The name Wednesday

Wherever I have been overseas and got into football conversation with locals they always say "Wednesday" when I mention that I come from Sheffield. That is really massive name recognition, I can't recall any mention of United, but then again there are dozens of Uniteds and only one Wednesday, when we get into the Premiership we should exploit the name worldwide.

59 minutes ago, alanharper said:

The other lot still falsely claim that they're the original United - they seem to think that if you repeat something often enough it becomes fact.

had this argument with a united fan a couple of weeks ago but i couldn't remember the original ..who was it?

7 hours ago, alanharper said:

The other lot still falsely claim that they're the original United - they seem to think that if you repeat something often enough it becomes fact.

And you can provide facts to disprove the claim?

Edit.  Yes - seems you can.  A London team called Hanover Utd.  Ok.   Fetch the fraud squad in.    :-)

Edited by Lincs Owl

I'll get negged for this but I think we would benefit big time commercially if we dropped Sheffield from our name. It's not as if people don't know where Wednesday are from plus we distance ourselves from McCabe's lot :star:

39 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

And you can provide facts to disprove the claim?

Edit.  Yes - seems you can.  A London team called Hanover Utd.  Ok.   Fetch the fraud squad in.    :-)

Yes their claims can be disproven, but facts and evidence mean nothing to dem blades, they just believe and repeat what they want to and then it's fact in their heads.

After all, these are the ones who invented a fictional "library document" 20+ years ago that despite being strewn with basic errors still gets passed around as fact to this day, and even stoop to photoshopping ordnance survey maps to try and back up their false claims.

8 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

Wherever I have been overseas and got into football conversation with locals they always say "Wednesday" when I mention that I come from Sheffield. That is really massive name recognition, I can't recall any mention of United, but then again there are dozens of Uniteds and only one Wednesday, when we get into the Premiership we should exploit the name worldwide.

It's the premier league and we've already been there...

22 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yes their claims can be disproven, but facts and evidence mean nothing to dem blades, they just believe and repeat what they want to and then it's fact in their heads.

After all, these are the ones who invented a fictional "library document" 20+ years ago that despite being strewn with basic errors still gets passed around as fact to this day, and even stoop to photoshopping ordnance survey maps to try and back up their false claims.

Whats that about? 

When my son arrived for his year out in Australia he crashed on Brisbane beach, the first thing that he noticed was two guys in SWFC shirts having a kick about, we are everywhere, I just wonder if Neil Armstrong was a Wednesdayite.

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

To be totally fair, we weren't/aren't the only club called Wednesday. There have been loads, we are just a relic of the cricketing world and a bygone era.

We are all too quick to (rightly) mock S2 but we have to realise we weren't unique.

8 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

To be totally fair, we weren't/aren't the only club called Wednesday. There have been loads, we are just a relic of the cricketing world and a bygone era.

We are all too quick to (rightly) mock S2 but we have to realise we weren't unique.

To be totally fair.....

Dem Blades have decided to go to town on the fact they are the first United. We, as a club, don't make a big thing about our team name.

That's why they (rightly) get ridiculed. 

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

What annoys me most is when media football pundits and commentators just call us "Sheffield"

Couldn't agree with you more.  Man Utd often get called United, Man City are City, there are loads of United's and Cities.  Yet we're called Sheffield, when in the professional game we're unique, call us Wednesday and you're in no doubt who is being spoken about.