Meeting Nuhiu

23 minutes ago, Totleyowl said:

Nigel Worthington he lived down  lane  near the old fleur-de-lys in Totley  ...I had  to walk past his cottage  after kicking out  time ..And he was always walking his great big nasty rottweilers when i walked past ..... He wer a reeet miserable bugger  i once asked  if he was playing at weekend and told me to mind mi own business..... Met waddle and hirsty loads o times ....Mel Sterland  used  to go in bookies In Bradway  He wa a reet laugh...Mi old man talks  to a couple of old pig players  from 90s in ther  now ...Brain  Gayle  and  Jamie Hoyland ...

Well, that's a bold statement.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Not sure this story reflects particularly well on me, but whatever. 

So I met (more saw) JJ at a nightclub several years ago (think it was Embrace). Now earlier in the day I'd seen Wednesday lose to Coventry 1-0 and JJ in particular was utter sh*te, at his absolute worst. So I'm stumbling out of Embrace at 2 in the morning (I'd had a few) and I see a group of our players coming into the club, one of whom was JJ. 

I go up to JJ and say "Are you Jermaine Johnson?" 

He goes: "Yeah. Yeah I am."

I go: "Well you're f00king sh*t!!!" 

and then I walked off...

But then I thought *what if he thinks I'm a fan of Dem Blades?!?!"

So I turn around and go: "Oh and to clarify, I'm a Wednesday fan - and I still think you're sh*t !!!" 

Pretty sure I saw Akpo Sodje laughing. 

Then I walked off. 

To surmise: I'm a bit of a bellend. 

Sorry JJ. Love you really. 

To be honest I think we had all worked that out from the first line where you unashamedly confessed to going to Embrace!

Haven't met many since the Sturrock era.

I remember meeting Danny Wilson (manager version) in East Midlands airport. He gave me and my brother his autograph on some used boarding cards and was a really pleasant guy, turns out he was off to buy Sibon and De Bilde, I should've stolen his!

I saw the entire squad in the playoff season out in the leadmill, most absolutely smashed, Hamshaw being the worst off, dancing on his own and shaking his big arce around. Proudlock, Graeme Lee and Richard Wood took the more VIP approach sitting in a corner with lasses in silence scanning the room. Had a good chat with Lee Peacock and JP who seemed really down to earth and didn't take themselves too seriously. I felt a bit bad talking to them about football on a night out and tried desperately to conjure up some other subjects to talk about as one of my mates brutally quizzed Steve Maclean about his rumoured move to Crystal Palace ( eyes to the floor, a sigh into his 50p bottle of fosters.and "I don't know" was the only answer I can remember).

I tried talking to Patrick Collins too as I knew one of his best mates in the NE, he was a really sound and normal lad and was pleasantly surprised when I mentioned it , but when it dawned on me that I was having a normal conversation with a guy I'd been watching on the pitch my mind went blank and I made my excuses. Awkward. It was a shame he never managed to stick in at a decent level as he was quite a confident player on the ball.

The season after I saw Craig Rocastle in Sheffield Kebab House. He seemed nice too but to be fair he was more interested in talking to the lass I was with!

I wonder how many venture into Sheffield Kebab House now? Perhaps Glenn Loovens is more of an Aslans man?

Edited by Bluesteel

Seen Sheridan and Waddle together, both pissed as a fart, in a pub down Gleadless. That was quite funny.

Saw Sasso and Joao walking together with suitcases towards the train station day before Charlton away in 15/16.

Also saw 3 of our current youth team in Meadowhall, at the time I only recognised Murphy and Clare but now I know the other was O'Grady.

7 hours ago, 19owl08 said:

Seen Joao out doing a bit of shopping but I don't bother them in those situations. 

At the ground most seem to be more than happy to sign autographs & have photos. Matias especially so on the few occasions my lad has seen him. There was one time he was parked at the store car park & was signing for over 20 minutes.

That's longer than he's played for us!

My mate saw Waddle in a toilet of a pub and knew I was a fan.  He then asked him to write me a good luck note for my imminent wedding day. It was a poorly rushed, one handed scrawl that could've said anything, but I still got it laminated and got married with it in my breast pocket on my most wonderous of days.  

Got divorced less than 2 years later.  Still have the note.  :)

(Now have 3 kids with someone else and am happily tied down!)

CC goes to my gym, spoke with him in passing on a few occasions - congratulated him on results, etc. Saw him last Saturday when I was with my little one and he took the time to speak with him and on finding out he played football he asked my lad if "he would play for Wednesday when he was older?" my lad replied with a an unflinching "YES!" 

A thoroughly decent and humbled bloke is our manager/head coach.  

Edited by AwokenGiant

Simon Stainrod used to be my next door neighbour, it was the early-mid 80s, I was four, I apparently kicked a ball around with him regularly and I don't remember it.

Vienna, Austria... February 2011... me and Our Gert had been to Schloß Schönbrunn for a lovely walk around the palace gardens. Consulted the map and realised that Rapid Viennas ground was along the same tram route so paid it a visit... found the gates were open so we wandered in unopposed and just sauntered around the ground at a leisurely pace, taking a few sneaky pictures but kinda scared the gestapo would come and take us away...

183941_10150388265235247_3789111_n.jpg?o

Fear heightened as on the way out we quite literally bumped into a tall man mountain in football gear, followed by several more people in football gear all heading to what turned out to be the training ground... we'd run into a 'top secret' training session (they were on their winter break) which we stopped and watched for a bit. They started off with some sort of football/rugby hybrid which the tall lad was absolutely killing at due to his height. No pictorial evidence was gained because of the aforementioned fear of the gestapo... pictures were too much of a risk...

Fast forward a few years and the tall lad, unbeknownst to me, turned out to be our very own Atdhe Nuhiu.

GOD I WISH I'D TAKEN PHOTOS.

2 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Simon Stainrod used to be my next door neighbour, it was the early-mid 80s, I was four, I apparently kicked a ball around with him regularly and I don't remember it.

Vienna, Austria... February 2011... me and Our Gert had been to Schloß Schönbrunn for a lovely walk around the palace gardens. Consulted the map and realised that Rapid Viennas ground was along the same tram route so paid it a visit... found the gates were open so we wandered in unopposed and just sauntered around the ground at a leisurely pace, taking a few sneaky pictures but kinda scared the gestapo would come and take us away...

183941_10150388265235247_3789111_n.jpg?o

Fear heightened as on the way out we quite literally bumped into a tall man mountain in football gear, followed by several more people in football gear all heading to what turned out to be the training ground... we'd run into a 'top secret' training session (they were on their winter break) which we stopped and watched for a bit. They started off with some sort of football/rugby hybrid which the tall lad was absolutely killing at due to his height. No pictorial evidence was gained because of the aforementioned fear of the gestapo... pictures were too much of a risk...

Fast forward a few years and the tall lad, unbeknownst to me, turned out to be our very own Atdhe Nuhiu.

GOD I WISH I'D TAKEN PHOTOS.

If he'd scored then you could've posted the worldie that he always scores  lol