July 1st 1992 - the Messiah arrived.

1 hour ago, abdiwonderland said:

Didnt rate him at all. Had no work rate. 

He actually had a good work rate, thing with waddle was his footballing brain was so quick he was always a step or two ahead of everyone else. Plus he never had any real pace, so watching  him tie people in knotts in what looked like slow motion at times as he was that good. Even that self absorbed flouncing Chelsea supporting T@#t love joy off soccer am used to call waddle the patron Saint of skill. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Legend!

I had just turned 7 when we signed him and I remember the buzz that we had signed him. When on holiday, I spent all day playing football pretending to be Waddle scoring loads of goals.

Despite the hype he didn't disappoint at all!

9 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

I genuinely hope that the younger generation of wednesday supporters get to see someone even half as good as he was.

Yes folks....he really was that good

We were very lucky to get him after his spell in France. He was world class and even back then it was a bargain price. I believe he was at his peak for Marseilles and us. His stint in France made him a better player. Those of us old enough to have seen him are very fortunate to have seen a player of that skill and world class quality in a Wednesday shirt. He was phenomenal especially in those first couple of seasons for us and rightfully was the first player of the season of the Premier League era. 

5 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

So he was about the same age as Boyd is now when joining us, yet some say Boyd is past it........

hmmmmmmm.........

You can't comparing Boyd to Waddle are you ????  The gulf in ability and football intelligence equates to the same as comparing somebody like Aiden McGeady to Gareth Bale .

41 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

As brilliant as he was there were still those mumping because of his languid style ! lol

This >>>>>>>>>>>

I remember him being booed in a couple of matches before Christmas!  God didn't have the workrate for some of our students of the game, yearning for Howard's banzai style of a few seasons earlier...

:ghoulguy:

2 hours ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

This >>>>>>>>>>>

I remember him being booed in a couple of matches before Christmas!  God didn't have the workrate for some of our students of the game, yearning for Howard's banzai style of a few seasons earlier...

:ghoulguy:

Can't believe that sorry he was always a crowd favourite 

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Waddle was the best Wednesday player I've ever seen, and easily my favourite.

I used to spend hours as a kid trying to perfect his shimmy.

Oh, and he's responsible for my favourite ever Wednesday moment, too...

595d1e93b1400_WaddleFreekick.jpg.53cf65a7c25b0eb7531bf2eef9c839b5.jpg

That iconic kit was made for Waddle and Sheridan, sheer class just like them 

A million pounds for an over the hill has been, was my first reaction when I heard we signed him.  

My second reaction was that Francis knew sod all about assembling a football team.

My first reaction after watching him play was bloody hell what a player.

My second reaction was Francis knows a bargain when he see's one.