pin the right side of oppos back deep in their own half.

It's both exiting on the attacking side cause Reach looks like he got energy to give him and FF with overlaps etc Reach crossing FF shooting from distance then back to Reachs disapline doing his job getting back and defending. Both sides of coin fixed in my eyes 

As the season approaches, I'm convincing myself that we have an abundance of options and set ups at our disposal. 

FF wide, supported by energy of Reach behind him and solidity of Hutch / Jones and Lee inside of him. 

Or energy and running of Boyd, Reach and Lee allowing us to play creative player like Abdi in a midfield 4. 

19 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Carlos is one to stick to his guns , regardless of whether it's right or wrong . With ff attitude last season and the amount of games he missed, is he really to be relied on all season? 

Bannan will play plenty of times on the wing as will abdi and lee. 

I don't think player wise we are too far off, but like last season tactically I think we will fall short. 

Who knows , happy to be proved wrong 

Any manager or director, in any business or sport, takes stock on their Summer break. Bosses never stop thinking, reviewing, plotting and planning. Unless Carlos is as blind stubborn as you suggest he will have looked deeply into what went well ( games 19 to 45), and what went badly (games 1 to 18 and the semis), and has come to conclusions about the coming year.

Boyd in and FF wide looks far more like games 19 to 45. Balance, width, a proper attack and more tempo.

Like you, I have lost my faith in Carlos, and made no secret of that on here. But he is still the helm and is sounding like he may have spotted and reacted to our major flaws. If I am honest I suspect that the slightest blip will see FF up top, Bannan wide and crap slow footie back in place, but I am utterly delighted to be wrong so far.

Edited by Holmowl

11 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

It's both exiting on the attacking side cause Reach looks like he got energy to give him and FF with overlaps etc Reach crossing FF shooting from distance then back to Reachs disapline doing his job getting back and defending. Both sides of coin fixed in my eyes 

Sounds great.

With the ball at Nando's feet, the full-back has to stop Reach on the overlap to cross with his left, but also stop Nando cutting in on his right. Sleepless Friday nights for managers and full-backs. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

Sounds great.

With the ball at Nando's feet, the full-back has to stop Reach on the overlap to cross with his left, but also stop Nando cutting in on his right. Sleepless Friday nights for managers and full-backs. 

Fooook CC WE WILL TAKE OVER AS MANAGERS lol 

Edited by Lomas613

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Sounds great.

You're forgetting Fox in this equation, who could well push on this season. One pre-season friendly game does not a good player make, but by all accounts Morgan Fox was the best player on the pitch against Alfreton. How often have we said our fullback is MOM at any point over the last two years?

We've all written him off (me included)... but maybe the 23 year old is going to prove himself to be a very capable fullback.

Or he'll flop. We can but wait and see!

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

You're forgetting Fox in this equation, who could well push on this season. One pre-season friendly game does not a good player make, but by all accounts Morgan Fox was the best player on the pitch against Alfreton. How often have we said our fullback is MOM at any point over the last two years?

We've all written him off (me included)... but maybe the 23 year old is going to prove himself to be a very capable fullback.

Palmer was also decent in the Alfreton game, as he was against a very tricky Fulham side Probably deserves to start for me

35 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Think that's exactly the mentality to have to be honest

I have absolutely no doubt that FF will be used as a striker in some games, especially as injuries take their toll, and I think it'd be tactically blinkered not to use him as a striker sometimes. But, I'd also say that as a rough guesstimate, I'd split FF's time on the pitch as two-thirds as a left winger, one third as a striker or central attacking roll. The bonus with FF is that, to be fair to him, he's flexible in where you can play him. Would be mad not to take advantage of that, especially when certain games/times in games it'd be ideal to play him in certain positions

I much prefer FF on the left running at defenders than up front.

However part of that is due to Carlos playing only one winger with FF forward.

This year we have enough options that CC should be able to attack without excuses. 

Let's see.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

And may the Lord take mercy....

Haha think we'd do a blinding job mate we'll have CC as assistant though save face he can take all of training sessions we just turn up on Saturday with front row tickets :D boss about abit win games take credit win win win haha 

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Not forgetting Fox.

He was bizarre last season. Some games he looked the dog's crackers, high energy overlaps ended with Beckham-esque first-time crosses.

Then in others he looked like he hadn't slept for a month. One day Zeberdee from the Magic Roundabout, next day Dillon.

My hope is that we start the season and most matches with the positive pairing of Reach-FF down the left. If there are games he wants belt and braces solidity, then Fox-Reach or Pudil-Reach, with Nando benched rather than striker.

7 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

Haha think we'd do a blinding job mate we'll have CC as assistant though save face he can take all of training sessions we just turn up on Saturday with front row tickets :D boss about abit win games take credit win win win haha 

I run a toddlers footie team, and I think I am already beyond my comfort zone.

Mind you, I bet Carlos doesn't have to stop his subs bottle-flipping and jumping into the stream. Easy money.

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I run a toddlers footie team, and I think I am already beyond my comfort zone.

Mind you, I bet Carlos doesn't have to stop his subs bottle-flipping and jumping into the stream. Easy money.

Where you do that mate I got 4 yr old and 2 yr old love footie

50 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Which also means neither Bannan nor Abdi play wide.

Two proper strikers

Two wingers

Two CMs

FF running at defenders

Goals!!

Happy days.

What do you think will be our best CM pairing?  We seem to have some great midfielders but it seems strange there's no obvious pairing in my mind 

Bannan & Lee = too weak?

Hutch & Lee = not enough creativity?

Hutch & Bannan = too deep?

Etc etc 

Im starting to think Hutch & Abdi would be good, but then you lose the control of Bannan and the work rate of Lee! 

Hopefully someone else has a better solution than I can come up with 

If FF is going to play left then IMO we need a solid left back as he will end up leaving a lot of space down that flank I reckon. I don't trust any of our current left backs (and Reach) to do a sound defensive job. Also will be very interesting who the 2 CM's will be as I can't see Boyd not playing so there shouldn't be anymore shoe horning 3 CMs in the starting line up. Would love to see Abdi come good but I can't see him starting alongside say Lee as it is far too attacking IMO. Can only suggest it will be Bannan and Lee to start the season which for me is far from ideal. 

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not forgetting Fox.

He was bizarre last season. Some games he looked the dog's crackers, high energy overlaps ended with Beckham-esque first-time crosses.

Then in others he looked like he hadn't slept for a month. One day Zeberdee from the Magic Roundabout, next day Dillon.

My hope is that we start the season and most matches with the positive pairing of Reach-FF down the left. If there are games he wants belt and braces solidity, then Fox-Reach or Pudil-Reach, with Nando benched rather than striker.

Agree with this.  Some kids are mature players at 23 but many like Fox need a few more years to find consistency. I think he did enough in games like Norwich where he was fantastic to have a chance this year to find his feet.