Meeting Nuhiu

John Harkes was a good lad - met him when he tried to buy the house next door to our old one, but in the end he was outbid, purely coincedentally, by Jamie Hoyland's brother (JH was playing for the Blunts at the time too). His brother, it turned out, was a really lovely bloke as well.

Oh, and I 'met' Roy Hattersley outside Wembley in 1991 after we'd won, he was walking past and loads of people were patting him on the back so I tried to get in on the action but I was only 10 and not very tall, so I jumped and reached over a couple of people and ended up accidentally slapping him across the cheek. :tango:

Met Chansiri after the semi-final penalties. He looked absolutely gutted so I walked up to him, said thank you so much and shook his hand.

My missus smiled at him to try and cheer him up (must feel bad missing out on £250m+), and that got him to smile back - he looked a bit less down after that. 

Barry Bannan messaged me back on Facebook once when I complimented his performance in a match.  He just thanked me and said he appreciated the praise. It did get me to thinking that perhaps sending some praise to our players on social media might improve their performances by improving their confidence. They must get a LOT of hate and criticism.

Edited by Jarvy

Back in about 98 I went to Meadowhall after finishing lectures at University and saw Paolo Di Canio in HMV looking at the Dannii Minogue calendar (the nudie one she did). Couldn't miss the opportunity and got him to sign my uni folder. We even shared a knowing smile at the impressive sight of Miss Minogue's melons on the back cover.

Twas a sweet moment.

Also remember coming out the Nursery Tavern on Eccy Road and seeing him, Benito Carbone and another dude drinking outside the old Champs. There were lots of rumours about Carbone leaving at the time and I thought it appropriate to actually go and hug him and beg him not to leave. Shows what youthful exuberance and 5 pints of Strongbow can do to you... looking at soft muck with Di Canio and physically grappling Carbone - these days I'd be too embarrassed to ask Morgan Fox for a quick selfie.

1 hour ago, CharlieOwl said:

I used to work in one of the Meadowhall restaurants and never actually saw that many Wednesdays player. Only Jermaine Johnson if memory serves. In all fairness the second I finished work I pretty much ran out of the building and wouldn't ever venture near MeadowHELL for one of my days off. 

I think JJ is the only Wednesday player I saw in Meadowhall, I remember his girl having the biggest arse I've seen on a woman. Like huge.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

John Harkes was a good lad - met him when he tried to buy the house next door to our old one, but in the end he was outbid, purely coincedentally, by Jamie Hoyland's brother (JH was playing for the Blunts at the time too). His brother, it turned out, was a really lovely bloke as well.

Oh, and I 'met' Roy Hattersley outside Wembley in 1991 after we'd won, he was walking past and loads of people were patting him on the back so I tried to get in on the action but I was only 10 and not very tall, so I jumped and reached over a couple of people and ended up accidentally slapping him across the cheek. :tango:

Bloke I work with lives in the same village as Roy - ahem, Lord - Hattersley, and got invited round for supper by him and the good Lady a couple of weeks' back. Thoroughly decent chap by all accounts.

Unfortunately my mate didn't probe him for this thoughts on Wednesday as he's a blunt.

Was in Crystal after we got promoted in 2012 and a load of the players came in. Nicky Weaver, Danny Baath, Antonio etc. along with Clinton Morrison. Bought them all a brandy for their good work for the season except for Clinton, bought him a bag of cheese and onion 

Was extremely amusing

25 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Back in about 98 I went to Meadowhall after finishing lectures at University and saw Paolo Di Canio in HMV looking at the Dannii Minogue calendar (the nudie one she did). Couldn't miss the opportunity and got him to sign my uni folder. We even shared a knowing smile at the impressive sight of Miss Minogue's melons on the back cover.

a bold choice for college stationery

1 hour ago, Lomas613 said:

I'll add some more worked for owls shop ages ago only for couple of months tommy spurt came in I was serving him at same time some friends of mine came in one a blade we took psssss out of the blade together. Also met lee grant legend that bloke really down to earth. But the biggest misers all b@stard award goes to Luke varney he's a nob. And I had to print his shirt :(

You didn't print Tommy Spurts (!) shirt as well did ya ?  lol

Remember my earliest memory of meeting some players if it classes as such. I was about 10 & we had a football presentation at our school as we pretty much cleaned up that year winning league and cup, so our sports teacher (owls fan) somehow managed to get 3 SWFC players in to present the trophies. John Pearson, Brian Marwood AND Chris Morris (A real Owls favourite....cough.....cough)..

Now, we had to form an orderly queue to get our trophies from the players who were randomly stepping forward presenting them. There was all the usual childish exciting discussions & chatting as it was nearer your turn to get the award. I was about 6 places from the front and I turned round to my mate and said, "I hope I get Marwood" (who was one of my favourite players at the time ) to present mine..... low and behold my turn arrives and Chris F00king Morris steps forward and as he does, I turn around again and shout to my mate " I KNEW I'D GET HIM" with my face (apparently) like thunder ! Needless to say, Chris wasn't that impressed and more or less shoved the trophy into my hand  lol. Mate still talks about it today

Struck up a conversation with Phil king in the toilets at the after season dinner at Hillsborough 91 and had several pints in the star at Cudworth with hirsty many a time, both top blokes 

I was with my boy wanting a photo with players and Nando pulls up in his car and the small crowd gathers around. 

A really lsrge bloke who looks like a professional autograph hunter or collector just push my lad out of the way and another woman's son stood near me. 

As soon as he opened his car door this balloon pressed a shirt and prolgramme in his face, Before either her of us could say anything and without saying a word Nando just looked him up and down and said "NO" and signed my lads programme and the other little lads shirt. 

Walked back a bit and he did everyone apart from him, shows manners cost nothing and fair play Nando.

to that man in the size 5xl Wednesday shirt I hope you got nothing. 

IMG_0044.JPG

• Like 1

Seen Joao out doing a bit of shopping but I don't bother them in those situations. 

At the ground most seem to be more than happy to sign autographs & have photos. Matias especially so on the few occasions my lad has seen him. There was one time he was parked at the store car park & was signing for over 20 minutes.

Me and my mate were the first Wednesdayites to get David Hirst's autograph after he signed for us. We were outside the players entrance when his dad dropped him off.

"Are you David Hirst?" 

"Yeah" 

"Sign this please" 

I bet he still remembers that as the moment he realised he'd made it big.