So no wingers needed

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Whilst I think FF is awesome for us, I'd love to see someone with the quality of deliveries Snodgrass has in the team. 

Not saying has had to be Snodgrass but can you imagine the headed goals between Winall, Rhodes, Fletcher with those crosses coming in? 

I think you posted about us scoring most headers last season, which shocked me! I think we would score 50% more with that kind of quality in team.

I think the headers post was my mate ishsb.

I think Carlos has always wanted FF out left. Last season he made all the right noises, quoted stats about effectiveness on left. To be fair I thought @holmeowl was feeding him notes. 

Then due to injury / unfitness / lack of form we ended up with fewer and fewer options upfront. Fast forward 10 months and we now have Winall, Rhodes in the mix. 

I think our strength with the mix of wide players / wingers at our disposal is second only to our strength in forwards. Certainly not an area of concern. 

27 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hope you are wrong. Hope we never see him start a match as second striker. 

Hull last year and Huddersfield thus year are perfect examples of how toothless the team becomes when we play with one striker and no threat down one side of the pitch. 

As I type, of the 650 who have voted in the Star poll (ok 277 were me.....joke):-

35 want him dropped or gone

220 want him behind a front two - but Carlos has told us it's 442, so that role won't exist

40 want him striker

345 want him wide left

I'm delighted he has said this. Hope he means it. 

Bloody hell - imagine if fans' votes counted for anything...we'd have George Hirst replacing Rhodes; McGugan as our midfield lynchpin; and we'd be changing formation every 45 seconds!

:duntmatter:

As I say, I'm happy to hear that Carlos is planning on using Forestieri on the left more frequently this season, but I'd be surprised if we never see him used as a second striker at any point during the campaign. 

42 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I'm probably amongst the minority. I'm pleased that we seem to have learned lessons and aren't spunking money left, right, and centre on average players this pre-season. There is enough talent in this squad as it is if Carlos can get the balance right and put out a settled team every week.

Agreee completely there. I know it was only alfreton but if you watch extended highlights back seems to me that already we seem a lot more intense going forward building from back again but not hanging on ball as much as last year. So far seems different might be wrong but I hope lol 

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Bloody hell - imagine if fans' votes counted for anything...we'd have George Hirst replacing Rhodes; McGugan as our midfield lynchpin; and we'd be changing formation every 45 seconds!

As I say, I'm happy to hear that Carlos is planning on using Forestieri on the left more frequently this season, but I'd be surprised if we never see him used as a second striker at any point during the campaign. 

No of course they count for nothing. 

But 345 v 40, among fans who I assume watch many matches each season, is pretty stark.

Anyway, Im so happy this morning I am going to find a wheat field to run through.

47 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I'm probably amongst the minority. I'm pleased that we seem to have learned lessons and aren't spunking money left, right, and centre on average players this pre-season. There is enough talent in this squad as it is if Carlos can get the balance right and put out a settled team every week.

Im pleased too.

We have started poorly each of Carlos's two seasons. Chopping and changing and finding formations and players.

If the season could start with the current squad, plus one CB, I would be very happy.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

No of course they count for nothing. 

But 345 v 40, among fans who I assume watch many matches each season, is pretty stark.

Anyway, Im so happy this morning I am going to find a wheat field to run through.

True, but then 283 of those who voted reckon his best position is behind a front two...a position he's played once as we struggled to beat Bolton at Hillsborough!

20 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Think that's exactly the mentality to have to be honest

I have absolutely no doubt that FF will be used as a striker in some games, especially as injuries take their toll, and I think it'd be tactically blinkered not to use him as a striker sometimes. But, I'd also say that as a rough guesstimate, I'd split FF's time on the pitch as two-thirds as a left winger, one third as a striker or central attacking roll. The bonus with FF is that, to be fair to him, he's flexible in where you can play him. Would be mad not to take advantage of that, especially when certain games/times in games it'd be ideal to play him in certain positions

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

This season will be a carbon copy of last season depending on if other teams unperform again. If they don't I can't see us finishing as high as 4th

Why the same again?

Already the signing of Boyd and the article about Nando suggests we won't see Bannan or Abdi wide.

The article on Nando suggests we are playing two strikers.

The use of two wingers, especially when one is FF, will increase our tempo and get the ball wider and higher earlier.

I thought we would see very similar trudge to our start last year, but I am now hugely optimistic we will see far better football and really push to be 1st or 2nd.

Also think starting FF on left with reach as LB opens up some very good tactical changes depending on game.

if we are winning we can replace one of our strikers with a defender pushing FF up and Reach to LM meaning more defensive minded players on pitch but still flair from FF and potentially reach.

if we are loosing we can approach 4-3-3 FF moving up top swap a CM with a Deffender pushing Reach to LM to pump crosses in and still having a solid back 4.

just by that alone could help at times. Atleast I think that anyway lol I'm no manager but I can hazard a guess lol 

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Why the same again?

Already the signing of Boyd and the article about Nando suggests we won't see Bannan or Abdi wide.

The use of two wingers, especially when one is FF, will increase our tempo and get the ball wider and higher earlier.

I thought we would see very similar trudge to our start last year, but I am now hugely optimistic we will see far better football and really push to be 1st or 2nd.

Love it perfect reply to that dope lol 

2 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Sounds like CC is coming to his senses, he's more or less said that  FF is going to be out wide this year and he's hinted at a more attacking approach

This really does bode well 

Which also means neither Bannan nor Abdi play wide.

Two proper strikers

Two wingers

Two CMs

FF running at defenders

Goals!!

Happy days.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Why the same again?

Carlos is one to stick to his guns , regardless of whether it's right or wrong . With ff attitude last season and the amount of games he missed, is he really to be relied on all season? 

Bannan will play plenty of times on the wing as will abdi and lee. 

I don't think player wise we are too far off, but like last season tactically I think we will fall short. 

Who knows , happy to be proved wrong 

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Think that's exactly the mentality to have to be honest

I have absolutely no doubt that FF will be used as a striker in some games, especially as injuries take their toll, and I think it'd be tactically blinkered not to use him as a striker sometimes. But, I'd also say that as a rough guesstimate, I'd split FF's time on the pitch as two-thirds as a left winger, one third as a striker or central attacking roll. The bonus with FF is that, to be fair to him, he's flexible in where you can play him. Would be mad not to take advantage of that, especially when certain games/times in games it'd be ideal to play him in certain positions

Exactly. One-size fits all approaches to formations, lineups and tactics don't work in the real world; they're merely the currency of naive forum posters and Football Manager aficionados.