The name Wednesday

4 hours ago, markowl said:

To be totally fair.....

Dem Blades have decided to go to town on the fact they are the first United. We, as a club, don't make a big thing about our team name.

That's why they (rightly) get ridiculed. 

Erm, of course we make a thing of our name. Our famous slogan is 'WAWAW' isn't it? Which technically has some basis in fact as you will see later in this post. This entire thread is about the moniker 'Wednesday' and yes, in the professional, modern game it is quite unique. Sadly, if anyone is really interested, the name isn't unique, in fact far from it. In the early days of football many clubs emerged from athletics clubs (which included cricket teams such as our own ancestry) and also church and chapel based clubs. Football emerged from these clubs as a pastime, to earn some money when the sports were thin on the ground and then to keep fit midweek, hence 'Wednesday football clubs' became a thing. The terminology was used across the entire country and there were literally hundreds of 'Wednesday football clubs' in the 1800's and early 1900's. It was just a common phrase of the day, that's all. As we were at the forefront of the Sheffield Rules we, naturally, were likely to be the first club to widely use the name, but this is probably not provable. In any case it was never unique, until we joined the Football League and then it became quite unique. The phrase (and clubs named as such) has since gone out of use, mainly. That leaves us with this rather lovely name that is known across the land as us, Sheffield Wednesday.

595eb0cf412c8_Sep1881.png.c0147b9d4c1bfd19b8e8d1cd0ef96934.png

595eb0dfedd19_Sep1886.png.39ca0ae5ebdfb984df9c8aec860d1e64.png

595eb10718f38_Nov1886.png.db28a55adb724a049f2aabe3f81280f2.png

595eb114915ce_Nov1887.png.62d1da46514bfe23be6489848c088108.png

595eb126e4213_Dec1889.png.7925d78a0b693b8599b53f324bd08991.png

595eb13ab328e_Nov1901.png.d201ea70430a81fc7f2d3d1728d4debf.png

DISCLAIMER: Just in case any dirty piggy pigs are reading this, the earliest known use of 'Wednesday football club' i have ever seen was attributed to us, so if you want to grasp at straws and claim we weren't the first 'Wednesday' then you will have to go to great lengths to prove it. Also, you are still our filthy placenta. Cheers.

Oh, and this is the first news clipping i know of with the 'Wednesday football club' moniker, from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph in 1867, just in case some filthbag wants to try to find proof of another Wednesday before then. But i doubt they will. All the ones above are later in the 1800's or so.

595eb3bb1809d_Oct1867.png.3ac498784b7534859249b0f67c66dbc1.png

Hang on, I made a bàlls up there, the first one was from the same publication but on the 6th of November. But strictly that was as 'Sheffield Wednesday Cricket and Football Club' and not 'Wednesday football club. But you get my point.

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, alanharper said:

The other lot still falsely claim that they're the original United - they seem to think that if you repeat something often enough it becomes fact.

The still claim they called us pigs first.

What can you say, they lie!

In Kenya in 2009, visited a Masai village and one of the young village men asked where we were from.  I said Sheffield and he said 'ah Sheffield United?'.  I was gutted.  He didn't remember us being in the Premier League.

This was after the men did the traditional jumping up as high as you can dance in the traditional garb, but as they were doing it a mobile phone flew out from under one of their robes - kind of shattered the whole illusion.

1 hour ago, moralturpitude said:

In Kenya in 2009, visited a Masai village and one of the young village men asked where we were from.  I said Sheffield and he said 'ah Sheffield United?'.  I was gutted.  He didn't remember us being in the Premier League.

This was after the men did the traditional jumping up as high as you can dance in the traditional garb, but as they were doing it a mobile phone flew out from under one of their robes - kind of shattered the whole illusion.

Thats because it is an illusion. I lived in Kenya and the image tourists see is vastly different from the real Kenya.