July 1st 1992 - the Messiah arrived.

43 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Waddle was the best Wednesday player I've ever seen, and easily my favourite.

I used to spend hours as a kid trying to perfect his shimmy.

Oh, and he's responsible for my favourite ever Wednesday moment, too...

595d1e93b1400_WaddleFreekick.jpg.53cf65a7c25b0eb7531bf2eef9c839b5.jpg

That was some freekick. He tried it again in the final but Seaman tipped it over.

I remember match of the day saving our game at Everton until last as they announced "the return of Chris Waddle to England" He did very little and went off injured (after 15 minutes???) I recall saying at the time that Francis had wasted our money.......how wrong was I? Best player I've ever seen in a blue & white shirt.

echo what most think about him as the greatest Ive ever seen wearing a Wednesday badge, looking back over the years I feel more and more privileged to have seen that era of our history.

Its sad that any one under 25 has to listen to us bang on about it but it was really as good as us old buggers make out and I fear that the greatest period I will ever witness was during my teens, which is equally sad

I still get a shiver thinking about this. It was an unbelievable signing and whilst, in the end, I wasn't a Francis fan, his presence undoubtedly helped steer this genius towards S6, rather than sign for Leeds who were champions at the time. We'd all seen some his tricks for Marseille (including what would have been one of the goals of all time.......Christ he could even play in the dark!!) but didn't really expect the same for us.

I remember turning up at his first game (Everton away) expecting it to have been a dream but there he was......at least for 15 mins or so until he was injured. But at least we knew he was ours.

In an era when the word great is now used to describe bang average players, he truly was a great player, probably the best I've seen playing for Wednesday and I doubt that anyone who was at the West Ham game will ever forget it. I doubt that even the likes of Best, Messi or Ronaldo have dominated a game like he did. I feel privileged to have seen him play for us.....sighs wistfully for his like again (and Hirst, Shez, Roly)

On 05/07/2017 at 09:09, abdiwonderland said:

Didnt rate him at all. Had no work rate. 

Can't believe you have been negged, my first reaction was to laugh and assume you're taking the wee wee.

Have that Wembley picture up in the bedroom, brings a smile to my face when I first wake up, until I turn over and see our lass!

Edited by OWL1969

Quite simply the greatest player I've ever seen play in our blue and white, and probably the greatest player I'll ever see play for us too.

The word legend doesn't do him justice frankly.

In terms of British midfielders and flair players in the 80s and 90s, without any bias he was up there with the very best. Ask people on the continent about British football in the 80s and 90s and the majority will mention Waddle along with the likes of Dalglish; Gazza, Hoddle, Barnes and Beardsley, etc. As those types of flair players were the most European in style and the most world class. Plus he was one of the few British players, that really excelled on the continent back in the day. Waddle was class.

I was quite young but remember how teams would sometimes put 3 players on him when he had the ball.

That's insane. 

But they had too...he would just destroy one defender everytime. Two defenders he would just embarrass. 

Three could just about cope...sometimes.

Edited by trev

A lot of people blamed him, unfairly in my opinion, for crashing out of Italia 90. Many thought his career was over at that time. We took a gamble on him and it paid off. He came as an unknown quantity after Italia 90 and perhaps had something to prove and boy, did he do that! Possibly the best form of his career with us.

On 05/07/2017 at 18:16, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Waddle was the best Wednesday player I've ever seen, and easily my favourite.

I used to spend hours as a kid trying to perfect his shimmy.

Oh, and he's responsible for my favourite ever Wednesday moment, too...

595d1e93b1400_WaddleFreekick.jpg.53cf65a7c25b0eb7531bf2eef9c839b5.jpg

Mine too. Annoys me that pundits etc talk up gascoignes free kick in fa cup against forest as best free kick ever at Wembley .... Waddles hardly gets a mention ... errrr hello !!!?? Unbelievable goal - my best ever Owls moment and goal. Against the pigs .... at Wembley ... oh come on :laugh:

On 7/9/2017 at 13:40, Mr Mercury said:

Mine too. Annoys me that pundits etc talk up gascoignes free kick in fa cup against forest as best free kick ever at Wembley .... Waddles hardly gets a mention ... errrr hello !!!?? Unbelievable goal - my best ever Owls moment and goal. Against the pigs .... at Wembley ... oh come on :laugh:

It was the semi final against Arsenal and Seaman was beaten yet again from distance when he should have stopped it. We slag off Woods but Seaman dropped some right howlers from club and country (Nayim, Gazza, Ronaldinho, Keoman spring immediately to mind and there were others) yet he is lauded as some sort of goalkeeping god!!!